It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2009, 02:11 PM   #1
(female)

ridersam HB User
smelling bad things during hypomania/mania?

I'm not crazy but I seem to get a constant bad smell that I can't get rid of and I've looked everywhere for it and it is not there!! But I swear I can smell it. Also I find odours intensified immensley ie couldn't stand the smell of my son's sandwich yet I made it for him. My senses all seemed to be heightened during hypomania/mania. I've had it once before in a hypomanic episode.
Is this a common experience?
The smell dissappeared when I upped the Risperdal.
Can anyone shed some light on this one?

Thanks heaps
Sam

Old 03-25-2009, 03:04 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User
Re: smelling bad things during hypomania/mania?

This is a normal occurence with some people and some meds. When I started Topomax for the first 2 months nothing I put in my mouth had a taste, sodas were totally flat. When I used to take Depakote I would taste like I had a penney in my mouth. It's just something that happens tosome of us. Have you asked your pdoc about it?

kat

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2009, 09:41 PM   #3
(female)

ridersam HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlin09 View Post
This is a normal occurence with some people and some meds. When I started Topomax for the first 2 months nothing I put in my mouth had a taste, sodas were totally flat. When I used to take Depakote I would taste like I had a penney in my mouth. It's just something that happens tosome of us. Have you asked your pdoc about it?

kat
I know it is not medications as I've been on them for ages. Normally I don't experience this abnormal smell except when I've been having a high. As I said it goes away with a bump up in medication. it has only happened once before and yes my pschiatrist knows about it and has said that often in hypomania/mania the senses are more heightened than usual. Saw my caseworker today and he said the same. Perhaps the smelling sense was more obvious than the others.
Sam

Old 03-25-2009, 09:54 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

light the world HB User

I don't know myself what it could be but I know that I smell things that don't actually exist. I even taste things that don't exist. Things like ethanol and peanut butter. I'm able to smell and taste them whenever there is no sign of them being around. I know that my pdoc said to me that these were smell and taste hallucinations. Also known as Olfactory Hallucinations. I don't know how I'm able to smell these things especially ethanol, I don't know where that came from but I'm sure that its ethanol. I smelled it in chemistry class many times. Sometimes I can even taste it but I've never even tasted ethanol before which is strange.

Meds: Clonazepam 4mg, Seroquel 200mg

Old 03-25-2009, 10:30 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Okay that was jjsut my experience and opinion guess I was wrong.

Old 03-26-2009, 08:02 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User

kat,

I had these gutatory and olfactory distortions during my very brief time on Topomax, too.

I get these distortions as part of a migraine aura, and since bp and migraines are often seen together, I am not surprised that the OR has them. Or any of us.

I also hear things much too loudly, not loud sounds, just ordinary sounds that bother no one else. I think our senses go into overdrive, we are over-stimulated by the ordinary world.

Old 03-26-2009, 09:46 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Seaturtle,

Do you ever get brain zaps? Where you feel like an electric charge hit your brain for about 5 seconds and then it stops and it's kind of like a hiccup in that it repeats itself a few times. I only get them while laying down and usually when I forget a med. It may just be a seizure thing, but I'd be interested to know?

kat

Old 03-27-2009, 06:08 AM   #8
(female)

caitlin122 HB User

I get those when I miss doses of my effexor. They are so annoying and discomforting.

Old 03-27-2009, 09:00 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

they are aren't they, I find I only get them when I'm laying down totally relaxed that's how I used to tell I'd forgotten to take my Zoloft. and now it happens when I don't take my Abilify on time. They do hurt a bit.

kat

Old 03-27-2009, 07:28 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User

kat,

I think these are SSRI-related. I had them bad, bad, when I was withdrawing from Paxil.
I am don't them now, but I do have momentry seconds of a sort of loss of consciousness, as if I'd passed out for a few seconds.
Kind of electric shock, you mean?

Seaurtle

Old 03-27-2009, 09:11 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

seatutle,

Yeah like an electrical charge dead to the center of your brain. And now that you mention it they normally do happen with SSRI's.

k

Closed Thread