It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2009, 10:16 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

light the world HB User
What Happens without sleep

I've been unable to sleep for 3 whole days now. Tonight will be my fourth day if this continues. I just don't feel tired and I get many racing thoughts. I've read the other thread that I made that talks about meds that are helpful to try to get some sleep but I don't see my psychiatrist for another 5 days. What could happen to me if I am not able to get even an hour of sleep each night which I haven't even been able to get that for the next five days?

Meds: Clonazepam 4mg, Seroquel 200mg

Old 03-15-2009, 10:21 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User
Re: What Happens without sleep

Under,

First of all, I would not wait 5 days I would call your pdoc in the morning and let him know what's going on and try to get an earlier appt.

BP'ers going without sleep can cycle into manicness or hypomanic states easily or get into serious depression. You've already been without sleep for a long time, so you don't need to go without any longer. Are you taking any sleep meds? If so are they just not working? Can you take a higher PRN dose?

Yeah I would definitely call the pdoc before this turns into something that will be harder to get under control.

good luck

kat

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2009, 10:31 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

light the world HB User

I've already tried to contact my psychiatrist twice now and have gotten no response. I agree that this needs to be dealt with immediatly. I have been on 600mg of seroquel but even that won't put me to sleep and its the immediate release version and not the XR version. My psychiatrist won't allow me to go beyond that dosage. I'm also on 4mg of Ativan that I take at night as well and that doesn't even put me to sleep as well. And again I'm not aloud to exceed that dosage as well. I just don't know what to do now.

I've read up on ativan and seroquel and it really amazes me that I'm actually not even able to get a bit of sleep being on such high dosages.

If anyone has any tips on trying to get rid of racing thoughts or trying to fall asleep it would be greatly aprreciated.

Old 03-15-2009, 10:34 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

I'm not shocked that you can't go up, you're already past the FDA allowed dose of Seroquel by quite a bit, and the Ativan is a pretty strong benzo and addictive as well.

Maybe if you call him tomorrow on a work day he'll call you back, that's the main thing I can think of.

Old 03-15-2009, 10:37 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

light the world HB User

Isn't the maximum dosage for seroquel 800 mg. Thats what I thought. Man you make quick replys, nice.

Old 03-15-2009, 10:57 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

You can do 800 for severe mania, but it's not very often reccomended, the usual therapeutic dose id 400 - 600mg.

And the reason I reply quick is because I don't normally fall asleep until between 4:00 - 5:00 in the morning. I average 2.5 - 3 hours sleep a night.

Old 03-15-2009, 10:59 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

light the world HB User

Your lucky thats more sleep then what I get lol.

Old 03-15-2009, 11:01 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

You can call it lucky, you've been doing this for 5 days, I've been doing it for over a month.

Old 03-15-2009, 11:02 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

light the world HB User

Yah I guess your right, are you on any sleeping pills or something to help you sleep?

Old 03-16-2009, 12:06 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Yep I take 300mg of Trazadone, but I don't react well to sleeping pills, it takes a bulldozer to knock me out.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:37 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

light the world HB User

Does trazadone have a more powerful sedation than seroquel?
Anyways what would happen if I had gone without sleep for like 7or8 days straight?

Last edited by light the world; 03-16-2009 at 12:48 AM.

Old 03-16-2009, 05:20 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

In my experience Seroquel will put Trazadone under the table, but I was on a pretty high dose of Seroquel. Trazadone doesn't do much for me in the sleep dept.

Ummm that many days without sleep, I guess it depends whether you're Manic or depressed. If your manic and you go that long without sleep, I can't imagine how much worse you'd get...that would be a "Dreams" questions. If your Depressed and you go that long, well I know when I go for that long, the world just becomes unbearable and there's really only one way I can find to make it better. You really should try to get ahold of your pdoc again and let him know what's going on, there's no way you should be going this long without sleep it can become very dangerous.

kat

Old 03-16-2009, 06:45 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

light the world HB User

I met with a nurse who I meet once a week who specializes in mental disorders and meds but is not allowed to prescribe them out to me. She said that I was in a mixed state. I'm depressed at night but I'm also manic because I'm able to stay up for the amount of time that its been. So far I have been getting more anxious at night, more racing thoughts have been happenening, memories from the past have come back that I don't want to remember. They used to be vague but some how they have become clearer now. And I just seem to be restless and irritable. I also have been having these really bad headaches as well. I was able though to get an earlier appointment with the pdoc. as well, thank god. So on Wendnesday I'll be able to see the pdoc. I can't wait. Hopefully he'll prescribe something to help me sleep and something that will help with my racing thoughts. Although its been like what 6 or 7 days now without sleep I just don't know whether I can hold out till Wednesday. Do you have any suggestions that might make it possible to get maybe even a few hours of sleep. Any suggestions at all please feel free to say them.

Old 03-16-2009, 07:40 PM   #14
Inactive
(female)

With you dx and what your going through, mixed state and all it's really not safe for anyone on here to tell you to take any meds that your pdoc hasn't rx'd. If your that bad and don't think you'll make it 2 more days, have you considered going to the ER? That might be your best bet... Or even calling your pdocs emergency number and telling him you can't wait 2 more days, surely he has some emergency time slot during the day??

kat

Old 03-16-2009, 08:30 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

light the world HB User

Your right Kat if I find that I end up getting to depressed or suicidal I'll go to the ER. Should of thought of that earlier. Thanks for telling me that. I'll keep on updating about what happens on this thread. Oh yah and by the way I wasn'y asking for advice on what meds to take. Your obviously right that nobody on the forum should give such advice to me like that. I was just saying that if there was any other like naturaal way that might help someone get to sleep if they could give me some tips it would be appreciated.

Last edited by light the world; 03-16-2009 at 08:33 PM.

Closed Thread