It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2009, 01:01 AM   #1
(female)

kateayy HB User
How many people look at Bipolar

I have realized that many people who arnt bipolar act as if it doesn't affect people with it, or that people with it should just "get over it." I really hate it when people tell me how i feel, or say i blame my actions on my disorder. I try to tell the truth and get accused. Many people assume they know how people with bipolar feel and think and they assume they know how it affects those people. but they dont and honestly are incapable of understanding. thats just my opinion, though it has been proven many times over, and then some.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2009, 03:39 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User
Re: How many people look at Bipolar

I had 2 people on a message board for the deaf and hard of hearing accuse me of "playing the sick role" and blaming "everything and everyone for my problems." I have no idea where they got that idea since all I was doing was sharing my experiences with having bipolar. I try not to let people's reactions to my bipolar negatively affect me since they will never understand what I go through until they have the disorder or know someone who does.
Prozac 40mg
Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2009, 10:01 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Kate,

welcome to our little corner of the world, hope you come back.

Everytime I used to get in a bad or agitated mood, my husband would tell my I was going "BiPolar" again. Of course he's now my soon to be Ex-Husband. But he was awfull. When I was in bed with severe depression he would tell me to just get up and get over it, I could feel better if I wanted to.

So, I know what you mean, I don't tell people I have biPolar unless they are family or my bestfriend.

kat

Old 03-30-2009, 10:34 AM   #4
(female)

easyone HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlin09 View Post
Kate,

welcome to our little corner of the world, hope you come back.

Everytime I used to get in a bad or agitated mood, my husband would tell my I was going "BiPolar" again. Of course he's now my soon to be Ex-Husband. But he was awfull. When I was in bed with severe depression he would tell me to just get up and get over it, I could feel better if I wanted to.

So, I know what you mean, I don't tell people I have biPolar unless they are family or my bestfriend.

kat
Hi there everyone,

I have bipolar and it is a pain but there are good times and we do get though it. I am on Lithium and atm an antidepressant to boot! I have had this bloody thing since very young and anyone that wants a chat I am here for you. So many people just don't understand, it not there fault! Take very good care of yourselves. Spoil yourselves, do something really nice for you! Talk to me anytime x

Old 03-30-2009, 11:13 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyone View Post
Hi there everyone,

I have bipolar and it is a pain but there are good times and we do get though it. I am on Lithium and atm an antidepressant to boot! I have had this bloody thing since very young and anyone that wants a chat I am here for you. So many people just don't understand, it not there fault! Take very good care of yourselves. Spoil yourselves, do something really nice for you! Talk to me anytime x
Now that we have the Internet and so many publications about bipolar available to us, there's really no excuse why people aren't better educated in regards to this disorder.

Unfortuantely, people choose not to educate themselves and instead believe stereotypes that we know are not true.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 03-30-2009 at 11:14 AM.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:52 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Llama HB User

Sometimes if I say or act a certain way my mom will ask if I've taken my meds. It's just kind of condescending. Yes, I'm doing much better taking my meds now. Can't she just trust me?

And both of them are constantly just asking me if I've taken my meds. Even though they are the ones who dole them out to me each day. Oh well.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:33 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Llama,

My sister does the same thing. If she thinks I'm rapid cycling, she'll ask if I'm taking my meds. If I'm extremely agitated, she'll ask if I'm taking my meds. If I'm feeling extremely happy, she'll ask if I'm taking my meds. I hate it when she does this because she knows full well that if I don't take my meds, I'm 100x worse than I am when I take them.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 03-30-2009 at 02:34 PM.

Old 03-30-2009, 03:17 PM   #8
(female)

Angelinchat2 HB User

Llama,
My husband and sister are always making remarks like..you shouldn't drive you'll just end up hurting. Husband gives me my meds, seems I can't read the bottle to see how often and how many. He says he just making sure that I am taking them and to make sure I do not take more than I should. I get aggrevated with, it's like a child not his wife.

Oh one more thing that hurts my feelings and then go cry. Say I forgot to wash his favorite jacket. (they have both told me this) " It's ok Jenay..I understand that is what you get a goof check for.) I get so mad I see red then go to bedroom cry..sigh

Hashimotos
IBS/Gerd
Bipolar
PTSD
Panic and Anxiety Attacks
lower back/hip/leg pain being checked

Old 03-30-2009, 03:35 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Angeline,

OMG they actually say that, "Goof Check"?? How absolutely cruel and insensitive. Have you ever looked at them and said, "you two need your monthly "How to be and ***" Check". I wouldn't put up with that for one minute, that is totally uncalled for.

I am so sorry that you have to put up with that type of cruel behaviour.

((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))

kat

Old 03-30-2009, 03:44 PM   #10
(female)

Angelinchat2 HB User

When I have said something to them I get..ahhhh hun you know I was just joking with you. I have told they can joke with me about most any thing but me bipolar is off limits. Then I'll be darn a week or so later they do it again. One day they are gonna say it and I'll snap.
(((((kat)))) thank you for the hug

Hashimotos
IBS/Gerd
Bipolar
PTSD
Panic and Anxiety Attacks
lower back/hip/leg pain being checked

Old 03-30-2009, 03:53 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

Jenay,

I notices you have GERD/IBS. I currently have IBS and used to have GERD pretty severe. I had surgery to fix it as a matter of fact, a Nissan Fundiplication, have you ever thought of having something done to fix it? Mine was so bad I couldn't drink water without acid reflux, and it's been 8 yrs since my surgery and I've not had a bit of heartburn since. Normal acid reflux levels are like 10 and mine were 96.

Just something I thought you might be interested in.

kat

Old 03-30-2009, 05:15 PM   #12
(male)

MaestroStar HB User

I think when are loved ones are asking us if they are taking our meds, its the easiest method of comfort and control they can provide for us. I mean seriously, what are they going to do if we're feeling severely depressed or manic? There's really nothing they can do but just be supportive of our feelings and make sure that we are taking our meds properly. I agree with the lot of you that its an annoying question, but also a necessary one.

Sam

Old 03-30-2009, 06:46 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

I don't agree....I live alone, I take care of myself and my ten year old son, my husband is a deadbeat, who gives not support not 1 penny, he has no right to enquire whether I'm taking my meds or not, it's none of his business. I'm 100% med compliant and have been for the last year and a half, I have a back up plan in place that I activate with my pdoc, so that if I'm severely suicidally depressed someone makes sure I take my meds each day. Nobody needs to go around asking me if I take them. I don't see that as a caring jester, I see it as intrusive.

kat

Old 03-30-2009, 07:05 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaestroStar View Post
I think when are loved ones are asking us if they are taking our meds, its the easiest method of comfort and control they can provide for us. I mean seriously, what are they going to do if we're feeling severely depressed or manic? There's really nothing they can do but just be supportive of our feelings and make sure that we are taking our meds properly. I agree with the lot of you that its an annoying question, but also a necessary one.

Sam
I agree with Kat. It's my business whether or not I take my meds. I'm an adult and don't need to be asked time and time again if I'm taking them. It gets annoying real fast. The ONLY time I will allow my boyfriend or sister to administer meds to me is if I'm manic or severely depressed. More often than not though, I end up going IP if I'm severely depressed.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 03-30-2009 at 07:06 PM.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:30 PM   #15
Inactive
(female)

On another note are our "loved" ones being caring when they say we're "going bipolar on them" each time we get upset, or in another posters case say "I understand that's what you get a goof check for". I think not....loved ones can be pretty pathetic when it comes to being understanding of our BiPolar Disorder and that's just a fact of life.

kat

Closed Thread