It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2009, 08:19 AM   #1
(female)

Lwood1133 HB User
Question grandson with bipolar

I have a 19 year old grandson with bipolar it was just discovered 3 years ago the first year he was hospitalized then he seemed to get better he is on ablify and buspar he had another bad episode last summer he almost starved himself to death the new dr. we took him to actually prescribed the medicine he is on now however they said it was the geodone that caused all the problems so that is why the switch but within the last six months he has started binging and spending money excessively again he yells at me constantly and says that if I tell his father what is going on he will kill himself he seems to be drawn to death he is constantly saying he wants to kill himself he tells me that I do not need to worry he would never hurt anyone else but I am getting very upset what should I do.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2009, 03:23 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Llama HB User
Re: grandson with bipolar

Call his psychiatrist if you can. Call anyone. Call the police to do a welfare check on him. This is serious if he keeps threatening suicide.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2009, 03:54 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

As someone who suffers from severe suicidal depression, I would definitely take this seriously and contact someone. Is he in your custody? If he is then talk with this psychiatrist. If he's not in your custody then talk with his parents and let them know what's going on. These may seem like idol threats, but one day a threat can turn into an attempt or completion of suicide. Definitely do not keep this to yourself, it could be helped with something as easy as a med adjustment, and then he could be less tortured. because one thing i can assure you, however tortured, pained, stressed he's seems on the outside, it's probably about a hundred times worth on the inside. And even though he threatens you if you tell someone, these are probably major cries for help.

kat

Old 03-30-2009, 03:15 PM   #4
(female)

Lwood1133 HB User

thank you for your advice actually I do not have custody of him but he spends a lot of time here they live close by I did sit down with his parents this weekend and they have called his phsychatrist and she is getting him outpatient therapy plus changing his medicine she said it may take at least 3 weeks to take affect but we just have to be patient with him he is aware And is accepting all the help he can get.

Old 03-30-2009, 03:16 PM   #5
(female)

Lwood1133 HB User

no need to call police they cannot help his physcatrist is now getting him the help he needs

Old 03-30-2009, 03:40 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Lwood,

That is so great that you care enough to sit down his parents and discuss his care and what he needs. You are very special and he is one lucky guy. It sounds like his pdoc is very aware of what he needs and will be continuing to act on his best interests that also is great.

We welcome your prescence here on the boards and would love for you to keep coming round and letting us know how you and your grandson are doing.

Once again, congratulations on being brave enough to do what you thought was best and getting him help, you must love him very very much. I know it's not easy when the person wiith BP is threatening unreasonable acts if you tell anyone, but you were smart enough to know that he was just begging for help, way to go.

kat

Old 03-30-2009, 10:32 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Llama HB User

I am glad that a welfare check was not needed. They can be tramautic, but necessary.

Closed Thread