It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2009, 04:32 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

pucca_chick HB User
Lightbulb Question about stimulants????

I have suffered from depression for almost 7 years my first episode being severe and hitting me in my early teens. It lasted for months and kept coming back every few months, when i wasnt severly depressed i was mildly depressed inbetween. This went on for years until i finally seen a dr. I have tried 2 anti depressants and been unresponsive to both. Ive had years of therapy also with little improvement, it has always been the way that my moods change all over the place and i can never get organized or make progress.It has been a long process with virtually no improvements.

I was recently diagnosed with ADHD which made a lot of sense from my childhood. I was a very anxious child and reacted to things easily,i lost my temper at the drop of a hat and began crying over the slightest sign of rejection and all that. school was a nightmare and i didnt really speak, i couldnt make freinds and was very socially awkward. My temper tantrums were insane, i threw furnature and toys, kicked the walls, hit my parents and banged my head of things sometimes, i remember once i tried to jump straight through the front door(while it was closed) to get out when i was grounded,i screamed and rolled about the floor and all the rest until i lost my voice or almost vomited. i was not spilt though and my parents were not soft with me, it was just i was explosive, but my sister is so calm and docile somehow.

In the last few years my moods have cycled throughout the day. I would go down and down and then up slightly or all over the place, but mostly ive been in depression for as long as i can remember, then id take a major dip every few months. I keep to myself a lot but im generally quite bouncy with people. talking too fast(i always have when i do speak), im generaly easy to get on with mostly i just wind people up but in playful way. Although i do have a temper and when i lose it i just lose the plot in a few seconds.I dont pay attention well, im forgetful and all the rest. I havent really been able to have a life for years because of my moods, they took over my life and i couldnt plan for anyting because i didnt know what mood id be in. This would go on and on and then id feel a severe depression looming and try to prepare. these episodes lasted a week or two compared to the months i used to have, but they were just as bad and i would be paralsyed with dispair, thinking suicidal thoughts, i have harmed for almost 7 years also and in these periods id lie in bed with a blade just. i didnt come out of my room, i didnt wash or change my clothes, i did nothing. This usually followed after a random sort of high feeling. Not manic by any strecth but a strange usdden burst of positivity that came out of nowehere.

Last time was a few months ago when i just awoke one morning and felt happy i thought, i had more energy. I was efficient in getting ready, i caught up on all my things id slacked at and i joined the guym. for that week it lasted i was at a class every night in the gym, i didnt feel tired like i usually am, im usually overhwlemed with fatague.But i could do stuff and go shopping, i met people and stuff. But it vanished one morning again when i woke up.

Now im on a stimulant for ADHD and and anti depressant. Its only been a week but already my moods have stopped. I have always had a slight curiousity if i have some form of bipolar or if i am 'bipolar in waiting' if you get me, it is just i dont seem to fit the normal depression idea and things just seem to unpredictable. Mental health issues run in my family unfortunatley. there is a lot of alcoholism in my moms side, depression and gambling. My Unlce is now in what appears to be a manic episode and doing all the crazy things on the criterea like affairs, spending spress, iritable, hes been taking off and disappearing around the world and wasting all the cash, he keeps disappearing and ive never seen a dress sense like it, his eyes do not look like he is rationale and he jumps from one thing to the other and isnt speaking right. he seems aggrivated like everyone else is going too slow for him and it makes him snap. On my fathers side there was a lot of extreme behaviour in the family a bit farther back. there is now a lot of depression, a bit of OCD, theres autism and my grandfather was hospitalized for almost a decade with some form of mood disorder, whatever it was it seemed to go beyond typical depression and some of the stuff she did then seems to match what my uncle appears to be doing.

What im wondering is, if this has all been ADHD? My moods have almost stopped and im not racing nymore. I hope my moods stay like this but i can never tell. I was also being diagnosed with BPD but i dont feel i fit all the criterea. I just find it strange that something has stopped my moods and im no longer depressed right now, to me it proves that there is something chemical to it. I heard that stimulants can trigger a manic episode. But i also read somewhere that in milder bipolar types like bipolar 2 it can help the depression and smooth people out. I just wonder because a lot of my family and behaviour is suspicious ,also so has been my own mood history.

i cant find info in many places and would really really appreciate some help and opinions on this please. thanks
are my own
But theyre not yours,
they are my own
And i am never broken

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2009, 02:50 PM   #2
(female)

armyofone0508 HB User
Re: Question about stimulants????

....to be honest, it all does sound like bipolar. my sister has it and when it's one of her off days, whoa. about the adhd.....did you know that alot of people are mistakingly diagnosed with adhd but really have bipolar disorder? that may be in your case.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:20 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User

Hi,

I guess time will tell for you. Some bp people find great relief from lethargy and depression with stimulants, too.
It's also possible to have several disorders at once (lucky us!) so you may be dealing with both of them.
My take on meds is that if I find something that works, take it, and don't worry too much about the diagnosis. I am glad to hear you have found something that stops the mood swings, and I hope it lasts.
Keep in touch here,

Seaturtle

Old 04-07-2009, 08:23 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

it sounds like you should go to a pdoc and get a 2nd opinion I have BP and my son is ADD and we are 2 totally different people. I would go and get evaluated for BiPolar if you thing that is what you have primarily because the meds that you are on are not goog for someone with BiPolar.

kat

Old 04-10-2009, 05:20 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

pucca_chick HB User

thanks guys. im just seeing how i go. i do find massive releif from lethargy and depression with these meds, i have been able to cope with extreme stress in recent days.

I am afraid to suggest bipolar to my docs incase they think im a hypocondriac. i am just concerned as i have a close relative who has just been sectioned for bipolar.

My family has a large history on both sides of mental illness and i would just like to be more aware of my problems and what is possible so i could avoid what happened to my relative, to me learning to recognise is the best method of preventiing anything geting like that.

I am just slightly uneasy as i have a somewhat similar personaility to this relative and we have both been in treatment for a long time. Being able to see the outcome with him made me pay closer attention to myself and look ahead and at me now. i may talk with my doctors about this and just ask what the liklihood is that i could end up with the same problems.

thanks, xx
are my own
But theyre not yours,
they are my own
And i am never broken

Old 04-10-2009, 08:31 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User

Hello,

Well, the fact that your moods have stopped with the stimulant would say to me that the attention disorder is being treated and if this does it, I wouldn't worry about bipolar. I would give it some time, then if you do develop mania or other bp symptoms on it, broach that subject to the doctors.

I've no idea is this is good advice, it's just my thinking, especially with the fear of being sectioned.

Can they section you for just being diagnosed with a mental illness? I'd think you would have to have extreme symptoms.

And perhaps a second opinion is a good idea, too.

Are you still feeling good on the stimulant?

Old 04-10-2009, 11:42 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

irishwriter HB User
Smile Re: Question about stimulants????

Quote:
Originally Posted by pucca_chick View Post
I have suffered from depression for almost 7 years my first episode being severe and hitting me in my early teens. It lasted for months and kept coming back every few months, when i wasnt severly depressed i was mildly depressed inbetween. This went on for years until i finally seen a dr. I have tried 2 anti depressants and been unresponsive to both. Ive had years of therapy also with little improvement, it has always been the way that my moods change all over the place and i can never get organized or make progress.It has been a long process with virtually no improvements.

I was recently diagnosed with ADHD which made a lot of sense from my childhood. I was a very anxious child and reacted to things easily,i lost my temper at the drop of a hat and began crying over the slightest sign of rejection and all that. school was a nightmare and i didnt really speak, i couldnt make freinds and was very socially awkward. My temper tantrums were insane, i threw furnature and toys, kicked the walls, hit my parents and banged my head of things sometimes, i remember once i tried to jump straight through the front door(while it was closed) to get out when i was grounded,i screamed and rolled about the floor and all the rest until i lost my voice or almost vomited. i was not spilt though and my parents were not soft with me, it was just i was explosive, but my sister is so calm and docile somehow.

In the last few years my moods have cycled throughout the day. I would go down and down and then up slightly or all over the place, but mostly ive been in depression for as long as i can remember, then id take a major dip every few months. I keep to myself a lot but im generally quite bouncy with people. talking too fast(i always have when i do speak), im generaly easy to get on with mostly i just wind people up but in playful way. Although i do have a temper and when i lose it i just lose the plot in a few seconds.I dont pay attention well, im forgetful and all the rest. I havent really been able to have a life for years because of my moods, they took over my life and i couldnt plan for anyting because i didnt know what mood id be in. This would go on and on and then id feel a severe depression looming and try to prepare. these episodes lasted a week or two compared to the months i used to have, but they were just as bad and i would be paralsyed with dispair, thinking suicidal thoughts, i have harmed for almost 7 years also and in these periods id lie in bed with a blade just. i didnt come out of my room, i didnt wash or change my clothes, i did nothing. This usually followed after a random sort of high feeling. Not manic by any strecth but a strange usdden burst of positivity that came out of nowehere.

Last time was a few months ago when i just awoke one morning and felt happy i thought, i had more energy. I was efficient in getting ready, i caught up on all my things id slacked at and i joined the guym. for that week it lasted i was at a class every night in the gym, i didnt feel tired like i usually am, im usually overhwlemed with fatague.But i could do stuff and go shopping, i met people and stuff. But it vanished one morning again when i woke up.

Now im on a stimulant for ADHD and and anti depressant. Its only been a week but already my moods have stopped. I have always had a slight curiousity if i have some form of bipolar or if i am 'bipolar in waiting' if you get me, it is just i dont seem to fit the normal depression idea and things just seem to unpredictable. Mental health issues run in my family unfortunatley. there is a lot of alcoholism in my moms side, depression and gambling. My Unlce is now in what appears to be a manic episode and doing all the crazy things on the criterea like affairs, spending spress, iritable, hes been taking off and disappearing around the world and wasting all the cash, he keeps disappearing and ive never seen a dress sense like it, his eyes do not look like he is rationale and he jumps from one thing to the other and isnt speaking right. he seems aggrivated like everyone else is going too slow for him and it makes him snap. On my fathers side there was a lot of extreme behaviour in the family a bit farther back. there is now a lot of depression, a bit of OCD, theres autism and my grandfather was hospitalized for almost a decade with some form of mood disorder, whatever it was it seemed to go beyond typical depression and some of the stuff she did then seems to match what my uncle appears to be doing.

What im wondering is, if this has all been ADHD? My moods have almost stopped and im not racing nymore. I hope my moods stay like this but i can never tell. I was also being diagnosed with BPD but i dont feel i fit all the criterea. I just find it strange that something has stopped my moods and im no longer depressed right now, to me it proves that there is something chemical to it. I heard that stimulants can trigger a manic episode. But i also read somewhere that in milder bipolar types like bipolar 2 it can help the depression and smooth people out. I just wonder because a lot of my family and behaviour is suspicious ,also so has been my own mood history.

i cant find info in many places and would really really appreciate some help and opinions on this please. thanks

Hi Pucca,

there is a strong family history with me also with various types of depression from bp to mild depression to major depression. there is an excellent book called 'the family silver' you may be able to get it online where a woman traces depression in her family back through generations. my sister was dxd with major depression after she had been (and sometimes still is) through what you have (except for the cutting) and was also rxd ritalin, wellbutrin and cipramil which is a combo which seems to work for her. it sounds like the meds are working for you which is a good thing but do keep in touch with pdoc if there are any changes. i have a brother with bp who will not take meds after one try and like your uncle he constantly disappears and is always coming up with insane schemes which lose him a lot of money each time, sends vitriolic emails to the family and generally is out of control.. there are lots of family members who are undiagnosed bps and undiagnosed with depression which i find sad as their quality of life might improve if they dealt with it. (in most cases it does eventually, i'm just one of the ones who is v. med resistant and in twenty five to thirty years haven't found meds that work for me.) i have had about five years of remission at various stages during that time (when i was manic though a lot of the time but didn't realise it). the name of the disease doesn't really matter so long as the treatment works and we recognise that it is a diffiult disease to deal with in any of it's forms.

good luck with your treatment and let us know how you get on. will have you in my thoughts.

iw

Last edited by irishwriter; 04-11-2009 at 11:53 PM.

Old 04-11-2009, 04:09 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

pucca_chick HB User

thats what im trying to stick to, just with whatever works right now, it is just since seeing the sheer horror of what went on with my uncle it is difficult to not be cautious and feel slightly suspicious.

My moods are still ok. the first week i was calm, the second i suddenly was shot out of the happy cannon one fine morning, but im just buzzing, happy and positive, im not sleeping though whereas the week before i slept like a log. the meds are immediate release so i was just concerned as to how they changed in their effect so quickly, i wondered if in fact my brain chemistry had changed and therefore the meds gave a different effect suddenly, if they were now working in a way based on i had a higher dopamine level than the week before. it got me a bit cautious that something chemical was up just. i dont know, my doc looked at me strangley last time, she didnt appear as excited as i was that suddenly the meds made me happy, but i may have just annoyed her as i talked in a constant stream and fast, but id only taken the meds about an hour ago, my mouth became dry and frothy. but shed have called me back in for the next week if something was wrong i suppose.

I thinks its just because ive lived to always expect and be prepared for the worst, ive arranged my whole life for such a long time around my moods and never really been able to just take the time to appraciate life since im always having to question what im feeling and where im headed next. ill just keep it in mind to pay attention to any changes

thanks for your help guys, ill keep in touch . xx
are my own
But theyre not yours,
they are my own
And i am never broken

Old 04-11-2009, 07:56 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User

Hi,

I wanted to add a positive note here - you *are* getting help.And working on the illness - these are big pluses. Have patience (do we have a choice as to that, lol)?

Also wanted to ask you if your uncle is on meds and in treatment.

I am glad you are finding support here. It certainly abounds on this board, and has seen me through some hard times.

Seaturtle

Old 04-11-2009, 11:58 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

irishwriter HB User
Thumbs up Re: Question about stimulants????

Quote:
Originally Posted by pucca_chick View Post
thats what im trying to stick to, just with whatever works right now, it is just since seeing the sheer horror of what went on with my uncle it is difficult to not be cautious and feel slightly suspicious.

My moods are still ok. the first week i was calm, the second i suddenly was shot out of the happy cannon one fine morning, but im just buzzing, happy and positive, im not sleeping though whereas the week before i slept like a log. the meds are immediate release so i was just concerned as to how they changed in their effect so quickly, i wondered if in fact my brain chemistry had changed and therefore the meds gave a different effect suddenly, if they were now working in a way based on i had a higher dopamine level than the week before. it got me a bit cautious that something chemical was up just. i dont know, my doc looked at me strangley last time, she didnt appear as excited as i was that suddenly the meds made me happy, but i may have just annoyed her as i talked in a constant stream and fast, but id only taken the meds about an hour ago, my mouth became dry and frothy. but shed have called me back in for the next week if something was wrong i suppose.

I thinks its just because ive lived to always expect and be prepared for the worst, ive arranged my whole life for such a long time around my moods and never really been able to just take the time to appraciate life since im always having to question what im feeling and where im headed next. ill just keep it in mind to pay attention to any changes

thanks for your help guys, ill keep in touch . xx
Hi again,

you do sound so positive now that maybe it is the med combo that will work for you. do you see a pdoc? (psychiatrist) or therapist? dry mouth is awful but usally clears up after a couple of weeks. i always carry water with me when i have this side effect as it sometimes becomes impossible to speak to people. you are right, your dopamine levels may have been boosted depending on which anti d you're on, some of them work on the dopamine receptors and some on the noradrenalin and seratonin. glad they seem to be helping though. sounds good to have a break from the cycling back and forth. take care

iw.

Old 04-12-2009, 12:01 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

irishwriter HB User

btw. 'the mindful way through depression' also available online is an excellent book for counteracting the negaive thoughts without being too 'in your face'! a negative outlook is unfortunately part and parcel of the disease. i find this difficult as am a natural optimist when 'normal'.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:43 PM   #12
(female)

evangeline11 HB User

What medications are you on if you dont mind my asking? I'm really trying to get a grasp on the different types of meds and what they do. I know they effect everyone differently, but Im just trying to determine all the options since no combinations have worked long term.

Old 04-15-2009, 01:45 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User

I know this question wasn't directed at me, but I wanted to share my experiences.

I take 1500mg Depakote, 20mg Fluoxetine, 6mg/day Risperdal, 100mg or 300mg PRN Trazodone and .5mg Clonazepam (1-2 tablets 2-3x/day).

Ever since I was switched to this regimen, I've been doing very, very well. I haven't had any problems with rapid cycling, depession, mania or hypomania.

It has taken me 1.5 years to reach some degree of stability, but finding a new pdoc (due to my previous pdoc failing to treat my rapid cycling and mania) really paid off in the long run.

It may take you awhile to find the right med combo, but once you do, the wait will definitely be worth it.
Prozac 40mg
Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Closed Thread