It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2009, 07:20 PM   #1
(female)

caitlin122 HB User
Unhappy Layed Off

So I've just been layed off from my job, while on medical leave of abscence! Is that even legal? Let someone go while their away due to medical reasons? I'm so...I don't even know what I am. If I didn't have enough to worry about, now I've lost my job, and with that my health insurance. I was just starting on my meds again and seeing my docs again. How am I supposed to do that with no insurance??? How will I support myself and my daughter? My family is telling me not to worry, but how can I not? I just needed to vent...thanks

Old 03-18-2009, 09:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User
Re: Layed Off

Hi -

No, it is not legal to let someone go (or not to hire them) because of mental of physical disability. It is distinctly against the ADA.

I would seek out the advice of a lawyer, contact your legislator about the ADA.

Can you get unemployment? Of course you're worried about providing for yourself and little one. And did your employer give you any reason for the layoff?
I will ask the leader of my DBSA group if she has any advice. She is pretty well schooled in these matters.

I hope you have enough to sustain you for a little while, and that perhaps family and friends can help you out.

Will get back to you,

Seaturtle

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2009, 09:30 PM   #3
(female)

caitlin122 HB User

Thank you so much seaturtle. I was told I am being let go because he doesn't have enough money to pay me, business is bad. Yet he just hired a new assistant last week, and interviewed another girl for a front office spot, which was my position. I will be getting a pink slip from him tomorrow, so I should start getting my unemployment checks fairly quickly...hopefully. Thank you so much for all the advice and info.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:55 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Caitlin,

I know it doesn't help but I know what you're going through, I got sacked 4 weeks ago and am going through the same thing. can you Cobra your insurance that is what I had to do, so I wouldn't lose my coverage. I would definitely apply for unemployement asap and get that ball rolling. In this economy I'm not sure your going to have much luck fighting a layoff due to economic reasons, it doesn't matter that you were currently on unpaid med leave. At most they would be made to keep you on until you came back to work and then they'd just lay you off then. If he was laying you off because of medical reasons that would be a whole different story, but he knows how to work the system it seems. The other thing to do is to go to your social services web site for your county and figure out what benefits you can apply for , food stamps, child assistance, medicaid, section 8 benefits, mental health benefits...theres a lot of different things.

Good luck with all this....

kat

Old 03-18-2009, 09:59 PM   #5
(female)

caitlin122 HB User

Thank you so much Kat for all of this info. It helps a lot. I will try those things. My medical benefits are what I'm worried about most. I'll try those suggestions. Yea...the bast**d knows how to work the system alright.

Old 03-18-2009, 10:33 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Caitlin,

I'm not sure what kind of work you do, but another thing I did was sign on with several Temp Agencies, I figured temp jobs are better than no jobs. Signing up for as many as you can in your area is a good bet.

kat

Closed Thread