It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2009, 07:53 AM   #1
(female)

cattownfl HB User
Wwyd??????

Ok..I was fine felt great yesterday. I am on my 12th day of the Lactimal, thats all i am taking besides, .5 Avitan for anxiety. Now today another story i am having a rather large amount of anxiety, I do not have any Avitan on me, I left it home, and my BF has my car so i am stuck at work till at least afternoon. I am trying to ignore the anxiety but its not going away? Why is this haoppening? Why am I fine one day then the next im a mess? Is this what Bi-polar is all about? If so it SUCKS.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:36 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User
Re: Wwyd??????

Unfortunately, mood swings are common when it comes to bipolar. Bipolar meds do not eliminate symptoms. Instead, they reduce their severity.

I'm a rapid cycler which means that my moods change every hour and sometimes every minute. It really tests my patience sometimes. One minute I feel extremely happy, the next minute I'm angry or depressed.

Could you relax by listening to some music on your computer over the Internet? I know that helps relax me when I'm feeling anxious.

You may also want to keep some spare Ativan in your purse when you travel so that it's always available when you need it. This is what I do with the Clonazepam that I take to help control my rapid cycling.

I know it's easier said than done, but try to hang in there. Take things one hour at a time and if you can't do that, one minute at a time.
Prozac 40mg
Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Last edited by dreams in neon; 03-19-2009 at 08:37 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2009, 09:27 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

cattownfl,

There is a good chance that this could be the Lamictal. In the beginning Activation stages of Lamicatal, meaning the first month or so, agitation, anxiety, and anger are not unusual. This is just the med working it's way into your system to get things "realigned". This is pretty normal with Lamictal, and the best thing to do is make sure you have your ativan filled until you get through this activation period especially if you have additional anxiety and hang in there and ride out the storm. It shouldn't last very long, but it you give up now, the last 27 days have been for nothing. Every med takes a while to get used to, these are pretty serious drugs and when your changing and adjusting brain chemistry unfortunately theres a period of adjustment that we have to deal with, as if the BP wasn't enough to deal with.

Hope your day gets better.

kat

Old 03-19-2009, 10:25 AM   #4
(female)

cattownfl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlin09 View Post
cattownfl,

There is a good chance that this could be the Lamictal. In the beginning Activation stages of Lamicatal, meaning the first month or so, agitation, anxiety, and anger are not unusual. This is just the med working it's way into your system to get things "realigned". This is pretty normal with Lamictal, and the best thing to do is make sure you have your ativan filled until you get through this activation period especially if you have additional anxiety and hang in there and ride out the storm. It shouldn't last very long, but it you give up now, the last 27 days have been for nothing. Every med takes a while to get used to, these are pretty serious drugs and when your changing and adjusting brain chemistry unfortunately theres a period of adjustment that we have to deal with, as if the BP wasn't enough to deal with.

Hope your day gets better.

kat
Thanks but I am only takig the Lactimal for 12 days? Im still on the 25mg starter pack? Is it normal that my Pdoc does not want me on anything else besides the lactimal and avitan? I was thinking maybe takig lexapro as well, or do they normally give you that after the mood stabilzer has been in your system a while?

Old 03-19-2009, 10:26 AM   #5
(female)

cattownfl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams in neon View Post
Unfortunately, mood swings are common when it comes to bipolar. Bipolar meds do not eliminate symptoms. Instead, they reduce their severity.

I'm a rapid cycler which means that my moods change every hour and sometimes every minute. It really tests my patience sometimes. One minute I feel extremely happy, the next minute I'm angry or depressed.

Could you relax by listening to some music on your computer over the Internet? I know that helps relax me when I'm feeling anxious.

You may also want to keep some spare Ativan in your purse when you travel so that it's always available when you need it. This is what I do with the Clonazepam that I take to help control my rapid cycling.

I know it's easier said than done, but try to hang in there. Take things one hour at a time and if you can't do that, one minute at a time.
Rapid Cycler...my lord I might be that also. I was just diagnosed in Jan so I am not sure what type of Bi-polar I am my pdoc said she thinks I am BP II

Old 03-19-2009, 10:45 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

You're in the activation phase of the Lamictal it can last from the beginning to a month or so. It's perfectly normal to start one med at a time, actually preferred that way you know what's working and what's not. depending on your symptoms, your pdoc may add another med, and he may not, it depends on how well the Lamictal works.

kat

Old 03-19-2009, 11:09 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cattownfl View Post
Rapid Cycler...my lord I might be that also. I was just diagnosed in Jan so I am not sure what type of Bi-polar I am my pdoc said she thinks I am BP II
Do your moods change every few days, every hour or every minute? If so, that means you're a rapid cycler.

There are 3 kinds of rapid cycling:

Rapid cycling: 4 or more manic or depressive episodes during a 12 month period.

Ultra rapid cycling: When a person's mood changes every several days.

Ultradian/ultra-ultra rapid cycling: Where a person's mood changes several times/day, hourly or minute by minute.

From what I've read, rapid cycling is more common in those who have BPII.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 03-19-2009 at 11:11 AM.

Old 03-19-2009, 01:16 PM   #8
(female)

kathryn00 HB User

if you find that your main problem tends to be anxiety, it might not be a bad idea to add lexapro, or celexa which is what lexapro is based on. they have a generic drug for celexa and might be a good idea if you want to save money. supposedly it works the same. and if you have depression then you will kill 2 birds with one stone.

i take the generic and it is so much nicer preventing the anxiety than trying to stop it when it starts. no starting for me.

i guess just see what happens with the lamictal. give it a good try because it does work and you probably do need a mood stabilizer anyways.

it takes time, be patient.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:20 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Cattown,

I'll be blunt if you're newly dx'd and you're just starting on meds, why would you want to rush to add another med before you even know if the first one is working? If you read around these boards you'll find tons of posts from people who don't know which med is working or not working because they're on so many. Or the combo's of meds have made the side effects so bad that they have to change meds all the time or start from the beginning. Be smart and safe and let your pdoc get you used to one med at a time and don't be in a rush to make the list grow so fast.

I myself am on 5 different psych meds, it's not much fun, the side effects suck, and trying to keep them all straight and figure out which one is helping what, not to mention paying for them is a pain. Psych meds are not cheap even with insurance, my five run $509.00 a month with insurance, without they're $2010.00 a month.

Just something for you to think about.

kat

Old 03-19-2009, 03:52 PM   #10
(female)

cattownfl HB User

Quote:
You're in the activation phase of the Lamictal it can last from the beginning to a month or so. It's perfectly normal to start one med at a time, actually preferred that way you know what's working and what's not. depending on your symptoms, your pdoc may add another med, and he may not, it depends on how well the Lamictal works.

kat
Oh ok see...Im new to this. It has not been easy at all. I dont feel like myself at all I kinda feel numb now. Although, I got a little emotional right before my period.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:55 PM   #11
(female)

cattownfl HB User

Quote:
Cattown,

I'll be blunt if you're newly dx'd and you're just starting on meds, why would you want to rush to add another med before you even know if the first one is working? If you read around these boards you'll find tons of posts from people who don't know which med is working or not working because they're on so many. Or the combo's of meds have made the side effects so bad that they have to change meds all the time or start from the beginning. Be smart and safe and let your pdoc get you used to one med at a time and don't be in a rush to make the list grow so fast.

I myself am on 5 different psych meds, it's not much fun, the side effects suck, and trying to keep them all straight and figure out which one is helping what, not to mention paying for them is a pain. Psych meds are not cheap even with insurance, my five run $509.00 a month with insurance, without they're $2010.00 a month.

Just something for you to think about.

kat
Wow thanks for that info. I have really good insurance, I paid nothng for my lactimal, and I think like 4 bucks for the avitan..but I see your point, you een helpful.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:58 PM   #12
(female)

cattownfl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams in neon View Post
Do your moods change every few days, every hour or every minute? If so, that means you're a rapid cycler.

There are 3 kinds of rapid cycling:

Rapid cycling: 4 or more manic or depressive episodes during a 12 month period.

Ultra rapid cycling: When a person's mood changes every several days.

Ultradian/ultra-ultra rapid cycling: Where a person's mood changes several times/day, hourly or minute by minute.

From what I've read, rapid cycling is more common in those who have BPII.
I beilve I migt be a rapid cycler..I am going to need to talk to my pdoc about this. I was just diagnosed in January, so until then I thought I was normal. I mean I knew something was wrong when I was kicking my BF out every month, thats when I went to the pdoc.

Old 03-19-2009, 04:00 PM   #13
(female)

cattownfl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathryn00 View Post
if you find that your main problem tends to be anxiety, it might not be a bad idea to add lexapro, or celexa which is what lexapro is based on. they have a generic drug for celexa and might be a good idea if you want to save money. supposedly it works the same. and if you have depression then you will kill 2 birds with one stone.

i take the generic and it is so much nicer preventing the anxiety than trying to stop it when it starts. no starting for me.

i guess just see what happens with the lamictal. give it a good try because it does work and you probably do need a mood stabilizer anyways.

it takes time, be patient.
Ok, I will cal my pdoc tommrow and ask her about the lexapro I have some here. i started taking but then she took me off when I started the lactimal, cuz I was taking Risperdal and it made me nuts.

Old 03-19-2009, 04:03 PM   #14
(female)

cattownfl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbjoe View Post
Fairly recently diagnosed as well and as most have already said to answer your question in a nutshell yes.

Moods can change every minute, hour, day, etc. I measure mine mostly in days but a trigger can turn panic into rage in a second so it's also important to find out what yours are if you even have any and avoid them.

My strongest symptom is anxiety/panic also which I take Xanax for and call it my don't leave home without it med. I have a bottle in my desk at work or a couple in my pocket whenever I go out even though I try not to use them at all.

In your current situation situation what sometimes works for me is to avoid people, walk around my building, try to curl myself up in a ball (may sound like a weird one but sometimes helps) or call your BF and tell him to get over to your house and get you your meds.

Just hang in there it will pass and you'll get through it.

Best of luck
Oh you know what? That is my trigger PEOPLE..at work mostly, they are so annoying and nosey. I am carrying my Avitan arund with me from now on for sure,Thanks..But sometimes its hard to avoid people at work, i work in a cube not a office so peole come up and chat with me all the time, even though they are unwanted.

Old 03-19-2009, 04:11 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Given the fact that people trigger you, why don't you make it a habit if carrying your Ativan with you at all times? If you're bothered at work, you could take one in the morning and again later in the day if you need to. I take 2 Clonazepam 3x/day for this very reason because I know that when I go out in public, people (especially crowds and loud environmental sounds) will make me manic.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 03-19-2009 at 04:11 PM.

Closed Thread