It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2009, 11:26 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User
Misconceptions about BP

Hi everyone,

I'm watching a movie right now and one of the characters said, "Don't go bipolar on me." At first the comment struck me as funny, but the more I thought about it, the more it bothered me. Why does bipolar get such a bad rap? Have you found any examples of how BP is portrayed in the media? Have they been good or bad?
Prozac 40mg
Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2009, 11:42 PM   #2
(female)

caitlin122 HB User
Re: Misconceptions about BP

Dreams,
I can't think of any specifically, but I know I have. Mental illnessin general gets a bad rap. It gets me upset too, because it comes down to people being uneducated. Mental illness is just like any other medical illness. It all comes down to chemical imbalances. Ours just happen to be in the brain which in turn effects our behviors. Mental illness has such a stigma attached to it that needs to be destroyed. Bipolar is the same as diabetes. Not in the symptoms and the treatments, but in the way it effects the body. It's a chemical imbalance, which we can't help, just like diabetics. It's very frustrating.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2009, 12:14 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

caitlin,

I couldn't agree with you more. I've been in the mental health system for the past 18 years and it's amazing what kind of negative attitudes I've encountered.

To my surprise, even people who should know better carry these negative attitudes.

I had an ER doctor who was extremely nice.
However, after he asked me why I was taking Depakote and I told him bipolar, he suddenly became very quiet.

I also had 2 people on a message board for the deaf and hard of hearing accuse me of "playing the sick role" and blaming all of my problems on everything and everyone. I found that ironic given how they're both deaf and oftentimes complain about people who hear not understanding deaf culture. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 03-17-2009 at 12:16 AM.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:14 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

light the world HB User

I don't know about bipolar specifically but I do know that most serious disorders aren't really well educated to the public so they think that you are"dangerous" to be around. I only say the word dangerous because when the pdoc said I had psychosis my teachers had to know and they have not trewated me well ever since. And I always get the feeling that the students in my class know about it to because they always try6 to stay away from and back off. Every time I sit near a student they always lean there chair away from mine. I just hope that I don't get labelled with bipolar, schizoaffective or schizophrenia in the near future because people just aren't educated in this stuff. Whenever I meet someone I don't want them to think that I'm not safe to be around. So yah I would definitly say that there are some major misconceptions in the public about certain disorders including bipolar.

Meds: Clonazepam 4mg, Seroquel 200mg

Old 03-17-2009, 12:19 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

under,

I'm sorry your classmates treat you that way and there's absolutely no excuse for it.

Have you thought about making a brief 5 minute presentation to your class at the beginning of every semester about how your psychosis affects you? This is what I do for my blindness and deafness. I've found that students learn alot from the experience and no longer fear me because of things they don't know.

As for myself, I've been hearing voices since 1991. I don't tell many people about it or my bipolar, but the few I have told didn't understand and thought I was "crazy." When people respond in that manner, it's no wonder I don't tell anyone.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 03-17-2009 at 12:25 AM.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:25 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

light the world HB User

Man that sucks 1991 you've had this for a long time. Gees I was born in 1991. I hope that you improve in the near future.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:27 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks, under. I'm actually doing much better now than I was back then. At the time, I wasn't put on an anitpsychotic like I should have been. I was taking Lithium and Prozac, but neither of them helped my depression or voices. I was also put on a high dose of Risperdal for the past 2 years, but still heard voices 24/7 at a moderate level. I'm now taking Geodon and only hear voices whenever I'm manic or depressed. Needless to say, it's a welcome change.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 03-17-2009 at 12:30 AM.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:46 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

light the world HB User

Your lucky you've found an antipsychotic that has worked for you. I've been on Seroquel which I've just stopped taking because it was causing severe akathesia and wasn't working anyways. I've also been on Zyprexa and risperadone. None have worked. Last time I saw my pdoc I did talk to him about the Geoden and he said that he would only give it to me if I was psychotic when I was manic which I'm not. There is also abilify which I haven't been on but I know nothing about that one. I wonder do you know anything about the typical older antipsychotics. Like the first generation ones. I know I was put on stelazine but had to come off because of severe muscle stiffness. I remember I couldn't close my jaw at all so they had to do something about it. Forget what med they gave exactly but oh well. I'm just wondering why psychiatrists don't often prescribe the older antipsychotics. The newer ones jusat cause weight gain which I hate.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:53 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

One major reason why pdocs don't prescribe first generation (or typical) antipsychotics is because they tend to have more side effects. Atypical antipsychotics also address symptoms faster than typical antipsychotics do.

Did your pdoc give you a reason why he wouldn't put you on Geodon unless you had a manic/psychotic episode?

FYI, Geodon is designed to treat schizophrenia as well as bipolar mania.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 03-17-2009 at 12:56 AM.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:59 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

light the world HB User

Unfortunatly thats all the pdoc said to me. I could ask my nurse who I meet once a week. Actually I'll just e-mail her right now although obviously I won't get a response for another 12-16 hours. Its 3am in the morning here.

Old 03-17-2009, 01:03 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

I'd be curious to know what your nurse says. Your pdoc could have a very good reason for not giving it to you although I can't think of what that might be.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 03-17-2009, 01:04 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

light the world HB User

I'll tell you tomorrow if my nurse replys back to me.

Old 03-17-2009, 01:06 AM   #13
(male)

bfbipolar HB User

Man i have a serious problem with anyone that talks bad about any kind of illness, mental or physical cause people can develop it and then were would they be. I've had an encounter with some punks about it and my gf is bipolar and so they think its fine to just talk a little bit of trash but that isnt somthing that i will ever stand for and so yea, i just hate how the media portrays illnesses. its funny how things can come back and bite some of these people so that them or thier family is affected by what illness they bag on. But I wish that people were more informed on things like mental illnesses cause people with any kinda illness are just regular people and in my gf's case and i'm sure a ton of people here, you are stonger then anyone i have ever met. (i've met arnold schwarzeneggerand yes you are stonger then him too) The thing that i've seen my gf get through makes me so proud and her and i are only 20, the people that post here on this forum are the people that more people should be like and more people should be informed about so that they can see what i have seen.

Old 03-17-2009, 01:08 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

under,

I just did an Interner search and learned that Geodon is sometimes prescribed for depression. You may also want to ask your nurse and pdoc about that.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 03-17-2009, 01:12 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

bfbipolar,

First of all, let me say that I think it takes a very special person to love someone with mental illness. Kudos to you!

I couldn't agree more with your post. What I find ironic is how people's attitudes tend to change the minute they know someone with mental illness or are diagnosed with one themselves.

I guess it proves the fact that you can't understand what someone else has been through unless you've walked a mile in their shoes.

Having said that, it still would be nice if people could educate themselves a little especially since we now live in a day and age where all kinds of information is available at our fingertips.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 03-17-2009 at 01:13 AM.

Closed Thread