It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2009, 12:14 PM   #1
(female)

bluegreensky HB User
New...need advice, let off steam, be there for others...

hi all, this is a first for me, and i dont know why i've never thought of this, guess sometimes you need to be pushed past the point of being desperate...all the same, i'm glad that this is where i've ended up. it really is very comforting to see that i'm not alone in this, i don't have a support system and never really bothered to understand my illness properly as i haven't been severely affected until now, hard to believe that it's been years since my last episode, and i think i've matured somewhat which is why this time is different for me...i apologize if this post is a little incoherent, having some difficulty concentrating...i read about kaitlin earlier...i'm kind of in he same boat...currently having a mixed episode, have been struggling with it since dec 08 and frankly i don't know which way anymore...i'm in south africa and the only medication that doctors here seem to believe in is serequel (quetiapine)...i would like to know what other up to date medication is being used for bipolar disorder, specifically mixed episodes...i'm having great difficulty sleeping, racing thoughts the one moment, braindead the next, hungry but don't feel like eating, tired but can't sleep, agitated, anxious at times, depressed but on top of the world, really crazy emotions all at the same time, crying my heart out while at the same time telling my therapist that i'm feeling on top of the world! please if anyone has some advice or information on medication i'd eally appreciate it...thanks guys...claudette

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-02-2009, 03:27 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User
Re: New...need advice, let off steam, be there for others...

Hi Claudette,

sorry that everything is so jumbled in your life right now. I'm not really in a mixed state as I don't really have those, I prettey much stay depressed all the time, different variations of being depressed but pretty much depressed,every once in a while I'll get to a stable lever for a bit. And then when I have major med changes I tend to get manic for a bit, which I hate, but such is life. You've asked about meds gosh there are so many. I can tell you what my cocktail consists of as of today: Lamictal 300mg, Abilibfy 10mg, Buspar 45mg, Trazadone 300mg, Wellbutrin SR 200mg, Klonpin 1.5mg, Topamax 100mg, Vitamin D, and Biotin. It's alot of meds but I have BiPolar with Severe Med Resistant Suicidal Depression. Depending on whether you tend to be more depressed or more manic there are many meds besides Seroquel that can help you. So why don't you give us a bit more info. as to where you normally land on the BP scale and maybe some of us can let you know what meds we take and what works for us.

Welcome to the Board and keep letting us know how you're doing, okay?

kat

Old 04-02-2009, 05:58 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User

Welcome!

There are quite a few meds that are used to treat mixed episodes. I'm on 1500mg Depakote, 20mg Fluoxetine, 6mg/day Risperdal, 100mg or 300mg PRN Trazodone and .5mg Clonazepam. This med regimen seems to work great for me.

If you could describe some of your bipolar symptoms such as whether you experience more mania than depression or vice-versa, perhaps we can help give you some ideas as to which meds might help.
Prozac 40mg
Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Old 04-02-2009, 08:28 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

light the world HB User

Another med that some people use to treat these state would be lithium carbonate. I take 300mg.

Meds: Clonazepam 4mg, Seroquel 200mg

Old 04-02-2009, 08:47 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by under View Post
Another med that some people use to treat these state would be lithium carbonate. I take 300mg.
From what I've read and what my old pdoc told me, Lithium is not recommended for treating mixed states since they generally do not respond well to this med. Anticonvulsants like Depakote and Lamictal are usually the first line of meds that are used to treat these kinds of episodes.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 04-02-2009 at 08:48 PM.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:52 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

light the world HB User

Well I use lithium only to control my depressed states and my manic state

Old 04-02-2009, 08:56 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Well I use lithium only to control my depressed states and my manic state
Having separate manic and depressive episodes is different from having a mixed episode. Mixed episodes consist of manic and depressive symptoms that take place at the same time.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 04-02-2009 at 09:39 PM.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:58 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

The OP might want to do an Internet search for more information about mixed states. To find meds that are used to address mixed states, do a search for "mixed states + medication" or "mixed episodes + medication."
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 04-02-2009 at 09:39 PM.

Old 04-03-2009, 06:54 AM   #9
(female)

bluegreensky HB User

Thanks to everyone that replied i was diagnosed with bipolar II in 1997 but from what i understand mixed episodes are more common in bipolar I..?.. so i'm seeing a professor who specializes in bipolar disorder on the 9 april to figure out where i'm at now...i had a few major circumstantial changes in my life in dec 08 that seems to have completely upset the applecart now i'm stuck in this mixed episode and i feel my doc is not experienced enough in this particular illness...thats the other thing, i recently changed psychiatrists (is that who you guys refer to as pdoc? and psychologist is tdoc?..) because my previous doc wasn't keen on prescribing too many diff meds at same time...so i ended up in hospital with suicidal tendencies after going back to him week after week and pleading for change..i then started seeing a psychologist, who refered me to this psychiatrist whom she works with very closely...i printed some info on meds for bipolar and took it with to our last meeting and she just told me those are all older 'outdated' meds and all she did was increase 400mg serequel to 600mg per day all at night while my lamotrigine is still on 200mg per day..and thats all i'm on at the moment...i keep asking her to give me something that will work kinda quickly and numb my emotions, just temporarily until i'm through this, but she claims there is nothing out there that can do that..?..she even shot down depakote...i don;t have family that supports me and my best friend of 18yrs emigrated to australia in jan 09..she was my only support, i don't trust easily and i'm a very private person...i enquired about a support group, which i will be joining on coming tuesday...can't remember what other info you guys mentioned would help..? oh my therapist said i should look up on net about bipolar patients changing doctors all the time, but i can't find anything..is this true?

Old 04-03-2009, 12:15 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

light the world HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams in neon View Post
Having separate manic and depressive episodes is different from having a mixed episode. Mixed episodes consist of manic and depressive symptoms that take place at the same time.
Thanks for the info, sorry I never knew that about lithium.

Old 04-03-2009, 01:39 PM   #11
(female)

Angelinchat2 HB User

Blue,
I am sorry you do not have any support but I am sure you will lots of it here. These folks here are the best I have found. I am sure you will come to love it here as well.

I have had problems since I was in early teens but no one ever said just what wrong with other than depression until about year half ago when I went suicidal and ended up in hospital. That is when they told me I wasn't just in a depression ...that I was bipolar. The hooked me up with a pdoc and tpoc here. They are the only ones I have seen.

I am glad that you are going to get a second opinion on the med thing...doesn't sound like this person knows very much about the different types of medication they now.

Let us know on the 9th what they said...

Hashimotos
IBS/Gerd
Bipolar
PTSD
Panic and Anxiety Attacks
lower back/hip/leg pain being checked

Old 04-03-2009, 07:58 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Quote:
How are you sure your beign treated for mixed states when you don't even have a diagnosis yet? has your pdoc said you have mixed states?

Old 04-03-2009, 09:20 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

light the world HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlin09 View Post
How are you sure your beign treated for mixed states when you don't even have a diagnosis yet? has your pdoc said you have mixed states?
No I have never said that I had mixed states Kat. I never knew that lithium wasn't good for people with mixed states. The lithium fo me is to treat my manic and my depressive states from coming back. I just assumed that people could be treated with any mood stabilizer and could be treated with that to treat any state. But I was wrong.

Last edited by light the world; 04-03-2009 at 09:31 PM.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:00 PM   #14
(female)

caitlin122 HB User

Under,
Just so you are clear, any mood stabilzer doesn't completely get rid of episodes. It only lessens the amount of how many you have and the severity of them. Just thought I'd add that into this conversation so you dont' get hopes up that you will never experience any more symptoms. Always keep in mind, these meds are not used to cure us, only to make our lives managable and lessen what we experience. How long have you been on Lithium? I'm just curious because I had a very bad experience with Lithium. Of course I'm not saying you will, as every med reacts differently with each person, as all of our chemitries are different. I have heard Lithium works very well for many...just not me. Do you have any side effects from the Lithium?

Old 04-04-2009, 12:40 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by caitlin122 View Post
Under,
Just so you are clear, any mood stabilzer doesn't completely get rid of episodes. It only lessens the amount of how many you have and the severity of them. Just thought I'd add that into this conversation so you dont' get hopes up that you will never experience any more symptoms. Always keep in mind, these meds are not used to cure us, only to make our lives managable and lessen what we experience. How long have you been on Lithium? I'm just curious because I had a very bad experience with Lithium. Of course I'm not saying you will, as every med reacts differently with each person, as all of our chemitries are different. I have heard Lithium works very well for many...just not me. Do you have any side effects from the Lithium?
Good post, caitlin.

My tdoc always told me that BP meds are designed to reduce our symptoms, but they don't eliminate them completely. This may be the case for some people, but it isn't true for the majority of us. It certainly isn't for me.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 04-04-2009 at 12:41 AM.

Closed Thread