It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2009, 02:28 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User
Today's Appointment with New Pdoc

Hi everyone,

I saw my new pdoc today and my appointment went very well.

We discussed the med changes that were made by my old pdoc (adding Fluoxetine and Clonazepam) as well as how effectively I thought both meds were working.

He asked me how I liked Fluoxetine and I said it was working great since I haven't experienced any severe or psychotic depression since December. I also said that while it took some time for me to notice results, I was able to feel positive changes at the beginning of the month.

He also asked me how well Clonazepam was helping to control my rapid cycling and I said as long as I took 2 tablets/day, I was able to avoid cycling. I was a little concerned about how he would feel about me taking Clonazepam, but my pdoc said that if it helps my rapid cycling, I should continue taking it. He also said I was in no danger of becoming addicted as long as I continued taking 1-2 tablets 2-3x/day.

I asked when I should contact him. He advised me that if I'm hearing voices or am feeling manic/severely depressed, I should go IP since I'm already on quite a few meds that all have a pretty high dosage except for Fluoxetine and Clonazepam. He also said that I could always call his office to schedule an earlier appointment as well.

I will be seeing him every 3 months for a med check-up. I feel comfortable with this arrangement since I'm doing well on my current regimen and if I do run into problems, I can always go IP or call for an earlier appointment.

When he asked me why I was no longer seeing my old pdoc, I explained that he (my old pdoc) recommended that I see a different doctor who could address my more intense needs meaning my auditory hallucinations and rapid cycling.

Since I'm doing well, no changes were made to my meds. I'm happy about that because I think that when my moods start to level out (as they are beginning to now), I think I will continue to do well.
Prozac 40mg
Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2009, 05:18 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

typeing HB User
Re: Today's Appointment with New Pdoc

Yay! I'm glad your appointment went so well!
hypothyroid
cortizone deficient

Old 03-30-2009, 05:29 PM   #3
(female)

caitlin122 HB User

I'm happy to hear that your appt went so well. Did your new pdoc have anything to say regarding the dismissal your old pdoc gave you?

Old 03-30-2009, 06:17 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

light the world HB User

I'm glad the new pdoc is working out for you. Its great to hear that you seem to be getting better as well. By the way whats IP.

Meds: Clonazepam 4mg, Seroquel 200mg

Old 03-30-2009, 06:36 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Under, IP means In Patient as in In the Hospital.

Old 03-30-2009, 06:39 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

light the world HB User

Oh I hate being an inpatient at a hospital. They say oh you'll get out soon but no it takes weeks to get out even if you are feeling better.

Meds: Clonazepam 4mg, Seroquel 200mg

Old 03-30-2009, 06:41 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Well not always, apparantly you had a bad experience.

Old 03-30-2009, 06:46 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ben,

When I was IP recently, I was only there for 8 days. The attending pdoc wanted to keep me there longer, but I said no since I wasn't suicidal. Going IP was the best thing I could have done. They were able to tweak my meds and I was able to get the sleep I badly needed.

When I was IP in 2006, I was there for a little over a month. I was severely manic/psychotic and was given high doses of mood stabilizers and antipsychotics. Even though I was hospitalized for quite awhile, the meds I was given did help me feel alot better and I no longer heard any voices.

I'm thankful for all of the times I've gone IP. If it weren't for me going IP, I probably wouldn't be writing this post right now.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 03-30-2009, 06:50 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by caitlin122 View Post
I'm happy to hear that your appt went so well. Did your new pdoc have anything to say regarding the dismissal your old pdoc gave you?
No. When I told him I switched pdocs because my old pdoc recommended I see another doctor who could address my "more intense needs," he said it was completely understandable that I change pdocs.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 03-30-2009 at 06:53 PM.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:25 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Llama HB User

neon, sounds like you have found a pretty good pdoc! He seems knowledgeable from what you have said about him.

I like what he said about going IP too. I am never sure when I need the hospital, except obviously when I'm suicidal. But even then I don't go in a lot of the time. I guess I have to get better at recognizing those sorts of things! But others have helped me realize stuff like that in the past.

Old 03-30-2009, 11:21 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama View Post
neon, sounds like you have found a pretty good pdoc! He seems knowledgeable from what you have said about him.

I like what he said about going IP too. I am never sure when I need the hospital, except obviously when I'm suicidal. But even then I don't go in a lot of the time. I guess I have to get better at recognizing those sorts of things! But others have helped me realize stuff like that in the past.
My new pdoc is wonderful. I could tell when I saw him in December during our first appointment together how committed he was to my treatment. The only reason why I didn't continue seeing him was because my old pdoc's office was closer to my home. As it turns out, I only need to pay $5 more in cab fare, but it's worth it and shouldn't be a problem since I only need to see him every 3 months unless I need to see him sooner.

I've been hospitalized 9 times, so I've become used to recognizing when I need to go IP. The only difficulty I have is when I'm manic since I can't always recognize an episode.

However, my tdoc will point out if I'm manic and I can take steps to deal with it appropriately. I've been hospitalized 3 times for mania while the remaining 6 times were for severe depression or psychotic depression.

Llama, you might want to write down your symptoms of mania and depression and keep this where you can find it easily. I have one on my fridge for when family and friends come over. It says, "Signs That I'm Manic or Depressed" and then lists all of my symptoms. It also includes psychosis so that they can identify when I am drifting in and out of reality or am confused to the point where I am unable to tell what is happening around me.

I give you alot of credit Llama. I know the road hasn't been easy for you, but you've never given up and for that, you are to be commended.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Closed Thread