It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2009, 06:55 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

light the world HB User
Is there any help for the weekends?

Just wondering but if you run into a problem and you can't your doctor over the weekend is there any other services or help that you can contact? Obviously if your in a crisis situation you would just go to the hospital but if it wasn't a crisis situation what could you do?

Meds: Clonazepam 4mg, Seroquel 200mg

Old 03-16-2009, 08:04 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User
Re: Is there any help for the weekends?

Are you sure that your doc doesn't have an emergency number? most do, have you checked with him/her? Perhaps you could call his/her office and leave a message they may check them on the weekends. My pdoc and tdoc always make sure I have their home and cell numbers and they check their office messages every Sunday morning. You might want to double check and make sure that they don't have some kind of emergency system.

Other than that going to the ER would be the only thing I could think of...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2009, 08:38 PM   #3
(female)

texastoast HB User

Almost every large city has some kind of "crisis" mental health line, I believe -- these are not docs, of course, but are trained. They are trained to handle referrals, screen out actual life-threatening emergencies (which have to go to the ER), and then just basically "hand-hold" for the person until they are able to get ahold of their actual doc.

I do think, though, that any p-doc that takes off for a weekend without any backup is doing the wrong thing by their patients. JMO of course. I've had some bad docs in my day, but none that ever left without any backup over a weekend or vacation.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:35 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User

I agree with Kat. If you're in an emergency situation and can't reach your pdoc, I would suggest going to the ER.

Usually every mental health clinic has an on-call pdoc on staff. If you see a tdoc, the same thing is true.

My pdoc's office has an on-call pdoc although when I have an emergency, I only talk to my pdoc. This was after the on-call pdoc suggested that I stop taking my anti-depressant because she thought it was causing me to be manic. My pdoc disagreed and told me never to stop my anti-depressant since it could cause my depression to become worse.

My tdoc happens to be the on-call tdoc at my clinic. Two weeks ago I called him around 12:30am because I was suicidal and rapid cycling badly. He promptly returned my call and explained that it wasn't unusual for him to receive calls that late at night.

If you're ever concerned about bothering your pdoc or tdoc, don't. After all, it's their job.
Prozac 40mg
Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Old 03-17-2009, 09:55 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

I think I've figured out why you think your doc may not have an emergency number and I just assume they all do. My docs are both in private practice, so they of course make sure their patients have their home and cell numbers. I guess if you go to a Mental Health group practice then just like any group med ofc, when you call you may not get your doc, but like Dreams said, their should still be someone on call.

Sorry I didn't get this point earlier.

kat

Old 03-17-2009, 11:16 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

When I was looking for a new pdoc in December, my GP recommended a mental health group clinic and I couldn't get ahold of anyone -- not even to schedule an initial appointment with a pdoc. The phone kept ringing off the hook. If I were you under, I'd strongly recommend finding a private practice pdoc or one who works in a hospital.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 03-17-2009 at 11:17 AM.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:46 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

light the world HB User

I wish I could find a pdoc that you have just reccommended but I'm dedicated to this program that has a nurse that I meet once a week and a psychiatrist that I unfortunatly can only meet on a wednesday about once a month. Unless there is a real emergency or an unstability with the meds that would be the only time where I could meet him every week but thats rare. Actually I just found out about this number that you can call a special number any time of the day 24/7 if your in a sort of crisis situation or you just need some assistance, that is apart of the program that I'm in. So all in all this program I kind of have to be in anyways for school. Its not something I can just quit. And it would be rude of me to take on another psychiatrist anyways.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:50 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

under,

If you're unhappy with any medical treatment you're receiving, it's not rude at all to change doctors. If that were the case, I should have spared my old pdoc's feelings and stuck with him even though he didn't do anything to help stabilize my rapid cycling. I'm sorry, but I refuse to do that especially when my old pdoc isn't the one who is suffering. When it comes to my medical treatment, I really don't care how a doctor feels about me no longer seeing them. After all, they're paid to work for me -- not the other way around.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 03-17-2009 at 09:52 PM.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:54 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

It's typical of pdocs to see patients once a month. Some people even see their pdocs every 3 months if they are doing well on their meds. I see my pdoc every 2 weeks or sooner if questions/problems arise.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 03-17-2009 at 09:54 PM.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:05 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

light the world HB User

By the way tonight when I do start to rapid cycle which has been happening every night for the past 2 weeks. Do you have any ways of dealing with it?

Old 03-17-2009, 10:08 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

*sigh* I'm a total train wreck I usually have to see my pdoc 1 a week but was really good last week so I got a 2 weeker! Yippee!

And I agree with Dreams, if you don't like your pdoc cuz theyre not doing theyre job you can leave them and don't have to have any guilty feelings about it.

kat

Old 03-17-2009, 10:24 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by under View Post
By the way tonight when I do start to rapid cycle which has been happening every night for the past 2 weeks. Do you have
any ways of dealing with it?
How often do you cycle? Do you cycle only at night or during the day as well?

I cycle hourly and sometimes every minute. My pdoc prescribed Clonazepam to help control my rapid cycling and so far, it's working pretty well.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 03-17-2009, 10:25 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlin09 View Post
*sigh* I'm a total train wreck I usually have to see my pdoc 1 a week but was really good last week so I got a 2 weeker! Yippee!

And I agree with Dreams, if you don't like your pdoc cuz theyre not doing theyre job you can leave them and don't have to have any guilty feelings about it.

kat
Kat,

Don't get down on yourself because you need to see your pdoc every week. There's nothing wrong with that. If there is, then there's something wrong with me for seeing mine every 2 weeks.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 03-17-2009, 10:38 PM   #14
(male)

bfbipolar HB User

That might be a good thing cause then you can build a better relationship with the pdoc so that you dont have a doc like my gf's who doesnt listen at all and that just goes with what ever you tell them to do. My gf was just percribed a medicine that has a serious reaction with one of her other meds. Her sister was on it so her mom thought it would be cool to put her on it. So luckly she read the label and it said that there was a bad reaction to it and so she was off of the other and now she is on the other. I hope that you feel better and just remember you can build a relationship with them so that you can get better medicine.

Old 03-18-2009, 06:00 AM   #15
Inactive
(female)

Dreams,

Thanks friend, sometimes it's difficult not to feel like a....failure for lack of a better word, you know most people are only have to see there pdoc 1 a month for med mgmt....the closest I've gotten is 2.5 a month, and then seeing the tdoc 1 - 2 a week....I guess I just hoped a year and a half into it this time I'd be doing better, and then you add in the SH and how severe it's become, oh well....I'll consider this my little pitty party and get on with it.

k

Closed Thread