It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2009, 12:19 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User
I've Been Fired By My Pdoc

Hi everyone,

I can't believe this. My pdoc just "fired" me. After I told him about the auditory hallucinations I experienced this morning before I fell asleep, he told me that I should look for another pdoc who could address "my more intense needs" given the fact that he only works part time. He's such a wonderful pdoc. I'm at a loss for words right now. Now I'm wondering if I should bother seeing a pdoc at all for fear of bothering them. I give up.
Prozac 40mg
Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Last edited by dreams in neon; 03-21-2009 at 12:20 PM.

Old 03-21-2009, 12:25 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

typeing HB User
Re: I've Been Fired By My Pdoc

Dreams, going to see a pdoc is not bothering him. That pdoc is crazy. He just can't understand what you're going through i guess.
hypothyroid
cortizone deficient

Last edited by typeing; 03-21-2009 at 12:32 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2009, 12:35 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopetofeelwell1 HB User

Hi Dreams! I sympathize with you. I went to a psychiatrist for 3 1/2 years and during the time I saw him, I had a complete hysterectomy and my system totally changed. I had migraine headaches that were excrutiating and took Fiorinal as prescribed by a neurologist for over a year. I was having severe mood problems and the pdoc decided the meds he prescribed for me weren't working properly because I was a drug addict because of the Fiorinal. Not only did he dump me but the therapist working with him dropped me also. I get a kick out of them being picky choosy about patients having only "good" problems, not intensive ones. I have learned that it is a big world out there and I am the one who can pick and choose the good ones, not be the one who's at the bottom of the barrel. Just remember that something better is coming along to help you. God bless and take care--Hopeto

Old 03-21-2009, 12:35 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

I don't understand, typeing. He specializes in atypical bipolar which is what I have. He also told me how rapid cycling is difficult to treat, so why did he tell me to find another pdoc who could address my "more intense needs?" I'm so confused right now. I've been seeing him since December and only called him twice in all that time. I don't know. Maybe I'm not trying hard enough to get well.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 03-21-2009, 12:40 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopeto,

In the 18 years I've been in the mental health system, I've only had 2 good pdocs who actually cared. I thought this one did too, but apparently not. My last pdoc was horrible and so was the one who was recommended to me after I was hospitalized in 2006. We just don't have good pdocs in my area it seems. Now I have to search the Internet and make call after call trying to find a pdoc who will accept my insurance. There was another pdoc I saw before this one when I was looking for a new doctor, but he only sees patients once every 3 months and due to my rapid cycling, I really need monthly appointments. I'm tempted to call this pdoc back and ask if he'll continue seeing me because I really did like him. I'm not going to do that though. I think I'm going to call the first pdoc I saw and schedule an appointment since I liked him as well. I'm also going to ask if I can see him on a monthly or at least a bi-montly basis. If I need to see him once every 3 months, I guess that's okay since I do feel quite comfortable with him. The only reason I didn't choose that pdoc was because the pdoc I currently have is located closer to my home.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 03-21-2009 at 12:43 PM.

Old 03-21-2009, 01:30 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

typeing HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams in neon View Post
I don't understand, typeing. He specializes in atypical bipolar which is what I have. He also told me how rapid cycling is difficult to treat, so why did he tell me to find another pdoc who could address my "more intense needs?" I'm so confused right now. I've been seeing him since December and only called him twice in all that time. I don't know. Maybe I'm not trying hard enough to get well.
Dreams, I know you are working hard, don't give up on yourself, i don't understand why he did what he did. Maybe he had a man pms moment *yes, i think men have them too* I'm sorry. I don't understand what's going on with him.
hypothyroid
cortizone deficient

Old 03-21-2009, 01:38 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

LOL typeing.

I have an update.

I found a note in Braille which has an appointment written on it for April 3 with the first pdoc I saw when I was looking for a new one. I like him just as much as my current pdoc. The only reason I didn't see him was because my current pdoc's office is located closer to my home.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 03-21-2009, 01:39 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

typeing HB User

Yay dreams! I hope it goes well.
hypothyroid
cortizone deficient

Old 03-21-2009, 02:28 PM   #9
Inactive
(male)

mtbjoe HB User

That's great! Best of luck!

I can completely understand and respect any type of doc even if he "specializes" in something to admit he's over his head but to not refer you to someone more qualified is just horrible and un-excusable in just about every professional and moral way I can think of.

BTW if you've ever seen me post about anxiety/panic next for me comes anger, impatience and a few others and I'll let you guess which one I'm feeling right now after I read this...

Old 03-21-2009, 02:34 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbjoe View Post
That's great! Best of luck!

I can completely understand and respect any type of doc even if he "specializes" in something to admit he's over his head but to not refer you to someone more qualified is just horrible and un-excusable in just about every professional and moral way I can think of.

BTW if you've ever seen me post about anxiety/panic next for me comes anger, impatience and a few others and I'll let you guess which one I'm feeling right now after I read this...
Thank you both.

I misread my note. One of the Braille dots wasn't clear. My appointment with the first pdoc is on April 13, but I'm not worried since that isn't too far away.

Besides, I have my Clonazepam which I can take if I start to rapid cycle into mania or depression.

I agree with you about my pdoc not being professional in referring me to someone else. It's funny you should say that because when he fired me, his exact words were, "I regret to tell you this, but in my professional opinion, I think it would be best if you find another pdoc who can address your more intense needs."

When I see the first pdoc on the 13th, I'm going to tell him what happened and explain the problems I have with rapid cycling and auditory hallucinations.

I'm also going to express the fear I have about him leaving me even though he most likely wouldn't. It's still something I'm afraid of though because I don't want another pdoc to give up on me.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 03-21-2009 at 02:35 PM.

Old 03-21-2009, 04:06 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

typeing HB User

I hope the pdoc is good to you.
hypothyroid
cortizone deficient

Old 03-21-2009, 04:07 PM   #12
(female)

cattownfl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams in neon View Post
Hi everyone,

I can't believe this. My pdoc just "fired" me. After I told him about the auditory hallucinations I experienced this morning before I fell asleep, he told me that I should look for another pdoc who could address "my more intense needs" given the fact that he only works part time. He's such a wonderful pdoc. I'm at a loss for words right now. Now I'm wondering if I should bother seeing a pdoc at all for fear of bothering them. I give up.
Sorry for being so blunt, be he sounds like an @ss...find another one. Thats just wrong. Dont sweat it find another one thats "fulltime"

Old 03-21-2009, 04:18 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Dreams,

I am just flabbergasted, I truly do not know what to say. He seemed to be so "in tune" to your needs. I definitely agree that you should go to the appt. with the first pdoc, and just explain the situation and hopefully he'll agree to see you more frequently then every 3 months. I'd almost consider turning the other one in for dropping you and not sending you to another, with the way you rapid cycle. Tomorrow you might want to call your tdoc and let him know what's going on.

kat

Old 03-21-2009, 04:37 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlin09 View Post
Dreams,

I am just flabbergasted, I truly do not know what to say. He seemed to be so "in tune" to your needs. I definitely agree that you should go to the appt. with the first pdoc, and just explain the situation and hopefully he'll agree to see you more frequently then every 3 months. I'd almost consider turning the other one in for dropping you and not sending you to another, with the way you rapid cycle. Tomorrow you might want to call your tdoc and let him know what's going on.

kat
I called my tdoc earlier, but he isn't in the office and this isn't an emergency. I'm sure he'll call on Monday and when he does, I am definitely going to mention this to him.

I've thought about reporting my current pdoc to the AMA and think I will do just that.

I honestly don't understand his line of thinking given what he told me about how difficult rapid cycling is to treat.

If truth be told, he makes me feel like a failure.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 03-21-2009 at 04:39 PM.

Old 03-21-2009, 04:41 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cattownfl View Post
Sorry for being so blunt, be he sounds like an @ss...find another one. Thats just wrong. Dont sweat it find another one thats "fulltime"
I hate to say it, but I agree.

What's confusing to me is at the beginning of our conversation he recommended increasing my Depakote (for my mania), but by the end of it, he suggested that I see a different pdoc.

I don't understand. It's not like I call him all the time. I've been seeing him since December and have only called twice when I was manic. Today's call was the third I've made and everyone on the other BP boards I participate on told me it would be a good idea to let him know about my hallucinations. So much for that idea.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 03-21-2009 at 04:43 PM.

Closed Thread