It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2009, 11:56 AM   #1
(female)

texastoast HB User
Please think about Abilify!!! Not in a good way

Hey, for everyone who doesn't know me, I did just start posting here yesterday. But I wanted you alll to know that I saw my pdoc today, and in TEN DAYS since I'd last seen her, I gained TEN POUNDS on Abillify. My doseage was up to 10 mg over the last week. Actually, she was not even nice about it -- just said she'd take me off it. Well of course, lady -- I am already 60 lbs overweight. Did you think an extra 10 fricking pounds in ten days wouldn't matter??????? Then I asked her if it could be water weight (please, tell me yes, anything!) and she just dourly said "I don't know." "I dont' know when it will come off." I have never gained ten pounds in ten days even when I was pregnant!!!!!

She tells me she does see this with Abilify. Don't believe the tv commercials with happy, thin, smiley people. They should make them smiley and happy, but about 300 lbs in the commercials, cuz that's sure what I would have been in a few months had I stayed on it. I am now off to take a few water retention pills, and go on the treadmill for about 4 hours. See ya'll later.

Beware Abilify. All I'm sayin'.

Old 03-16-2009, 01:16 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

typeing HB User
Re: Please think about Abilify!!! Not in a good way

EEEEEEW, thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2009, 04:47 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

I'm not saying your wrong so ppllleeasssee don't think that, I've been on Abilify for 4 weeks and haven't gained a pound. Are you on anything else that might be causing it or mixing with the abilify to cause it?

kat

Old 03-18-2009, 03:53 PM   #4
(female)

texastoast HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlin09 View Post
I'm not saying your wrong so ppllleeasssee don't think that, I've been on Abilify for 4 weeks and haven't gained a pound. Are you on anything else that might be causing it or mixing with the abilify to cause it?

kat
Oh no, I wouldn't take it that way, here of all places I know we'll be kind to each other. Actually, the pdoc also uppted my lamictil from 100 to 300 mg per day and I started on klonapin at the same time. Just typing that, I'm starting to realize that my pdoc (actually the PA since the doctor is so hard to say) really doesn't know what she's doing, does she? Even if I didn't have a weight problem, changing/adding three things at once?

And to prove she herself learned she didn't know what she was doing, when she saw the 10 lbs/in 10 days gain on her own office scale, she shut down the Abilify completely along with dropping the lamictil. And I myself just took myself off the klonapin cuz it zombifies me.

Old 03-18-2009, 10:40 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

TXToast,

She dropped the lamictal dose with no tritrate down and the same with the Abilify? Can you say malpractice?? I would definitely demand to see the pdoc and let him know what's going on with this PA, cuz she definitely doesn't sound like she knows what she's doing. I don't think I'd take anymore med changes from her.

kat

Old 03-18-2009, 11:57 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User

Welcome to the world of psych meds where weight gain is commonplace.

I gained 30 pounds on Depakote in 2 years, but ended up losing it all after several depressive episodes last year. I went from weighing 127 up to 157 and back down to 127. From there, I lost more weight (due to rapid cycling since I don't eat when I'm manic or depressed) and dropped down to my current weight of 114.

The PA should *never* recommend stopping ANY med cold turkey. What is she thinking???

Geez. This doctor sounds as bad as the first pdoc I saw after being IP in 2006 who told me I could stop taking meds even though she knew I was bipolar.
Prozac 40mg
Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Last edited by dreams in neon; 03-19-2009 at 12:00 AM.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:15 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

irishwriter HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastoast View Post
Hey, for everyone who doesn't know me, I did just start posting here yesterday. But I wanted you alll to know that I saw my pdoc today, and in TEN DAYS since I'd last seen her, I gained TEN POUNDS on Abillify. My doseage was up to 10 mg over the last week. Actually, she was not even nice about it -- just said she'd take me off it. Well of course, lady -- I am already 60 lbs overweight. Did you think an extra 10 fricking pounds in ten days wouldn't matter??????? Then I asked her if it could be water weight (please, tell me yes, anything!) and she just dourly said "I don't know." "I dont' know when it will come off." I have never gained ten pounds in ten days even when I was pregnant!!!!!

She tells me she does see this with Abilify. Don't believe the tv commercials with happy, thin, smiley people. They should make them smiley and happy, but about 300 lbs in the commercials, cuz that's sure what I would have been in a few months had I stayed on it. I am now off to take a few water retention pills, and go on the treadmill for about 4 hours. See ya'll later.

Beware Abilify. All I'm sayin'.
hi again texas,

have reduced my abilify myself because of major munchies! pdoc away so out of contact. hope he doesn't have a fit!!! have gone from 25 to 15 over last few days. also gives me major heartburn so have to take huge tabs for that every time i eat! not a good drug. as if i wasn't bad enough. he's also talking about epilim which i see in research causes rapid weight gain. no way.

Old 03-19-2009, 06:08 AM   #8
(female)

clairemiddo HB User

I was on abilify for about 6 months i gained a stone and half and my head shaked alot. Me thinks it doesnt agree with all people.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:17 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Geez guys y'all are killing me, sometimes I'll actually worry myself into gaining weight on one of these stupid drugs, if everybody else is having that problem, then I'll start worrying I will and that makees me eat and then I gain weight....not because of the med, but the worrying...Completely psychosomatic!!!! So far I've not gained any on the Abilify, I've actually lost 5lbs in the last month and I'm going to try and not worry the crap out of myself. Once again it's really wierd how these drugs do this to some and not others. Seroquel was my bad one, it helped with the BP, and my weight stayed stable for the fisrt 6 months I was on it, and then boom in a month and a half I went from 140 to 156, I don't know if it just finally attacke my metabolism, or if it didn't like one of the other 5 psych meds I was on or what, but it was awful.

kat

Old 03-20-2009, 01:02 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

irishwriter HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastoast View Post
Oh no, I wouldn't take it that way, here of all places I know we'll be kind to each other. Actually, the pdoc also uppted my lamictil from 100 to 300 mg per day and I started on klonapin at the same time. Just typing that, I'm starting to realize that my pdoc (actually the PA since the doctor is so hard to say) really doesn't know what she's doing, does she? Even if I didn't have a weight problem, changing/adding three things at once?

And to prove she herself learned she didn't know what she was doing, when she saw the 10 lbs/in 10 days gain on her own office scale, she shut down the Abilify completely along with dropping the lamictil. And I myself just took myself off the klonapin cuz it zombifies me.
texas,

btw. abilify also seems to be causing major twitches particularly my face.

i have reduced i t again today to 10mg taking none in morning so i'll see how it goes.

Old 03-27-2009, 09:33 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Llama HB User

I am on abilify and have been in the past too and I have never gained any weight from it. I am on 30 mg now.

Old 03-28-2009, 12:44 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

irishwriter HB User
Thumbs up Re: Please think about Abilify!!! Not in a good way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama View Post
I am on abilify and have been in the past too and I have never gained any weight from it. I am on 30 mg now.
glad to hear it works for someone! i'm only off it about seven days and have already gone down a few pounds!

Old 03-28-2009, 02:24 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Llama HB User

Glad to hear that some of the weight is coming off for you! That's awesome! It shows that the med really is what did it.

Old 03-28-2009, 02:35 PM   #14
Inactive
(female)

Llama,

I've also been on in for about 6 or 7 months now and haven't gained a pound..on another note I started back on Remeron Tuesday and have gained 2lbs., so probably won't be on that for much longer, I won't do the weight gain thing...and it's not doing what it's supposed to do anyway.

kat

Old 03-28-2009, 03:01 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Llama HB User

I understand. I don't do the weight gain thing either. It's hard enough for me now because I've put on 10lbs because of being hospitalized for so long. All that inactivity isn't good for a person!!!!

Closed Thread