It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2009, 02:54 PM   #1
(female)

caitlin122 HB User
Pdoc Appt Today

Hi Everyone,
I had my first Pdoc appt. today in more than 6 years. I was really nervous, as my last pdoc way overmedicated me, which landed me in the hospital twice. But the doc I saw today is a APRN, so he can rx meds, but he is also on the psychology side of it as well. He believes I am Bipolar II. My diagnosis has been up in the air for years, it's good to finally have a definite answer. I am already on Effexor XR, and he added Lamictal, which seems to work really well for Bipolar II with barely any side effects. I am also taking one Xanax before bed to help me sleep. I'm very comfortable with this treatment and I'm excited to start it. I think it will really work well for me. I also wanted to let you all know about a feature that google has. It's called google health. You can put in your condition, and put in all your meds, and it will tell you if there are any drug interactions between your meds. It's a whole medical profile where you can track everything in one spot. It's great! You can also import your medical files from your doctors if the doctors office is willing to do so and has the capability. Anyway, that's my update for now. I'm super excited and hopeful, as today was a definite step in the right direction!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2009, 12:27 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Been HB User
Re: Pdoc Appt Today

Hi Caitlin,

Great to hear such a positive message. After 6 years I bet it was hard and had you worrying for a while. A new doc is always of concern as we just desperately need a good one don't we?

I'm Australian so I don't understand the terms you use, like APRN. I assume rx means prescribe?

I've had many a different diagnosis but my last one is BP2, simply because i have had hypomania several times.

The meds you are on I have been on as welll, for this condition. Effexor has been the most reliable one for me over a ten year period, having to go off regularly though due to it wearing out.

I went off Lamictal a while back but I can't remember why. I went onto Lithium instead which has been a good combo.

Thanks for the info on the Google tool. I'll use that for sure!

Good luck

Been

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2009, 07:04 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User

APRN stands for Advanced Practice Registered Nurse.

Caitlin,

I'm sure it wasn't easy to make this decision, but you now have put the hardest step behind you. Congrats!

I did a search on the Internet and learned that APRNs can specialize in psychiatric disorders which is something I never knew before.

At any rate, I'm so happy for you!
Prozac 40mg
Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Last edited by dreams in neon; 03-15-2009 at 07:07 AM.

Old 03-15-2009, 11:24 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Epocrates is a great progam as well you can also log in all of the meds you take to cross check all your meds. You can also ******** this program to your blackberry or Ipod, so that you can check meds anywhere you are. I use mine in my pdocs office alot, as it is the same program he uses, he actually asked me to use it so were on the same page and we get the same info. and can compare notes as to why we each do or don't like a med.

Just some info.

kat

Old 03-15-2009, 11:59 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kat,

When I see my pdoc in 2 weeks, I'm going to ask him if he's familiar with this program. Where can I ******** it?
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 03-15-2009 at 12:00 PM.

Old 03-15-2009, 01:06 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Dreams,

Just off the net. Just google it, there's a section for pdocs and a section for patients. Just ******** the free patient version. It's pretty quick. and then from there you can ******** to your mobile device if you have that capability.

k

Old 03-15-2009, 01:12 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kat,

Is that program graphically based? I could ******** it to my BrailleNote (a PDA for the blind), but if it contains too much graphical information, I won't bother since that doesn't translate into Braille.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 03-15-2009, 01:24 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

No, not really for the PDA use it's pretty much all text. There's actually a section where u choose what way you want to search, RX, Text, etc. So I think you'd be able to use it.

k

Old 03-15-2009, 01:42 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Awesome. I'm definitely going to ******** the program and ask my pdoc about it in 2 weeks.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 03-15-2009, 03:51 PM   #10
(female)

caitlin122 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Been View Post
Hi Caitlin,

Great to hear such a positive message. After 6 years I bet it was hard and had you worrying for a while. A new doc is always of concern as we just desperately need a good one don't we?

I'm Australian so I don't understand the terms you use, like APRN. I assume rx means prescribe?

I've had many a different diagnosis but my last one is BP2, simply because i have had hypomania several times.

The meds you are on I have been on as welll, for this condition. Effexor has been the most reliable one for me over a ten year period, having to go off regularly though due to it wearing out.

I went off Lamictal a while back but I can't remember why. I went onto Lithium instead which has been a good combo.

Thanks for the info on the Google tool. I'll use that for sure!

Good luck

Been
Thanks Been!
Yea, Effexor works really great by itself, so I'm very hopeful adding Lamictal to it. I was on Lithium years ago, but that is when I was overmedicated with many other meds so I really never knew it's effect on me. I'm glad it works for you. I have heard different things on Lithium, and my own experience wasn't so good, so I have always been a little bias towards it, but only due to me being way over medicated.

Old 03-15-2009, 03:52 PM   #11
(female)

caitlin122 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams in neon View Post
APRN stands for Advanced Practice Registered Nurse.

Caitlin,

I'm sure it wasn't easy to make this decision, but you now have put the hardest step behind you. Congrats!

I did a search on the Internet and learned that APRNs can specialize in psychiatric disorders which is something I never knew before.

At any rate, I'm so happy for you!
Yea, I did not know that APRN's could specialize in psych either. It seems to be a good balance, and he is not aggressive with meds, which is totally what I need right now. Thanks Dreams!

Old 03-15-2009, 04:18 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

I'm really glad to hear that your APRN takes a conservative approach when it comes to meds. That will give you time to explore what combination of meds works best for you. Good luck with your treatment! By the way, what type of bipolar do you have? BPI or II? I thought I remember you mentioning that you also have schizophrenic symptoms. Am I correct or am I confusing you with another member of the board?
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 03-15-2009, 05:54 PM   #13
(female)

caitlin122 HB User

Dreams,
I have been offiicially and finally diagnosed with BP II. I think you might be confusing me w/another msg board about the schizophrenic symptoms. I did once experience a few, but that was when I was in the psych ward on many many meds. I think it was drug induced psychosis. That was the onlly time, and it was scary enoght for me. I can't wait for the meds to start working either. I didn't sleep at all last night. My mind wouldn't stop racing, and I can't fill my Xanax until Tuesday. So I was super depressed all day, and I still am. I already starting to worry I won't sleep again. I took some Benedryl to hopefully get me through the night. Being up at night alone, wanting to sleep, but can't and no one to talk to or take your mind off things is an absolutely awful feeling. Sorry for the rant, just had to get that off my chest.

Old 03-15-2009, 06:14 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

I apologize for confusing you with someone else. I'm sorry that you've been struggling to get some sleep. I've had problems with that myself for the past several weeks. What meds are you currently on? I'm glad you have a concrete diagnosis now because that will make it easier to take the steps necessary to help you feel better.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 03-15-2009 at 06:15 PM.

Old 03-15-2009, 06:25 PM   #15
(female)

caitlin122 HB User

Right now I am on Effexor XR, which I have been on since November, I just started Lamictal today, so that will take some time to work, and I have been prescribed Xanax for sleep, but the refill isn't due till Tuesday. I took Bendryl tonight and I am starting to feel sleepy, so that's hopeful. I'm hoping after a good night's sleep I will feel better tomorrow. Having a definite diagnosis definitely gives me more of a stepping stone to maintaining my mood and feeling better.

Closed Thread