It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2009, 09:19 AM   #1
(male)

deand HB User
I wanted to comment on generic Lamictal.

I know someone had posted on here a few months ago about the bad experience that had with it. My wife had tried the generic version as well and it was really bad. She went down the tubes and felt horrible. She had very bad thoughts.

I also spoke with my sister in law and when I told her that story she had also said that her doctor told her never to take the genenric Lamictal.

After my wife went back on regular Lamictal, she started to get back to herself. It was very bad for a while.

Just a thought for people who may experience the same issue and are not sure what could be causing it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2009, 09:35 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User
Re: I wanted to comment on generic Lamictal.

Unfortunaely with all generic drugs they have a 20% give or take error of margin for the active ingredient, so it is very likely that it doesn't work as well. I also did't have much mood control on the generic and had to switch back to brand name. The thing is you have to make sure your pdoc specifically writes the script for Brand Name Only, otherwise the pharmacy will give you generic..

kat

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2009, 12:32 PM   #3
(female)

caitlin122 HB User

This post threas is very good for me to read, as I am currently taking the generic lamictal. I am only on 25mg right now, and have only been on it for a little over 2 weeks, but I am definitely going to bring this up at my next pdoc visit in 2 weeks. When he writes my next rx for lamictal I will definitely keep in mind to have him specify brand name. Thanks everyone!

Old 03-30-2009, 01:48 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Llama HB User

I am not sure if I've noticed a difference between the brand name and the generic. Maybe a little bit but not enough for me to go back on the brand name. Sorry to hear that you guys had a bad experience with it!

Old 03-30-2009, 01:58 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Caitlin,

I would ask your pdoc to give you a starter pack so you don't have to waste your money meds until you get to yoru therapeutic dose. I can't beleive he's not doing it that way already.

kat

Old 03-30-2009, 05:39 PM   #6
(female)

caitlin122 HB User

I'm going to see him next wednesday night, and I will definitely ask him about the starter pack. Thanks Kat!

Closed Thread