It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2009, 12:38 PM   #1
(female)

caitlin122 HB User
Feeling So Depressed...

Hi Everyone,
I have very depressed for the past 2 days, and it just doesn't seem to be getting any better. All I want to do is lay in bed, watch TV and sleep. I can't get out of this cycle. I feel so anxious. All I keep thinking about is how I lost my job, and what am I going to do??? I wish I could just think positive right now, but I just can't. I don't want to talk to anyone, I don't want to do anything, I don't want anything. I'm just so sad right now. Does anyone have any suggestions to get me out of this funk? I need help right now and I don't know what to do.

Old 03-20-2009, 09:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User
Re: Feeling So Depressed...

Caitlin,

Of course you are depressed an anxous. A result of real trauma, and you don't need to have bp to get that way after a job loss. The bp only makes it worse.
Anyone you can call or do coffee with? I know it would require a huge effort, but might help so much.
Are there support groups in your area for people who've lost jobs? As I write, I wonder if there are message boards for those recently let go. I bet there are. Maybe check it out.

How about establishing small goal, like getting dressed and getting something to eat, making a phone call.
Easy for me to say, I know, but when our lives fall apart like that, it's little steps at a time. And work provides such a structure. Being suddenly without it is disorienting at the least. So create another structure, write it out, what you'll do at 9, at 10. Might lessen the anxiety?

You can get out there and find another, maybe not what you were doing, but something. Not right away; you have had shock.

Keep in touch here, and know that you're pretty normal in this reaction. Just be careful it doesn't escalate.

I didn't say anything you already don't know, sorry. Stay in touch here, you're not alone.

Seaturtle

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2009, 09:44 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB User

Caitlin,

Well I can tell you what I do when my depression freqently gets that bad. My pdoc's and tdoc's number 1 rule for me is to "go through the motions". Start with small goals, 1. personal hygeine - make yourself get up in the a.m. brush your teeth, brush your hair, put on deodorant, shower if you can. If you have to lay back down, they okay for a bit. 2. Normal stuff - check the mail, load the dishwasher, through a load of laundry in, just some normal regular small thing that will give you something to do to keep you out of bed, just going through the motions of the day. 3. Walk time- Make yourself go outside for a small walk, even 15 min., then if you want to go lay back down fine. The thing is if you can make yourself do these small regular daily chores/things and then if you want to lay down in between them that's fine, at least you're making yourself go through the motions and get up out of bed for pieces of time. As days go by you can add to these things, call a friend, make calls to the social service places I told you about, call the unemployment place, these things you can even do from bed, but your still keeping yourself busy and making your brain think of something and having less time to feel sad and despondent. Just take it small steps at a time and make yourself go through the motions of the day.

my thoughts are with you...

kat

Old 03-21-2009, 03:07 PM   #4
(female)

caitlin122 HB User

Seaturtle and Kat,

Thank you so much for your words and your great advice. It helps to hear someone say it's okay for me to react to my job loss like this. I feel like I don't have a right to be this depressed, but both of your posts made me feel a little better. I am going to take your advice and start making small steps. Making one goal a day is where I will start. I'm so hoping this doesn't escalate, but today was no better than yesterday...in fact worse. I will make it my goal to get out and go for a walk tomorrow. I'll let you know if I reach my goal or not.

Old 03-21-2009, 06:21 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB User

Caitlin,
I'm sending you a pm.

Old 03-21-2009, 09:04 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User

Hi,

I'm glad it helped a bit. It's so hard for us to tell what is normal and what is our bp.
Your goal sounds great. Now, if you cannot do that, don't cave in. Pick a smaller, achievable goal.
Check in tomorrow, let us know?

Seaturtle

Old 03-22-2009, 06:31 PM   #7
(male)

MaestroStar HB User

When I read this line "It's so hard for us to tell what is normal and what is our bp," I can't believe how much you hit home. I am also job less right now and every day I fight through the motions to do something productive and I ask myself are these things that normal people do or is my bipolar self taking over right now. If only it were so easy.

Sam

Old 03-22-2009, 06:56 PM   #8
(female)

caitlin122 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaturtle View Post
Hi,

I'm glad it helped a bit. It's so hard for us to tell what is normal and what is our bp.
Your goal sounds great. Now, if you cannot do that, don't cave in. Pick a smaller, achievable goal.
Check in tomorrow, let us know?

Seaturtle
Thanks Seaturtle,
I took Kat's advice and got up today and did my normal hygiene activites. Once I was up and moving about I even had enough energy to go to the library. Now that night time is here, I once again am depressed. I also applied for a few jobs online, so that was a step in the right direction. Sleeping is till a huge problem for me, but I keep trying. One day at a time right now. That's all I can do. Really all I can do is one minute at a time.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:14 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User

You are doing really, really well! I know people who have lost their jobs and just cave in completely. "Healthy" people at that.

Perhaps the fact that we struggle ongoingly with such difficulties makes us stronger when facing adversity. People who have had it easy (no one does, I know, but I think some have more to bear than others) can't cope. We can somehow always get up again. And you've done a lot of that recently.

Kudos to you, kat!

Seaturtle

Old 03-22-2009, 08:37 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB User

Seaturtle,

No kudo's deserved for me....unfortunately this is my area of expertise, so whatever advice I can give to help someone else from suffering too much, I'll be glad to give.

How are you doing tonight Sea?

kat

Closed Thread