It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2009, 07:56 PM   #1
(female)

hunter2 HB User
Constant mood changes (help)

I am aware I need to see a doctor for this. I am coming here to see if this sounds like BP or another disorder. I was on the depression board before seeking similar advice.

A major problem I'm having is my constant mood changes. The majority of the time I am in a bad mood. Either depressed, irritable, empty or all 3. I am always thinking negatively. Sometimes though, I will catch myself in a decent mood but within minutes/seconds I'm miserable again. I can be in mid conversation - kind of chatty/happy, then suddenly I'm depressed again so I get quiet and don't want to talk anymore. I can go out to a store in hopes of having a good time, then after a short time I just say "forget it, I want to go home this is pointless... I don't want to be here anymore." Instantly this happens after me being ok a few minutes before!

I feel guilty because I take my problems out on my family. My mother a lot of the times tries to get me to do things to help me. She will tell me to go for a walk with her. If I start to get into a better mood, I will have a conversation with her. But like clockwork I become upset and irritated again. When I am upset/angry I get quiet and stoic. Then I just say something mean like "this was a waste of time coming here, why the hell did I agree to do this? I want to leave". Just today I tried to paint and after a while I just threw my paintbrush down and said "FORGET IT, I'M DONE!" and I got so mad I cried. I'm sick of trying to find things that make me feel happy, because nothing does. I don't know if this sounds like bipolar disorder but this is driving me crazy. Does this sound familiar?

Last edited by hunter2; 03-28-2009 at 08:01 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2009, 01:57 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User
Re: Constant mood changes (help)

None of us here can diagnose you, but if you think you have bipolar, I would see a pdoc.

Having said that, I have a question for you. Do you ever feel extremely happy or better than usual, as if you have tons of energy, are you restless or have difficulty concentrating? The reason I ask is because those are signs of hypomania or mania.

If you don't experience these symptoms, chances are likely that you do not have bipolar, but agitated depression or major depressive disorder.
Prozac 40mg
Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Last edited by dreams in neon; 03-29-2009 at 02:02 PM.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:53 PM   #3
(female)

ChloeJ HB User

You can have very rapid mood changes. Today, within 1/2 hour, I went from manic to irritated and angry and then to depressed and crying. It is no fun. If this is what you are experiencing, you definitely need to seek help. And there is help. They had tried to put my on Topamax and it turned out to be a disaster for me. But there are things that can help. But frequent and quick mood swngs are possible.

Good luck,
ChloeJ

Old 03-30-2009, 11:28 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User

I agree with Cloe's post. I'm a rapid cycler myself and my moods change on an hourly and sometimes minute by minute basis. I'm taking 5 meds for my bipolar which all address certain symptoms. One of those meds is Clonazepam which I take whenever I feel myself start to rapid cycle into agitation or mania. I've been taking Clonazepam for several weeks now and it's working like a charm. If you decide to see a pdoc, I would definitely mention your mood swings and how rapidly they change.
Prozac 40mg
Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Closed Thread