It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2009, 09:07 PM   #1
(male)

bfbipolar HB User
My gf

My gf has been balling all day and its because she is very stressed out about not having work, the unemployment isnt helping, and she has 3 midterms this week that she hasn't really studied for. I have been trying to help her though this and its way tough, so is there anyone that can give me some advice on how o help her out. She is bipolar and has add, the aderal kinda works but today it hasn't really helped. she has tried taking 2 showers cause i know that sometimes helps but that didnt work. She has just been way upset all day, can anyone give me some advice on how to help her.

Old 03-15-2009, 09:57 PM   #2
(female)

tigger5150 HB User
Re: My gf

bfbipolar: I would bet that your gf is taking all things going on and lumping them into 1 big thing (that's what a lot of BP people do -- 3 things become one big snowball). As silly as this sounds have you tried giving her a massage (my Pdoc actually recommended this to my partner) and to get her to focus on one thing at a time if that's possible which sounds like her exams first and then look at the job issue..... it's hard to get a BP to calm down sometimes as we tend to see the glass 1/2 empty and everythings a disaster at times.

Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2009, 10:29 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

BFBipolar,

Honestly there's not a whole lot you can do except be there for her. Don't pressure her to talk to you or tell you what's wrong, etc. Because honestly when we get so down that we are crying all day and we don't know why, we can't tell you what you can do. I've been down and crying off and on myself, and I have no idea why. I just woke up like this yesterday for no reason.

Just try to be there if she needs you, but don't pressure her okay? I know it's hard on you, but you sound like a very nice guy to take the time to come on here and try to get some answers to how you can help her, very few men would do that.

Keep talking to us and we'll try to give you as much support as we can.

If this keeps up, tomorrow you might suggest that she call her pdoc and try to get in to see him.

kat

Old 03-15-2009, 10:48 PM   #4
(female)

tigger5150 HB User

Kats right...... if you can manage to be there for her that's one big thing...... and you've at least come some place to try to get some answers so you must care. Best Wishes!!

Old 03-16-2009, 10:37 AM   #5
(male)

bfbipolar HB User

thank you for all of your help, i didnt even think about tha massage, but i finally got her to calm down by having her take a shower again. but i'm not sure if this will help anyone else bumy solution to the problem was the shower and to tell her of all the things that makes her happy. And then just holding her and having her go to bed early I think helped a little. But taking all of her medicine at once? how should she take it, cause she takes it every morning. Then she has to take another 2 pills for her migranes at night. Is there a better way for her. Thank you guys for all of your help.

Old 03-16-2009, 04:52 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Is she taking the meds per her pdocs instructions?

Old 03-16-2009, 04:58 PM   #7
(male)

bfbipolar HB User

Yea, but just today they put her on lexapro for a 2 week trial so i'm not sure if that will help. But her doc is not doing his job at all cause she just basically goes in and tells him what to do. The doc never says any sugestions so i'm trying to convince her that she needs to switch docs. This has been going on for a year to my knowledge

Old 03-16-2009, 09:22 PM   #8
(female)

caitlin122 HB User

I would tell her to be very open to switching doctors. Not every doc knows what they are talking about. I went through many docs till I found one I was comfortable with and who I trusted to do what is what is in my best interest. I had one doc who did not look out for my best interest, and he had a Yale Degree, but I feel he was the worst doc ever. Switching docs may be a good idea.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:12 PM   #9
(male)

bfbipolar HB User

Thanl you guys for posting the experiences with the doctors cause I have been telling her about them and now she is becoming more open to it so I'll do some research in the area to see if I can help her find a good doctor. She was with this doctor before I knew her so its been almost a year so I think its time that I help her with that if she needs it.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:24 PM   #10
(female)

tigger5150 HB User

a good Pdoc is a a major key in the "game" of this disease. Without the correct one you can easily be doomed. It is kind of like shopper beware - and don't be afraid to shop around.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:13 AM   #11
(female)

4KidsMom HB User

bfbipolar,

My brain is starting to shut down, so please forgive me if I lapse a little. I don't want to offend at all, only to encourage and be helpful. And I'm not trying to be bitter, either, sigh.

I think it is wonderful that you are coming here for information and encouragement. I don't know how long the two of you have been together. Have you seen her at her "worst"? Or to you think she might be headed into?

I know that one of the things that I tend to do the first time I go through a bad episode (manic or depressive) with someone new to me and my (erratic) cycles, is try to push them away. (It's been mentioned before around here by others.) But why?

Because we are (opps, sorry, I am) afraid that the (new) s.o. (friend, bf, gf, whatever) is going to leave anyway (don't understand the disease, already prejudice against it, feel snubbed, whatever), so the sooner the better. At least then they don't have to see you (okay, read "me" at the "you"s, the pronouns are confusing my poor tired brain) at your worst - they're gone before then. Besides, pretty soon (if not already) you aren't going to have the energy to call them and do your end of the work at keeping up the relationship. (Kind of like, right now, I'd bet your gf isn't giving a whole lot, even if she'd like to, because she can't.)

This is common to many diseases - "I just found out I have (fill in the blank - cancer, mental illness, MD...) and I'm (going to die, never going to get better, fill in final outcome here), so I don't want to hurt anyone in the long run...so I'll do it now." Illogical, but part of depression and, sadly, long term disease of any kind. But w/ depression or bp, it can (will?) reoccur. (Don't know about any other disease.)

Also, the disease is a life-time disease. Sometimes a good friend can hang around for several years, then say, "Wow. You're at it again!? How many times do you have to go through this? Didn't you get better last time?" Yeah, and you get over colds all the time, but they always come back. But this is quite a bit more emotionally draining. For all involved. We (I) 'd like for it to go away and never come back, too!

If you stay with it and her, she will learn to trust your presence. There will be lots of good time, and lots of hard times, lots of emotionally draining times, lots of crazy times. But if you learn the coping techniques, for yourself and her, and occasionally stop and breath deep and smell the roses with her, it isn't impossible.

As a matter of fact, I have the most wonderful husband I could ever had. Through all my crazy (before diagnosis) college years, he stuck with me, either as bf or friend, depending on where I was. I learned that I could trust him and that he knew how to help me cope and return to reality. (Which is why I actually think you should practice her dad's technique with her - starting gently with lots of emotional support first.) He is my rock to return to when I get tossed by the storms I live in, because he knows where reality is and can (lovingly) help me reset my compass.

It took a lot of time for me to learn to trust him with my chaotic inner thoughts (it's easy to recognize the external ones - as you have learned), and I've had plenty of therapy session to help me learn to weed out unrealistic expectations (extremely helpful coping technique), but over the years (it's been 22 years since we first started dating) our communication and trust have built and built, even through the awful "I spent too much money and we are way in debt again" times. (I've worked awful hard on that one. It is possible to win out over it, thank the Lord, though I'm a recovering shopaholic same as any other addiction.)

He knew (mostly) what he was getting when we got married, and we committed to life before we followed through so we both do our part. I tell him when things are getting bad, he, like a pdoc or tdoc, tells me what to do, asks me what I should be doing, pushes me to do what I know I'm supposed to be doing. And mostly I try to do it. (Not tonight though. His final comment on his way to bed 2.5 hrs ago was, "I'm sorry I ever introduced you to a message board." I haven't been on one in about 6-7 years because once on them I can't get off and I can't go to bed because the only time I have to post is middle of the night. Same for blogs. Won't find me on them.)

One of the more recent things he has been telling me is that at least he knows he has a crazy wife who knows she is crazy. It is getting unbelievable the number of couples we know who are breaking up because one or the other (or both on occasion) won't own up to being mentally ill or can't recognize it or choose to be victims instead of doing something about it. (It is way refreshing to come here and see so many doing something about it and trying to take care of themselves as best they can.) So the "sane" (I've decided there isn't any such thing, just levels and varying kinds of insanity.) person left behind can only shake their head in wonder and decide that the leaving one just must be "crazy" or "insane" or some other label they feel comfortable with in an attempt to understand why the one they care so much about would be so self-destructive. (Please, I know there are times when getting out is best. I'm not addressing those - just the ones in our life right now that are being caused by unaddressed mental disease.)

Anyhoo, that bit of long stuff was just to encourage you in the future. If you are both working on it and can keep working on it together with open eyes (all 4 of them) and hand in hand, and a determination to keep moving forward, even if at times it is after falling down a cliff or finding yourself in waist-high mud, you will (I hope) feel blessed, as I do. I give him support, even though sometimes it is hard for me to remember or to see it, but when I can I do my best to work harder at it (my good days), and I do my best to help him help me. And he continues to have the patience (okay, he is human and he has his moments of impatience but they help me, too) to ride through my ups and downs.

Yeah, okay. I gotta go. That's way too much dumping this late at night. I do hope some pieces of it help you further in your quest to learn how to help your gf. Much luck and blessings to you both. & Good luck on your midterms.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:34 AM   #12
(male)

bfbipolar HB User

4kidsmom,
yea i've seen her at her worste and all i have to say is, yea she is the one for me cause i know that i want to be there to help her though all of the tough times and be there right by her side as the both of us get through everything together. She is the love of my life and i most definetly know what i'm getting into when the time comes and all i see it as knowing my solemate and getting into a ton of good and bad times together. there is one thing that her and i both know and that is that her and i have a great future together.

Closed Thread