It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2009, 11:48 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

light the world HB User
Melatonin

Just a quick question on melatonin. Can your body actually eventually stop making its own melatonin if you take melatonin for long periods of time?

Meds: Clonazepam 4mg, Seroquel 200mg

Old 03-28-2009, 02:16 PM   #2
(female)

caitlin122 HB User
Re: Melatonin

Under,
I'm not sure, but I bet your pdoc should be able to tell you. I researched it on the internet, but all I could find was that it is definitely safe for short term use, however, the long term effects are not known yet. I did read on one website that their are case studies of patients who have taken melatonin on a long term basis, so I bet if you google that you may be able to find some answers. Otherwise, I would say your best bet would be to ask your pdoc. If I had to guess I would say no, your body would not stop producing it naturally, but that's just my guess.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2009, 02:21 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Llama HB User

This is a good question for a pharmacist or a doctor. They would know for sure. My guess would also be no! But who can be sure w/o a doctor's knowledge.

Old 03-28-2009, 03:02 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

What you have to remember about Melatonin is that it is a Hormone, and with all hormones if you use it too much your body will stop producing it's own. Melatonin should only be used 3 or 4 times a week max. It can be addictive and your body can become dependent on it for sleep. The bad thing about all these sleep remedies is that they upset a person't natural Circadium Rhythym, and when this happens your body depends on whatever your taking to go to sleep.

Some other things you can try are Chamomile tea, Magnesium is a natural calming agent, when taking with a hot bath before bed, it can be maximized for relaxation, and of course Valerian Root.

This is all easialy obtained knowledge if you do an internet search, but you should also be sure and ask your pdoc these questions when you see him next time, especially since you've been having so much trouble sleeping.

I've tried most of them, but my insomnia is so severe....alot of these natural solutions don't do much for me. I keep a strict bedtime routine that stays the same each night, but still don't fall asleep until 4 or 5 in the morning and only get 2 - 3 hours a night. But everyone is different, and maybe some of them might work for you.

kat

Last edited by katlin09; 03-28-2009 at 03:06 PM.

Old 03-28-2009, 06:11 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

light the world HB User

I guess I'll have to find other things for helping me sleep. I don't really want to take melatonin any longer than. I take 15mg of it a night and it still really doesn't put me to sleep anyways.

Old 03-28-2009, 06:17 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Ben,

I have a question, you list psychosis as a part of your diagnosis in your signature, but "psychosis" isn't a "disorder" in itself. Psychosis is a symptom of a Disorder....so what disorder do you have that psychosis is a symptom of?

kat

Old 03-28-2009, 06:23 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

light the world HB User

Were not sure yet actually. Thats why I only put down psychosis. My pdoc thinks it could be schizoaffective disorder. There is definitly some mood disorder aspect to it but I never get psychotic when I'm manic though so it couldn't be atypical bipolar. To be honest my pdoc isn't totally 100% sure about what to diagnose yet. I haven't been diagnosed with anything yet. Hopefully I won't have to be diagnosed with anything because I don't want to have to be labelled with something. I can remember being labelled with social anxiety disorder and it was terrible. All of my highschool teachers had to know about it. Don't know why but they would have found out anyways.

Old 03-28-2009, 06:30 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Well what exactly do you mean by psychosis, what do you mean when you become psychotic?

kat

Old 03-28-2009, 06:38 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

light the world HB User

Well I hear voices see things that are apparently not real. I also feel bugs that aren't apparently real either. They always crawl underneath my skin which is really painful. I hate it when that happens. I know I've discussed more of this stuff with dreams I think in the schizophrenia forum. Fortunatly I haven't experienced any of these things for over 4 weeks which is good. Don't know why that is considering I haven't been on any antipsychotics for the past 4 weeks. But I have had trouble sleeping though. My pdoc says that I'm manic when this happens which is where this mood disorder aspect comes in. Although there were some voices that I did like hearing though that I could even talk back to. I miss talking to them.

Old 03-29-2009, 01:05 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User

Ben,

There's absolutely no shame in being diagnosed with a mental illness. I have bipolar and PTSD yet I feel no embarrassment whatsoever. If people can't accept me for who I am bipolar and all, that's their problem -- not mine.
Prozac 40mg
Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Last edited by dreams in neon; 03-29-2009 at 01:17 PM.

Old 03-29-2009, 01:11 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ben,

I hear voices when I'm in a normal mood if I accidentally skip a dose of my meds, but I don't know if this means I'm schizoaffective. I'll have to talk to my new pdoc about that when I see him tomorrow. Then again, it really doesn't matter to me as long as my meds work the way they're supposed to.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 03-29-2009 at 01:16 PM.

Old 03-29-2009, 01:15 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ben,

I just saw your post which said that your pdoc thinks you may have schizoaffective disorder. I'm not a pdoc, but I'm confused by that since people with schizoaffective hear voices when they're manic or depressed as well as when they're in a normal mood state. I wonder if you don't have bipolar 1 with psychotic features or atypical bipolar since people with these disorders tend to hear voices when they're depressed (and/or manic).
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 03-29-2009, 09:11 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

light the world HB User

Well its a weird thing to make a diagnosis. You see I only get psychotic when I'm either in a normal mood or am depressed. So I suppose a diagnosis of schizoaffective might be pushing it and that it could just be bipolar 1 with psychotic features. Who knows anyways its so early to tell. I haven't even been psychotic for 4 weekks now. Maybe this will all go away. Although for some reason I feel as if its actually being manic and the lack of sleep which is preventing me from being psychotic.(I understand that its not usually the way it is with people when this happens though) I feel as if when this lack of sleep and this manic phase goes away I'll become psychotic again which I really hope doesn't happen.

Last edited by light the world; 03-29-2009 at 09:16 PM.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:38 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ben,

If your med has helped with your psychosis for a month, chances are likely that it will continue to help you even when you are in a normal mood. I don't know if you experience psychotic depression, but I do. I've just started taking a high dose of Risperdal, so it will be interesting to see if it prevents me from experiencing psychosis when I'm depressed.

By the way, it doesn't take a long time for a pdoc to make a diagnosis. If you experience psychosis when you're in a normal mood state and when you're depressed, it means you have schizoaffective.

BPI with psychotic features describe people who *only* experience psychosis when they are manic and/or depressed.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 03-29-2009, 09:40 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ben,

You won't experience psychosis due to lack of sleep unless you've been awake for days. If you've been able to sleep a few hours each night, that will prevent psychosis from occurring.

As for whether or not your psychosis will go away permanently, that depends on what is causing it.

Hopefully the med you're on will help eliminate them completely.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Closed Thread