It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2009, 09:07 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User
What Do You Think?

Hi everyone,

I'm watching cable TV tonight and have noticed several commercials for Cymbalta and Abilify.

What do you think of pharmaceutical commercials? Do you think they should be banned or do you think they have a purpose?

I'm on the fence. I think they can serve a positive role by allowing the general public to be more aware of mental illness and the meds that treat them, but on the other, I worry about self-diagnosis and people being given meds they truly don't need.

How about you?
Prozac 40mg
Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Old 03-19-2009, 09:34 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

light the world HB User
Re: What Do You Think?

I personally think that these commercials don't talk enough about the purpose of the med. It does talk about the possible risks and side effects but it should say something like go to the following websites to learn more about the use and purposes of the meds. I know that it does say something like consult your doctor to see whether this could be right for you though. but when I view those commercials which are rare here for some reason. I sometimes don't even know what the purpose is of the med. Personally I think that the people making these commercials should also discuss about the disorders that people have and why the person may need to take such a med. Its not like meds should be prescribed to people like candy which is what I think of everytime I see one of these commercials.

Meds: Clonazepam 4mg, Seroquel 200mg

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2009, 09:45 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

under,

You've brought up alot of good points.

One commercial I'm thinking of is for Abilify and bipolar. It asks a question along the lines of, "Do you feel irritable or depressed? If so, you could have bipolar disorder." This leaves people with the mistaken impression that bipolar only consists of anger and depression when we know it doesn't.

My sister told me that these commercials show a website address (such as <drugname at domain>), but she said it isn't obvious and people with visual impairments won't be able to see it.

It would be nice if pharmaceutical companies could devote a 15 minute commercial to explain all of the details about a particular mental illness, what a certain med is, what it's used for as well as its' side effects.

Given how much money these drug companies spend on running these commercials, it shouldn't be too hard to create a longer commercial that gives all of the facts instead of a short synopsis.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 03-19-2009 at 09:47 PM.

Old 03-20-2009, 01:04 AM   #4
(female)

krazy2day HB Userkrazy2day HB Userkrazy2day HB Userkrazy2day HB Userkrazy2day HB User

I think they should be banned. How stupid is it to advocate a patients choice or preference for a drug when doctors are 'supposed to be' the prescribing experts. I heard there is caselaw where school officials have been charged with something related to 'practicing medicine without a license' for improperly referring children for things like ADD and ADHD. It had something to do with a teacher saying a child needed meds and the school saying not to send the child back to school until he/she was medicated. Our drug companies s/b held to the same standards. Never should they encourage people in general to ASK for a certain drug. Its just their stupid ploy to sell more drugs with NO REGARD to the lives and health of any one particular.

Because of these stupid commercials I imagine Doctors are having to explain to ppl WHY this drug or that drug isnt right for them, or how their current med is designed to do the exact same thing, and some (probably a lot) simply please the patient and give/change the drug they question (the exact thing our drug companies expect -MORE SALES).

Old 03-20-2009, 01:21 AM   #5
(female)

krazy2day HB Userkrazy2day HB Userkrazy2day HB Userkrazy2day HB Userkrazy2day HB User

I think pharma's should be forced to focus on understanding and identifying disorders (hoping ppl will seek help and increase med sales) instead of suggesting someone ask their dr if particular meds are suited for them. This would seem to serve the same purpose in a BETTER kind of way as ppl might actually learn about the disorders instead of just taking the meds for them. It would also eliminate pharmas from having the right to 'undermind' a physicians (what wouldve been) best choice of treatment anyway.

One commercial in mind.... what does depression look like (SHOWS MOM ON COUCH LOOKING SEMI-NORMAL)... who does depression hurt (EVERYONE, SHOWS THE FAMILY AND MOM LOOKING NOT SO NORMAL). This is one commercial, if I hadnt already been dx, that would have sent me to the Dr to talk about depression.

Hahaaa.. obviously this subject peeves me. Sorry for the dbl post. Its just that I have spine issues that for the longest time I never came right out and asked for pain meds and when I did, I was treated like a freakn addict -because I ASKED. I dont see any difference in the two. Asking for pain meds (for pain) opposed to asking for depression meds (for depression) seems all the same to me.

Old 03-20-2009, 02:46 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

irishwriter HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams in neon View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm watching cable TV tonight and have noticed several commercials for Cymbalta and Abilify.

What do you think of pharmaceutical commercials? Do you think they should be banned or do you think they have a purpose?

I'm on the fence. I think they can serve a positive role by allowing the general public to be more aware of mental illness and the meds that treat them, but on the other, I worry about self-diagnosis and people being given meds they truly don't need.

How about you?
hi dreams,

that is so strange. they are not advertised here at all and i couldn't imagine what purpose it would serve, as you said it would simply lead people to self diagnose and undermine the doc and pdoc. sounds ridiculous.

Old 03-20-2009, 03:27 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishwriter View Post
hi dreams,

that is so strange. they are not advertised here at all and i couldn't imagine what purpose it would serve, as you said it would simply lead people to self diagnose and undermine the doc and pdoc. sounds ridiculous.
I have an online friend who lives in Europe. She said they don't advertise there and mentioned the fact that people in the U.S. tend to rely too much on meds. I don't know if that's true since I haven't read any research regarding that and I obviously don't live in Europe, but it would be interesting to find out just the same.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 03-20-2009 at 03:27 AM.

Old 03-20-2009, 09:01 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User

I would ban them from all media. They flood the magazines, TV. I'm sure they just encourage people, giving them mental illness where there was none before.
Depression and anxiety are just part of being human (except in extremes, like us here). People have gotten used to popping a pill for whatever, and medicating the kids infuriates me. And, yes, those women (and men) sitting staring off into space with sad faces ("Have you had felt like one of the below in the past year?"), what a selling tool.

Big pharma is plain and simple a gold mine. My solution would be something like: Okay, you get a governing agency of some sort (NOT the FDA), to put public service notices on the media, briefly informing the public of MI. Then you go all generic - if not possible, then put a limit of say, $5.00 on all Rxs.

I bet you would see those (educational, helpful-to-the-consumer ads disappear overnight.

Seaturtle

Old 03-20-2009, 09:16 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Seaturtle,

That sounds like an excellent plan to me. I was watching cable again tonight and saw another commercial for Cymbalta. Honestly, these commercials are starting to drive me nuts.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 03-20-2009, 09:19 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

I think they should be banned. It's not like people are chosing which soda to drink. pdocs working colaboratively with their patients is fine, but that means the pdoc's suggesting the med and the patient then having some time to research it and see if it might be something they might want to try. The more I think about it, my Pdoc is very collaborative in his care philosophy and he'll discuss drugs whether he brings them up or I do, but...he has away of "helping" me make the right decisions with making me feel like I'm actually a part of it, when I know that he's actually making the decisions about which meds are the best ones for me, and I trust that he would never just let me take a med, because I wanted too.

It shouldn't be the patient going in and saying, Hey I heard about Cymbalt, or Celexa, or Rozerm on Tv and I want to give that a try....that's just wrong, and in some cases when the pdocs just say okay lets try it, I think it borderlines on malpractice. Then you have the instance where they link Drug A with Disease B, so a person may be on that drug for a totally different reason and they hear a commercial announce that it's for Disease B and freak out thinking that they have that disease too. There's just not much good that come out of these types of drugs being advertised in the media.

I believe if a patient wants to go on the internet and educate themselves about a particular medication then that is their perogative, but mass marketing meds like soda and chips is just ridiculous.

While I'm on my soapbox, we all know how much these meds cost, the amount their spenind in marketing, could cut the cost, another thing that kills me, my mil works at a pscy office, practically everyday they get these big fancy lunches served in by drug companies, and i'm not talking burgers from Arbys, I'm talking catered 4 course meals......all that money could go back into lowering the consumers cost....it just peeves me to no end.

Old 03-20-2009, 09:46 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kat,

My pdoc is the same way. He allows me to be an active participant in my treatment and accepts any suggestions I have for med increases and/or changes.

However, he doesn't make a change simply for the sake of doing it. Yesterday was a prime example. Despite how depressed I felt due to my friend's death, he decided not to increase my meds for fear of it inducing mania. I'm glad he made that choice because it shows that he's taking my stability seriously.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 03-20-2009, 11:32 PM   #12
Inactive
(male)

mtbjoe HB User

Aww Man!! I've just started trying to fit into somewhere and now I'm going to do it again...

Although I have to agree with just about everything said so far I need to play a bit of the devil's advocate.

I actually work for a drug company, they don't make anything for our condition or even close but as others have said it's an extremely competitive market out there (I don't work for sales or R&D either).

Before I go further, unless you have really good insurance and although I'm sure your doc has the best intentions they too are subject to the market. Docs (and hospitals) get reimbursed for different amounts based on what they sell so unless they have definitive proof that a new drug is better than an existing one which is paying twice the commission (or whatever they call it), it's tough for them to just start switching people over.

So please before condemning me I hate these commercials as well and agree with all of you but how are some supposed to know new medications even exist without them unless we have tier 1 insurance with docs who don't benefit either way?

Sorry, I just need to through that out there because from what I've seen it's the sad truth...

Now I fearfully press submit...

Old 03-21-2009, 12:07 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

People can learn about new meds via the Internet, or better yet, their doctor.

I agree with Kat that these commercials encourage people to self-diagnose themselves with a MI or other condition that they probably don't even have.

I heard a really interesting discussion on Public Radio about how doctors are influenced by pharmaceutical companies. They're taken out to nice dinners or to a ballpark for a baseball game while a given company touts their med and how wonderful it is. I think that's wrong and should be stopped.

Pharmaceutical companies make enough as it is without these commercials or trying to encourage doctors to prescribe this med or that med.

Heck, I'm on 8 different meds and if it weren't for my insurance, I would be paying well over $2,000/month for them.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 03-21-2009 at 12:08 AM.

Old 03-21-2009, 01:12 AM   #14
Inactive
(male)

mtbjoe HB User

I'm really sorry Dreams,

That wasn't what I really meant.

I've just hit the delete key on 20 minutes of response since I feel out of line here. All I'll say is that these pathetic commercials at least have some regulations while the internet has none so just be careful.

Again I apologize I just may be paranoid...

Old 03-21-2009, 01:49 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

I understand what you meant. I was just trying to express my opinion about how I felt regarding pharmaceutical companies and their relationship with doctors.

I don't rely on the Internet for all of my information. I use it as an adjunct to my doctor's advice.

Fortunately, I've had 2.5 years of study in medical transcription, so I'm quite familiar with a variety of meds including those for MI.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 03-21-2009 at 01:50 AM.

Closed Thread