It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2009, 09:13 PM   #1
(female)

texastoast HB User
Unhappy definitely depressed but possibly not bipolar?

I have been depressed all my life, going back to my early teens. Not treated effectively, though, until my 20's. Anyway, I was then diagnosed "bipolar 2" in my 30's, and put on tons of mood stabilizers. Many had horrid side effects, finally today I am on lamictil and abilify. But in the past, I've been on geodon (nightmare drug from hell!!!), topamax, lithium, seroquil, remeron, and others I can't even remember (triliptil, I just did remember.) Horrible weight gain with many.

Anyway, here I am today, 60 lbs more than my "normal" adult weight, which I was before all the bipolar nonsense. The reason I say "nonsense" is that I have never, I repeat NEVER, had a mania except caused by an A/D. That's right -- everything any doctor every dx'ed as a mania was caused by either prozac, zoloft, or some other SSRI, or an ADD drug.

But the doctors keep trying to convince me that I'm really bipolar 2 despite never ever having an episode except when I was on an SSRI. The reason I'm bringing all this up is: 1) I'm sick of being fat 2) meds are costing my family an arm and a leg, and my husband is fed up of paying through the nose for them and 3) and this is the biggie: I have had several friends recently tell me that they were "diagnosed bipolar" years ago, then realized it was all crap, stopped taking meds, and now are fine. I've heard this from several people. Their weight issues went away and they have no mood problems at all.

I'm beginning to wonder if the real cure for all this is natural supplements (I keep coming back to SAM-E, which the best psychiatrist I ever had suggested years ago), COQ10, large amounts of B-12, sunshine (sounds stupid, I know) and alot of exercise. Perhaps even severe diet restrictions. As I said, I've had friends who were told they'd be bipolar all their lives and on drugs all their lives and they basically lived to prove the doctors as liars. I just don't know what to think. Color me confused.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2009, 09:30 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User
Re: definitely depressed but possibly not bipolar?

Well honestly you're the only one who can decide what you want to do to treat your BP, or not if you don't believe your BP, it's your choice.

Old 03-15-2009, 09:33 PM   #3
(female)

texastoast HB User

well, since my only manias were caused by either SSRI's or ADD drugs, then it would stand to reason that if I didn't take those, I may not ever cycle up, right? But I still need to keep from cycling down (I think I am basically just unipolar, always have been.) But it's so hard to find a doc who doesn't just throw scripts at you.

Has anyone here ever been to a naturopath or taken a supplement approach to all this?

Old 03-15-2009, 09:42 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

There are types of BP that only have 1 symptom or the other. You can see my dx in my signature, I don't become manic either. The only tijme I have a manic episode is when my major meds are changed, then I usually have a hypomanic state.

I stay depressed 80% of the time. My pdoc does not just throw meds at me, and actually there are a few people on here that have good pdocs like that. My pdoc actually works with herbals/nutritional methods, spiritual healing, Holistic medical approaches, mindfulness meditation, yoga, accupuncture and massage depending on patient preference. Have you thought of changing pdocs. It sounds like yours doesn't listen to you and what you want. Do you have a therapist or go to regular "talk" therapy?

kat

Old 03-16-2009, 05:05 AM   #5
(female)

last flowers HB User

hi kat. my pdoc does throw meds my way. i tell her what i think will help and what i feel good about try, so btw the both of us, i have tried several meds.and am on good ones now that so far work. i had a bit of manic and hypo episodes when younger. mostlydepressed in mid 20's, with some hypo. my pdoc is helpful, just gets mad if i dont come in when i am supposed to. i have started talk therapy again also. is good

last flowers

Old 03-16-2009, 06:12 AM   #6
(female)

orion2 HB User
So confused

I was diagnosed bipolar 15 years ago. I experience paranoia and jealousy, I am fine then it comes in like waves. I try to suppress it but it can come out sideways by crying and feeling neglected, and scared not angry. I felt this way last a week ago and my boyfriend reacted by leaving me, kicking me out of house. He then took to his bed in a major depression talking suicide which he says I cause. It happens every couple months. He broke up with me yesterday saying I make him sad but most of the time he says I make him happier then he has ever been. Last month it was talk of marriage and he is so loving then wham he gets depressed and angry and leaves me. He says it is my fault. I can't tell if I react to him pulling back and changing or if he reacts to me getting sad about it. Are we both bipolar?

Closed Thread