It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2009, 10:16 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Llama HB User
Question Does anyone else have an anxiety disorder along with the bipolar?

I do. I get so bad anxiety I can't stand it sometimes. I can't stand it a lot of the time and I take lorazepam (ativan) three times a day. I take 0.5 mg in the morning and afternoon, and 1mg at bedtime. It definitely helps but I'm still anxious a lot.

Maybe some of you wise folks will have some anxiety tips to share that could help us all?

I know lying down helps me. Or listening to music. Or exercising. But I don't always feel like doing those things and sometimes I just dwell on the feeling. Yikes!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-01-2009, 10:22 PM   #2
(female)

caitlin122 HB User
Re: Does anyone else have an anxiety disorder along with the bipolar?

I get anxious a lot too. Especially when I am having problems in life...like being laid off and having no money...or social situations make me very anxious as well. I am a very big fan of meditating to relax and try and calm myself down. Anything that is relaxing, such as deep breathing can help too. When ever I have a panic attack, which is rare these days, but still does happen to me, I take a xanax, which I also take everynight to sleep. Anxiety is one of the worse feelings in the world, because you feel this overwhelming dread like something really bad is going to happen, and like your going to die. It sucks when it's an attack that way.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-01-2009, 10:26 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Llama HB User

caitlin I get really anxious in social situations too. I was thinking about trying a support group because of a post on this board, but I am not sure if I could handle it.

Old 04-01-2009, 10:47 PM   #4
(female)

caitlin122 HB User

That's exactly what I was thinking. Dreams went to one and had a wonderful experience. I'm afraid of cold and uncaring people, or just feeling uncomfortable myself. Sometimes my social anxiety gets so bad, I won't leave the house for as long as I don't have to. I always get nervous when I go to the mall especially. That always makes me so nervous, I don't know why. It must be because the amount of people, and I hate walking on the second floor because you feel the floor shake when people walk by, and I get afraid it will fall down. I know...silly and unrealistic, but all the same one of many of my stupid fears.

Old 04-01-2009, 10:56 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

light the world HB User

I have a social anxiety disorder along with symptoms of a mood disorder. I actually just convinced my parents to help me start up CBT sessions again. Hopefully for me it will go better this time. I take ativan as well to help with the anxiety. But it only helps to a certain extent. Also I find drinking things with caffeine can bring on more anxiety so its best to avoid that as much as possible. Try and clear your mind of what is stessing you out if you can as well. I hope some of these tips help.

Meds: Clonazepam 4mg, Seroquel 200mg

Old 04-02-2009, 12:51 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

When are you going to start CBT?

Old 04-02-2009, 06:53 AM   #7
(female)

Angelinchat2 HB User

Well Llama as you know from my other post I can't help ya there :-(. I had thought that I set my mind on super cleaning the house I would fix two problems...anxiety by staying busy( no time to think..yeah right) also thought it would make me so tired that I would just fall in and sleep sleep...fat chance. All that did was make my body tired did nothing for the racing thoughts

Only good thing that come out of that is my closets are cleaned out...I didn't realize just how much junk we had ...lol

Hashimotos
IBS/Gerd
Bipolar
PTSD
Panic and Anxiety Attacks
lower back/hip/leg pain being checked

Old 04-02-2009, 04:04 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Llama,

I have severe Anxiety along with my bipolar. I was on Klonopin for it, but then my pdoc took me off of it because I was having to take to much of it to control the anxiety and he put me on a strict anxiety med, Buspar. It's worked like a charm for the most part. I take 45mg a day divided into 2 doses, it have vitutally no side effects whatsoever. And it controls the anxiety about 90%. But there is room to increase if need be.

As of today my pdoc added Klonopin back to my med regimen but more for sleep and nighttime anxiety more than anything.

good luck,

kat

Old 04-02-2009, 09:21 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

light the world HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlin09 View Post
When are you going to start CBT?
In two weeks. Just talked to the nurse about it and she reffered me to some tdocs that specialize with anxiety. I'm also getting an earlier appointment with my pdoc that will bein a week from today which is better than having it on April 22.

Meds: Clonazepam 4mg, Seroquel 200mg

Old 04-02-2009, 11:21 PM   #10
(male)

HOPEFORALL HB User

hi guys im new on this site and from the UK.. you get far better treatment in the states i think when it comes to BP.. i lived in CA for 4 years and got diagnosed there in the UK we just get locked up and injected with haldol (thats nasty stuff) now my main med is depakote, effexor etc.. but as far as anxiety disorder alongside bp goes ive researched this for years now and they do seem to go hand in hand with each other.. its bad for me as i have a stressful job in advertising and music on the creative side if you get my drift but i find if i work work work i dont get time to suffer from my illness ..

this seems like a great site.. just the sort of site ive been looking for infact.. im a firm believer that if we all share our problems and help each other when we can maybe we can help improve each others lives in the process as BP etc.. is far to much for a person to suffer from alone.. dont you think?

please feel free to contact me anytime..

g (HOPE 4 ALL)

Old 04-03-2009, 01:20 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

irishwriter HB User
Thumbs up Re: Does anyone else have an anxiety disorder along with the bipolar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama View Post
I do. I get so bad anxiety I can't stand it sometimes. I can't stand it a lot of the time and I take lorazepam (ativan) three times a day. I take 0.5 mg in the morning and afternoon, and 1mg at bedtime. It definitely helps but I'm still anxious a lot.

Maybe some of you wise folks will have some anxiety tips to share that could help us all?

llama

Don't know about wise!! I take xanax and klonopin for anxiety (pdoc reckons xanax boosts the klonopin) and find them really good. i need to remember to take them on time though because sometimes the anxiety is at a ridiculous level before i take them and then it takes longer to work. have just started ltryptophan to increase seratonin levels and it is supposed to be calming as well. only started yesterday so don't know yet. am also on lamictal and thyroxine. i stopped lexapro because i didn't think it helped in any way. also had to stop abilify because of awful side effects. listening to mozart on mp3 player helps with relaxing to sleep and also sometimes to divert from sh. (pdoc suggested this). i had tried all the usual things to stop sh and none of them worked. the cd that comes with 'the mindful way through depression' book is also helpful with reducing anxiety. hope some of this helps.

thinking of you.

iw.

I know lying down helps me. Or listening to music. Or exercising. But I don't always feel like doing those things and sometimes I just dwell on the feeling. Yikes!

Last edited by irishwriter; 04-03-2009 at 01:21 AM.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:01 AM   #12
(female)

caitlin122 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOPEFORALL View Post
hi guys im new on this site and from the UK.. you get far better treatment in the states i think when it comes to BP.. i lived in CA for 4 years and got diagnosed there in the UK we just get locked up and injected with haldol (thats nasty stuff) now my main med is depakote, effexor etc.. but as far as anxiety disorder alongside bp goes ive researched this for years now and they do seem to go hand in hand with each other.. its bad for me as i have a stressful job in advertising and music on the creative side if you get my drift but i find if i work work work i dont get time to suffer from my illness ..

this seems like a great site.. just the sort of site ive been looking for infact.. im a firm believer that if we all share our problems and help each other when we can maybe we can help improve each others lives in the process as BP etc.. is far to much for a person to suffer from alone.. dont you think?

please feel free to contact me anytime..

g (HOPE 4 ALL)
Hope,
This forum has been a blessing to me. I joined at the end of march, and I can't tell you what a difference this has made in my life. Everyone here is extremely supportive and helpful. I think you'll find the same thing here. Are you currently living in the UK, or do you live in CA now?

Closed Thread