It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2009, 02:43 PM   #1
(female)

Nicci57 HB User
Very confused...

Hi,

I just figured out with my therapist that I have Bipolar II (rapid cycling) when I thought that I was just dealing with major depression. I also have OCD and have been taking Prozac for both the depression and OCD. It's been wonderful for the OCD and pretty decent for the depression, but I still lack so much motivation that I come in to school late every day no matter how hard I try to make myself get up. I often find myself sleeping 12+ hours and just never feel rested. I've had this problem when I've been off meds and when I also took another med (Lexapro).

Has anyone else had the problem with extreme tiredness?? Or has anyone else had severe OCD with the bipolar and if so... what should you do medicine wise?? I'm wondering if I should be taking medicine more directed towards the bipolar and maybe that will help the extreme exhaustion... but then I'm left with OCD. Help, anyone??

Old 03-30-2009, 03:01 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User
Re: Very confused...

Hi and welcome. With BiPolar taking just an Anti-Depresant without a Mood Stabilizer can make your symptoms much much worse. If your therapist who I'm assuming is a Psychiatrist, diagnosed you with BP, then he/she knows this. I also have pretty bad OCD, but am on Abilify and that controls it quite a bit. Seroquel also tends to help OCD. Cymbalta is an anti-d that makes it much worse so stay away from that one. I can't think of any other meds off the top of my head that affect it one way or the other.

So I would talk to you pdoc about a mood stabilizer especially since all your on is an anti depressant, to help get your moods under control and see if it helps with the OCD.

kat

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2009, 03:09 PM   #3
(female)

Angelinchat2 HB User

I would go back to my therapist and tell him just what you have told us here. I would explain in detail what I feeling.

I hope this helps. Keep us informed please

Hashimotos
IBS/Gerd
Bipolar
PTSD
Panic and Anxiety Attacks
lower back/hip/leg pain being checked

Old 03-30-2009, 04:22 PM   #4
(male)

MaestroStar HB User

When I was first diagnosed with BP and started taking meds (depakote and risperidal) I was tired a lot and drowsy. Now I just sleep like 10 hours a night and am on a normal sleep pattern and seem to get a good amount of rest. I don't know your sleeping habits, but it is recommended that everyone has good sleep habits, like having a good circadian rhythm. Hope this was helpful.

Sam

Old 03-30-2009, 09:30 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Llama HB User

I don't know if taking more bipolar meds will help you with not sleeping so much all the time. I'm on a lot of bipolar meds and I want to sleep all the dang time. I can't help it! I'm just tired all the time.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:45 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User

I'm a rapid cycler myself, but when I started taking meds for my BP (Depakote and Risperdal only), I was extremely tired. I'm now on 5 meds for my bipolar (Depakote, Fluoxetine, Risperdal, Trazodone, Clonazepam) and don't feel exhausted at all. Sometimes it takes awhile to get used to your meds. I found that my sleepiness disappeared within the first 2 weeks of taking my initial dose.
Prozac 40mg
Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Old 03-31-2009, 04:52 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

I'm more on the Suicidally Depressed end of the Spectrum and I take 6 BP meds a day (Lamictal, Abilify, Buspar, Trazadone, Remeron, Topamax) and 3 supplements and I never sleep, I get about 2 hours a night on a good night. Some nights I go with none at all, this has been going on for almost 2 months now.

kat

Old 03-31-2009, 06:25 AM   #8
(female)

Angelinchat2 HB User

I have been on so meds that I can't remember them. I am taking wellbutrin and lamicta; I'm suppose to also take prozac. When I first started taking this combo I slept alot and would sit my chair the rest of time. I wouldn't leave the house it just took so much engery. She then put me on provigil it seem to work that first month, then boom back like I was I just seemed like in fog and couldn't even think straight...well several weeks ago I was sleeping like 16 - 18 hours a day and for 3 days I didn't take lamictal or prozac. On 4th day I woke up feeling good, my brain was starting to again. I now back on lamictal but not on prozac. I think it was causing me to sleep so much and not care about anything.

You might want talk to your pdoc and don't do like me .....lol
NEVER EVER just stop taking your meds talk to pdoc first.

Hashimotos
IBS/Gerd
Bipolar
PTSD
Panic and Anxiety Attacks
lower back/hip/leg pain being checked

Closed Thread