It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2009, 11:35 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

light the world HB User
Help for sleeping

One of my problems is trying to get to sleep. I'm not tired at all at night and I can go for a few days at a time without sleep. I usually get racing thoughts as well during the night when I'm awake. I was just wondering whether anyone here has used something that has helped them with racing thoughts but has also helped them fall asleep. I've been on Seroquel which has a great sedation to it but not even that can put me to sleep which amazed my psychiatrist. I know sleep is important I just don't know how I can get it when I get these racing thoughts that keep me awake and the fact that well I'm not even tired anyways at night. Does anyone know of any ways of getting rid of these racing thoughts or ways of putting me to sleep?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2009, 12:20 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Been HB User
Re: Help for sleeping

Hi there,

Seroquel. If it's Slow Release the sedating effect is far less and does not have the "knockout" effect of fast release. Apparently breaking a slow release tab supposedly allows it to work faster as the covering is partially removed but I have not found that at all.

How much are you taking? And what time?

As you'd know sleeping erraticlly really screws with our system and is one of the main things we should focus on to try and stablise. Also the longer we stay awake the better we tend to feel, within limits. This is scientifically proven.

So if you look at those things together your aim might be to :

. Have a set daily routine. Regular meals, exercise and a set sleep time. The exercise is for distraction, to tire you and to release the good body chemicals we have in us, just not enough!

. Take a warm bath an hour or so before sleeping.

. No TV, video games, internet or screen activity for a couple of hours before sleep is due. Read a relatively boring book if you can. Something like history of a city you know is interesting but it does not keep you up at night! No thrillers etc.

. This bit is a personal routine I developed about a year ago. Like you and many others I have had certain thoughts running through my head as long as I can remember. Whenever I wasn't busy or doing something specific my mind would just turn to these thoughts and I would let it as I didn't know any better.

So I started writing a book. For real as well, but firstly in my head. Each time I lay down and found my mind flipping into the usual pattern I'd redirect it and try to focus on the first chapter, How would it start? What was a good first line? What characters would there be? And so on. Then when I woke up I'd open a document and write down at least the outline of what I'd thought up. If I didn't do that it would be lost but I couldn't write the lot, even one chapter in one go due depression problems etc.

OK? So I started this book and each time I lay down I had to redirect again, and again. And still I'd find my mind wandering off onto the usual or whatever.

But gradually it's become so that when I lie down my mind goes firstly to the story. Not the negative stuff. That may intrude but I'm now in a different mode where at least I start with the story.

What this has achieved is to stop those particular thoughts dominating my mind and as such I feel a little better each morning. The bad dreams have dropped right off.

And, I'm actually writing a real book! Over 30,000 words so far, about 1/3rd into it I think. That's great for me as for several years I was so out of things I couldn't read due to not retaining things page to page.

Just some thoughts.

Check our the Seroquel things too though, it's the best I've had for sleep. Aboput an hopur before I want to drop.

Been

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2009, 12:35 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

light the world HB User

Thx for your input been. I take the IR version and not the XR version of the seroquel.XR as in extended release.IR as in immediate release. I take 600mg of the IR seroquel and I still can't fall asleep I just feel to energized. I don't feel tired at all and the racing thoughts keep on bothering me. Is there any other medications that can be used to treat this. By the way I also have psychosis but never when I'm manic. Only when I'm depressed or normal.

Old 03-15-2009, 07:11 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User

under,

Given the fact that you experience psychosis only when you're feeling depressed or normal, it's very likely that you could have schizoaffective disorder.

As far as meds to help address sleep and racing thoughts, I highly recommend Traozodone. This is what I take and it works like a charm. My dose had to be increased to 400mg yesterday due to the fact that I'm manic right now, but it worked great last night and I was able to get 5 hours of sleep which is something I haven't had for several weeks.
Prozac 40mg
Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Last edited by dreams in neon; 03-15-2009 at 07:14 AM.

Old 03-15-2009, 08:02 AM   #5
(male)

noxid HB User

I used to have this problem. My physician many drugs like Trazadone, Ambien, Lunesta, and Restoril. None of them worked for me. Eventually she prescribed Secobarbital Sodium and it worked wonders. I fell asleep fast and woke up feeling very rested. I only needed it for about a week and it got my sleep schedule back on track.

Old 03-15-2009, 11:19 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

The problems with Seconal are many, such as Somnolence, Impaired motor functions, Impaired coordination, Impaired balance, Dizziness, Anxiety, Confusion, Agitation, irritability, or excitability, Headache, Nausea, Vomiting, Nightmares, Increased sensitivity to pain, Allergic reactions, Difficulty breathing, Edema. W/d's are: Secobarbital is a fairly addictive drug, and withdrawal symptoms can occur if long-term usage is abruptly ended. Withdrawal symptoms can include: Anxiety, Insomnia, Lack of appetite, Seizures, Tremor; this is a pretty hardcore drug, and you might want to seriously try every other drug, before heading straight to this one.

With this laundry list of side effects and w/d symptoms my pdoc would shut it down before I could even get the word out of my mouth, and he lets me take a very active role in my treatment as long as it isn't something that will harm me. I use Trazadone like Dreams and am currently @ 300mg and will be going up to 400mg next week.

kat

Old 03-15-2009, 12:01 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kat,

Wow! I've never seen a side effect profile for a med like that before. My goodness!
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 03-15-2009, 12:53 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Yeah well when I read it....I felt a pull to post it, almost like I'd be negectful not to...that is one major hardcore drug with a laundry list that like you, i've never seen before. I have a feeling that your pdoc like mine, would never let you get it out of your mouth before he said NO.

k

Old 03-15-2009, 01:23 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kat,

There's no doubt about that.

For the information of others, there are additional meds that are used for sleep including ProSom/Estazolam, Dalmane/Flurazepam, Doral/Quazepam, Xanax/Alprazolam, Halcion/Triazolam and Klonopin/Clonazepam.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 03-15-2009 at 01:33 PM.

Old 03-15-2009, 01:30 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

he/she did list 3 others, but they are basically all the same drug so it's really misleading when a pdoc goes through all those different drugs and makes you think that your "trying" different drugs it's really misleading. Remeron is a bP med that some Pdocs use for help in sleeping...didn't work for me. I think I've tried just about everyone out there. The only thing that works for me is Ambien, but my pdoc won't let me take it because I had a hypnotic dream state where I ended up cutting myself so bad i had to get 20 stitches, all in my sleep....so I don't get to use that one anymore, or anything in that class of drug.

k

Old 03-15-2009, 01:36 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

I've taken Ambien in the past (twice) and it worked great. My insurance doesn't cover it though, so I take Trazodone insteasd.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 03-15-2009 at 01:36 PM.

Old 03-15-2009, 02:06 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

light the world HB User

Wow you've all given some great input into what meds could be useful. The one that really stuck out to me was trazadone(is that what its called). It sounds like it really helps you sleep. What type of medication is trazadone anyways. By the way do any of you have any reccommendations for racing thoughts. I seem to get them during the night as well and even if I am tired I still can't get to sleep. I know clonazepam I took about 2 months ago when I didn't have any racing thoughts and it really helped to clear the mind. When I was tired then it was easy for me to fall asleep. Now I'm not sure what to do about these racing thoughts. Do you have any suggestions?

By the way how do you do that thing where you list off your like I guess I would call it disorders but in that neat way. Like for example dreams of neon you always say the following disorders that you have after every post. How do you do that in that way?

Old 03-15-2009, 02:15 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

under,

Trazodone is an anti-depressant which is often used as a sleep med.

As for your racing thoughts, I would suggest trying either Trazodone or Clonazepam. Both have sedating effects that should help slown down your thoughts so you can relax and fall asleep.

To make a signature at the end of your post, do the following:

1. Click on "My Settings" (located on the top left of the page)

2. Look on the left side of the screen. You will see a list of options. Click "Edit Signature." Type the information you'd like to include.

3. Click "Save Signature" or "Preview Signature" if you'd like to proofread it.

That's it! If you run into any problems, let me know.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 03-15-2009, 02:19 PM   #14
Inactive
(female)

Under,

Sorry if we went overboard on your post, once Dreams and I get started...well you see what we do.

For the signature under our names, click on Quick Links at the top of the page and then click on Edit Signature, then you can put in whatever you like for your signature.

Trazadone if it makes you sleepy would also help with the racing thoughts at nightime, as you'd be sleeping. Klonopin (clonazapem) also can help with racing thoughts, but there must of been a reason why your pdoc took you off. It can be very addicting and it is the strongest of the benzo's, so taking it for too long probably isn't the best thing.

kat

Old 03-15-2009, 02:20 PM   #15
Inactive
(female)

*l*

And as you can tell, we don't always agree on EVERYTHING which gives us a nice lil bit of contrast, otherwise we'd bore each other.

kat

Closed Thread