It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2009, 06:34 AM   #1
(female)

klyn07 HB User
Antidepressants

I had been on them when I was misdiagnosed with depression. I mistook flipping to hypomania as being cured and quit taking them only to crash hard a month later. Because of this history my pdoc didn't want to add one to my drug cocktail (Lithium, Lamictal, Abilify, Ativan). Latelty I have been feeling down. My tdoc suggested asking about the antidepressant, stating that the Lithium should stop it from flipping me to hypomania. Anyone else have to add in an antidepressant after a while of being stable and then going into depression again.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2009, 09:39 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User
Re: Antidepressants

I've had to add one, but my depression is labeled, "medication resistand severe suicidal depression" normally I'm doing good if I go a weeke with it being under control.

I'm not on a specific anti-d right now, because like you I am on Lamictal, Abilify, Buspar, Trazadone, etc. and the Abilify and Lamictal act as an anti-depressant. They are both FDA approved to act as an a anti-depressant for BiPolar Depressant.

Kathryn

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2009, 10:00 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User
Re: Antidepressants

I haven't been stable for the past 1.5 years, but my new pdoc added Fluoxetine to my med cocktail in January after I complained about feeling severely depressed during the autumn and winter months.

When I was IP in December, I asked the attending pdoc if he could give me an anti-depressant, but he declined due to my history of rapid cycling and the risk of inducing mania.

Even though I didn't notice any results for 8 weeks, I can now say that I'm starting to feel a difference in the severity and frequency of my depression. I don't feel as depressed as often as I used to and don't feel as suicidal as I used to either.

My pdoc and I both feel that adding an anti-depressant to my med regimen was a good decision.
Prozac 40mg
Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Last edited by dreams in neon; 03-14-2009 at 10:02 AM.

Closed Thread