It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2009, 11:14 AM   #1
(female)

hjjasnell HB User
Question Would you call this a mixed state?

I have been in what I believe to be a mixed state for several weeks now. Is that even possible? I have been exhausted and depressed but I cant' stop the racing thoughts, irritability and anxiety. It frustrating! It's like my mind can't decide on what it wants to do, be manic or depressed. I can't concentrate to save my life. My memory is shot. I want to sleep all the time but I can't. I toss and turn and wake up 500 times every night but am so exhausted I fall asleep in my office every day. I want to harm myself and have non-chalantly thought things like "Hmmm, I wonder what it would feel like to punch that glass window and shatter it" (that was my thought yesterday afternoon). I'm not into self-harm, never have been. I have been suicidal in the past but never to the point of hospitalization (or at least not what I've told people of anyways). Can you have a mixed state go on for weeks on end? I should have went to my pdoc before now but I haven't had the money (she's not covered by my insurance...no one in my county is...crappy insurance!). I finally have a little bit and am going to see her in just a couple hours but wanted the opinion of others who have been there done that. Please any and all advice and thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!

Old 03-25-2009, 11:21 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User
Re: Would you call this a mixed state?

Heather,

So sorry for what must be a really hard time for you. It sounds like a mixed state, and I suppose you could have it for a period of time. Why not? You can be depressed for weeks or manic for weeks, so why not mixed? It's really good that you're going to see your pdoc, she'll be able to help you with this way more than we can. Perhaps a med adjustment will take care of this problem for you. Does your insurance cover any of the cost an out of network amount? My pdoc is out of network, and my ins. covers part of the cost, I just have to file the claim. You might want to check into this, they might cover as much as 50%.

Best of luck to you with your appt.

kat

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2009, 11:48 AM   #3
(female)

hjjasnell HB User

Unfortunately my insurance doesn't cover mental health out of network. They barely cover mental health in network and she is so wonderful I'm not about to go anywhere else. I like my pdoc and am happy with her...I finally found one I'm comfortable with so I'm sticking with her no matter how much it costs. I just have to find a way to afford it. Thanks so much for the suggestion though. Some people may not be aware of that.

I really do believe I'm in a mixed state and have been for a while but wanted to opinions of others. Thank you!

Old 03-25-2009, 12:04 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User

What you've described sounds like a mixed state to me as well.

To answer your question, yes, it's possible to experience a mixed episode for weeks -- even months.
Prozac 40mg
Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Old 03-25-2009, 02:00 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Heather,

How did yor pdoc appt go?

kat

Old 03-25-2009, 04:38 PM   #6
(female)

hjjasnell HB User

Hi Kat,

Thanks so much for asking hun. It went really well. I currently take Abilify as my mood stabilizer and she's upping my dose to see if that helps and I'm to go back and see her next week. She said I'm definitely in a mixed state and we need to stabilize things first. Plus she's upping my dose of trazadone to help me sleep at night. She's leaving my Zoloft where it is and may take it away all together for now and I'm not on my Concerta for my ADD for the moment. She feels it's only exacerbating the mania for the time being. We'll see how all this helps. I'm willing to try anything to help. The bad thoughts are not doing me any good and I need to try to help get rid of them. I've never ever ever been one to self harm and don't want to start now. I'm too afraid of pain LOL. I have thought of suicide in the past but it's been years since the last time and I'm not to that point yet. Anywho, thank you so much for asking. It's so nice to talk to others who know what I'm going through. Thank you for listening and for your thoughts.

Old 03-25-2009, 06:54 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

I also take Abilify, and Trazadone, but am weaning off of that, replaced by Remeron yesterday, I'll be off the Trazadone in two weeks when I see my pdoc again. I got off Zoloft completely 2 months ago after a 6 yr. stint, I hated that med. I also take Lamictal and Topamax so am on 3 mood stabilizers, but I have severe BP suicidal depression and unfortunately am a rather severe SI/SH'er. Of course right now I've bounced into Hypomania, and not the happy kind, I'm super agitated and angry at everyone and everything.

I'm glad that your pdoc was able to confirm your mixed state, I know how much it sucks to not know what's going on and feel like your going nuts. Hopefully all the med adjustment will get things stabilized for you. If I may ask what mg of Abilify are you on now and have you had any side effects from it? I haven't but many have. I'm on 10mg.

kat

Old 03-26-2009, 05:41 AM   #8
(female)

hjjasnell HB User

Well now I'm on 20mg of Abilify up from 15mg and we'll be increasing to 25 and possibly 30 if the 20 doesn't help and then 25 doesn't help. I haven't had any side effects from it. She also mentioned adding Topamax once we get me stabilized (doesn't want to add anything while upping the dose of something else). May I ask what you take Topamax for? She wants to give it to me for weight loss as I have gained quite a bit of weight in the past six months (like 50lbs) from just being Bipolar and having cravings and being on meds and so on and so on.

My son also takes Abilify 5mg as his mood stabilizer and he hasn't had any side effects from it that he's told me of (and he tells me when he has the slightest tummyache or headache).

About the zoloft, I think its useless for me but I can't stop taking it I have severe withdrawal effects when I don't get it. I've even tried weaning off of it slowly and still have them. The zoloft was given to me to help with my OCD (specifically my obsessive thoughts) and at first it helped but then again the pdoc I was seeing started me on several meds all at the same time so it could have, in all reality, been something else that was helping with the obsessive thoughts. I don't know. I didn't like that pdoc and am now seeing a different one.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:42 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

I know this question wasn't directed at me, but I wanted to mention this for the benefit of the original poster. I take Topamax for migraines, but according to my old pdoc, it can also be used as a mood stabilizer for treating bipolar. I'm currently taking 50mg, but will be titrated to 100mg since the 50mg is proving to be ineffective in helping my migraines. (By the way, I know I keep saying that my dosage will be increased. I need to call my GP before this can be done. I'm terrible when it comes to making phone calls due to my poor memory.)
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 03-26-2009 at 06:43 AM.

Old 03-26-2009, 07:01 AM   #10
(female)

hjjasnell HB User

You're not the only one with poor memory. My memory (short term) absolutely sucks! Thanks for the info about the Topamax. She did mention that it would also help with stabilization which would be an added benefit to taking it. I hate the thought of yet another med but if it will help get me stable then I'm all for it so to speak.

Old 03-26-2009, 07:50 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjjasnell View Post
You're not the only one with poor memory. My memory (short term) absolutely sucks! Thanks for the info about the Topamax. She did mention that it would also help with stabilization which would be an added benefit to taking it. I hate the thought of yet another med but if it will help get me stable then I'm all for it so to speak.
You have the right attitude. Good for you! That's exactly how I feel. I take 5 meds for my bipolar, but all of them treat specific symptoms and without any one of them, I wouldn't be as stable as I am.

I have severe problems with short term memory and have ever since I started taking Depakote 3 years ago. I always need to write things down in my PDA as well as keep "to do" lists. It's a nuisance, but since I've been dealing with this for such a long time, I've become used to it.

Let us know if the Topamax works for you! I will keep my fingers crossed that it does!
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 03-26-2009, 09:38 AM   #12
Inactive
(female)

I also had really bad w/d effects from the zoloft my pdoc gave my klonopin to help with that and weaned me off slow and what w/d effects were left I just had to push through. I started takeing Topamax for Cluster Migraines and a Seizure Diorder in the beginning, and it gives that added punch of being a mood stabilizer. I'm not trying to scare you from taking Topamax, but docs who prescribe it for weight loss, should be questioned for mal practice. Topamax has some serious side effects such a neurologic deficit, it seriously effects your memory and ability to form thoughts and verbalize them. It also causes kidney stones, within 4 months to the day of starting Topamax I was in the operating room having a 13mm kidney stone removed, I currently have another stone in my right kidney. I am also on a controlled diet as to what i can eat or drink because of what thinks work with the Topamax to form the stones. So please be careful if you decide to take this med. The other thing is not all people lose weight. And if you take it and then stop, and go back on it, the weight loss does not occure the second time. Also the weight loss occurs only because you can't taste food for the first few weeks and you don't eat, which is totally unhealthy, because you're basically starving yourself, so once the initial weight comes off, you don't keep losing weight. I've been on it for 2 years now and I'm on 100 mg.

kat

Last edited by katlin09; 03-26-2009 at 09:42 AM.

Old 03-26-2009, 10:01 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

I've been taking Topamax since last year and never had any problems with an inability to taste food.

However, it does tend to make caffeinated drinks taste different.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 03-26-2009, 10:02 AM   #14
Inactive
(female)

dreams,

how much weight did you lose in the beginning of taking topamax?

k

Old 03-26-2009, 10:13 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlin09 View Post
dreams,

how much weight did you lose in the beginning of taking topamax?

k
To be honest, I don't know how much weight I've lost due to Topamax.

I lose weight because of my rapid cycling since I don't eat when I'm manic or depressed.

When my GP weighed me in January, I was 127. When she weighed me 2 weeks ago, I was 114.

I asked my tdoc to weigh me last week and I'm still holding at 114.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 03-26-2009 at 10:14 AM.

Closed Thread