It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2009, 10:08 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User
When Is It the Right Time?

Hi everyone,

I have a question I hope some of you can help me with because it's one that I'm confused about.

How do you know when the right time is to contact your pdoc?

For example, do you contact them if you're showing early signs of hypomania or mania or do you wait until your symptoms are moderate or severe?

The reason I ask this question is because I made the mistake of calling my old pdoc to tell him my tdoc said I was manic and I was starting to hear voices again.

Now that I'm seeing a new pdoc, I'm confused as to when the right time is to call him for a med adjustment.

I feel like I'm between a rock and a hard place since I'm a rapid cycler and my moods change often because of it.

How do I guage when to call my pdoc vs. when not to?

I don't want to call my new pdoc needlessly, but at the same time, I don't want to suffer uneccessarily either.

Any thoughts?
Prozac 40mg
Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Old 03-24-2009, 12:04 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User
Re: When Is It the Right Time?

ahhh Dreams,

I so feel responsible for your confusion, I am sorry my friend.

My tdoc alwasy says I am to call my pdoc at the first signs of when I start to feel manic, now whether this is because I rarely ever get manic or not and it's usually because of a major med change I don't know. but between tdoc and pdoc that's the rule.

As for med changes my pdoc would not let me just call and suggest a med change, that would only happen during an appointment in his office.

If you were hereing voices or psychotic I would call the pdoc immediatly. Remember you talked to your new pdoc about that and he said to call when this happened. So Call.

kat

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2009, 12:20 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

I know Kat, but thanks to my old pdoc, I'm always going to have the fear of being deserted by another pdoc. I've never had that fear before, but I do now.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 03-24-2009, 12:22 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Part of me wonders too if I could learn how to control my rapid cycling through DBT or CBT. This is something I plan to discuss with my tdoc at our next appointment.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 03-24-2009 at 12:22 PM.

Old 03-24-2009, 12:24 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

It's very difficult for me to know the right thing to do since I'm a rapid cycler who experiences hypomania and mania 95% of the time. If my bipolar fell more on the depressed side, it would be easy for me to know when I need to call my pdoc.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 03-24-2009 at 12:25 PM.

Old 03-24-2009, 02:18 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Yeah we depressed peeps tend to never call our pdocs! *L*

I would definitely talk to your tdoc about them. What method of therapy does your new pdoc use? Like my pdoc is grounded in CBT as far as his practice goes. So he works on that type of therapy.

You might also talk about EMDR with your tdoc. That's what I've started with my tdoc. I do know that DBT centers on whatever specific "problem" you want to work on and correct. The one thing though it's not a slow process, my program is a 17 month program.

I don't think you can go to DBT for rapid cycling alone, but you could go to it for underlying issues that may contribute to the rapid cycling.

kat

Old 03-24-2009, 02:58 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kat,

I have no idea what kind of therapy my pdoc practices. I didn't even know they practiced any kind of therapy.

My tdoc does both CBT and DBT although I have no idea what he uses with me.

I've had CBT in the past and it was a complete failure.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 03-24-2009, 04:03 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

I can assure you it's not DBT, that is a totall different program all in itself, you'd know if the tdoc was using it on you, it's very different and would include a workbook that you had to do daily 'homework' in.

CBT is the most general therapy I think that pdocs/tdocs use. I know that my pdoc's general practice is psychodynamic psychotherapy and then uses CBT where needed. My tdoc also starts out with a form of CBT.

kat

Old 03-24-2009, 04:21 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

I have no idea if my tdoc incorporates CBT into my sessions or not.

I used to work with a tdoc many years ago who used CBT and it was a complete failure.
Of course, the tdoc left alot to be desired.

For example, she blamed me for the ambivalence I have about a certain taboo subject despite the abuse I experienced during my childhood and teenage years.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 03-24-2009 at 04:23 PM.

Old 03-24-2009, 04:51 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

ummmmm...yeah she really sound like she knew what she was doing.

My tdoc questions it sometimes, but only as a means to an end. She wants to know if I've just given up of if I'm still using the alt. coping techniques, etc. Sometimes I just get tired of it all and have a "who cares" attitude. But she's never mean about it, it's more of a if she senses that attitude then she try's very hard to steer me back to a more proactive way of dealing.

kat

Old 03-24-2009, 05:00 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

My tdoc is the same way. He allows me to have my moments where I moan and whine about having bipolar, but he also encourages me to problem solve and think positively.

For instance, if I mention something negative about a given situation, he'll tell me all of the good things which I like because as you know, when you're depressed, it's difficult to look on the bright side.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 03-24-2009, 05:55 PM   #12
(female)

Bunnylover HB User

It really depends. Depression, as soon as I recognize I am starting to get depressed, I call the next business day. I know depression will always, only get worse without adjustment.

Hypomania, only if it goes on a couple days or seems to be worsening, because that doesn't tend to get out of hand.

Old 03-24-2009, 06:11 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

I've never called my pdoc when I'm hypomanic unless it has turned into mania.

As far as depression is concerned, if I feel suicidal, I call my pdoc right away no matter how long it has been since I rapid cycled.

If I cycle from mania to extreme anger to severe depression, I call immediately since I'm prone to psychotic depression.

Depression is very easy for me to recognize, but mania isn't. I need my tdoc's help in letting me know when I'm manic because I can't always tell the difference between feeling level and feeling really, really good. Sometimes they feel the same.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 03-24-2009 at 06:12 PM.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:35 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

A friend of mine who has BPII suggested that I write down a list of my symptoms the next time I'm manic so I can better understand what's happening to me.

When I see my pdoc on Monday I also plan to ask him to write down some guidelines as to when I should call him so I can refer to this at a later time.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 03-24-2009, 07:45 PM   #15
Inactive
(female)

It interests me that you can't tell the different between your stable times and your manic stage.....when your stable are you generally in a pretty good mood?

k

Closed Thread