It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2009, 01:14 PM   #1
(male)

BPguy HB User
Tired of taking my meds.

I was diagnosed bipolar II about 9 months ago. I had two shrinks w/in that time. Both agreed with that diagnosis but I've never been completely convinced. I'm on seroquel, depokote, and topomax. I used to be a very sharp, bright person. Yes I would get depressed sometimes and other times I would get really anxious, and get panic attacks, but now I barely feel anything and I'm totally brain dead. I feel like an idiot all the time and I'm always tired. I talked to my psychiatrist about lowering the doses but she always says I'm already on low doses. I react very strongly to any drug. Anyone hear of any natural remedies to bipolar II or any other drugs that don't cause cognative dulling? I'm really thinking of just droping these drugs all together. I want to be myself again.

Old 04-03-2009, 01:47 PM   #2
(female)

Angelinchat2 HB User
Re: Tired of taking my meds.

I can understand what your saying. Several weeks ago tried coming off my medication because of that very reason. I was taking 400mg lamictal, 150mg wellbrutin xl and 60mg of prozac. I stayed on the wellbrutin but left the others off. I felt sooooooo good and could think again within two days. But about a week later one night I had bad spams all over my body and was dizzy...I took my lamictal after finding out that I shouldn't just come off that much so fast. Sure enough by second day I was feeling better no spasm no dizzy. Butttttt I had also went into manic state...no sleeping. I ended back on 20mgs of prozac.Then just yesterday I had what my pdoc says was a pychotic manic episode. So now I am taking zyprexa...lol

Short story don't just come off them...tell them what you are feeling and how upsetting to you this is. See if they can change the combo so you will feel again and not seem like a dense fog state.

Hashimotos
IBS/Gerd
Bipolar
PTSD
Panic and Anxiety Attacks
lower back/hip/leg pain being checked

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2009, 02:02 PM   #3
(female)

bluegreensky HB User

hey, i know exactly how you feel at the moment and believe me when i say that i'm not the only one...it's very frustrating indeed when you are highly functional and now you are turned into this slojo..ofcourse you are gonna come to a stage where you feel better and then decide that you can cope without meds, we've all been there, and thats why you need to know that it is a classic symptom of bipolar..have you heard of a book called 'an unquiet mind' by kay redfield jamison? it's a very good read for someone in your state of mind, teaches a bit about accepting the 'meds for life' issue via her lifestory..i've had bp for 12 years now and still feel at times that it's just mind over matter..but trust me, i always learn the hard way that it is very much biological...and to tell you the truth, you will probably one day reach a stage where you will beg your doc for some mind numbing meds...read the book if you can..thinking of you..and remember you are not alone...

Old 04-03-2009, 02:46 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Depakote did the same thing to me the 2 times that I was put on it. I am currently on Lamictal, Abilify, Trazadone, Buspar, Wellbutrin SR, Topamax, Klonopin, and Vitamin D and Biotin and don't have the zombie feelings. But I am on the Severely Depressed end of the BP spectrum not the manic end.

kat

Old 04-03-2009, 07:42 PM   #5
(female)

caitlin122 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPguy View Post
I was diagnosed bipolar II about 9 months ago. I had two shrinks w/in that time. Both agreed with that diagnosis but I've never been completely convinced. I'm on seroquel, depokote, and topomax. I used to be a very sharp, bright person. Yes I would get depressed sometimes and other times I would get really anxious, and get panic attacks, but now I barely feel anything and I'm totally brain dead. I feel like an idiot all the time and I'm always tired. I talked to my psychiatrist about lowering the doses but she always says I'm already on low doses. I react very strongly to any drug. Anyone hear of any natural remedies to bipolar II or any other drugs that don't cause cognative dulling? I'm really thinking of just droping these drugs all together. I want to be myself again.
I know how frustrating it can be...trust me...I know. I felt that way too, and came off med for a good 6 years, but I've come to realize you really need them to maintain a good quality of life. The meds help to lessen the amount of episodes you have and how severe they can be. A suggestion that I have for you is to try different meds. Every med effects every person differently. If you don't like how these make you feel, tell your pdoc, and if she refuses to change, I'd find a new pdoc who is more willing to work with you. At one point I was on Lithium, Depakote, Klonopin, Risperdol, Zyprexa and Welbutrin. I was a zombie. All I did was sleep, eat, and sleep some more. I had no job, stopped going to school...I was 21 at the time...and I was really nothing. I know how you feel right now. You may need to change meds many times before you find the right cocktail that works for you to manage your symptoms and help you feel normal. I know it's frustrating, but don't give up. You just have to keep trying different meds until you find ones you are comfortable with.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:26 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User

I take Depakote, Fluoxetine, Risperdal, Trazodone and Klonopin for my bipolar. I don't feel like a zombie either.

I do have severe problems with short term memory, but that has been the case ever since I started taking meds for my BP 3 years ago.

As far as Depakote is concerned, it's known to cause sleepiness and clouded thinking.

I'm on a medium high dose of Depakote, a low dose of Fluoxetine, a high dose of Risperdal, a medium daily and high PRN dose of Trazodone and a low dose of Clonazepam yet none of these meds make me feel tired.
Prozac 40mg
Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Old 04-04-2009, 02:16 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Llama HB User

I would definitely call your pdoc before going off any meds. There may be better alternatives out there for you.

Old 04-04-2009, 08:02 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

BPguy,

Sorry that you're having such a hard time with this dreadful disease and all these meds. I know it's hard to get used to all the different drugs and all their different side effects and how long it takes your body to get used to them, but sometimes we just have to be patient, as much as we don't want to. I've had so many med changes I can't even count them anymore. Have you thought of perhaps checking into a different pdoc if the one that you have now doesn't listen to you? Maybe that's the problem. It is so important that you have a pdoc that will listen to you and let you take an active role in your care and treatment, and from what you say it doesn't sound like your pdoc does. whichever the case stopping your meds cold turkey is never the right idea, that just creates a whole load of additional problems to the ones that your already having. Good luck with whatever you decide, and let us know if we can do anything further to help.

Kat

Old 04-05-2009, 04:21 PM   #9
(female)

tigger5150 HB User

BPguy
Just chiming in with the rest of the group here. Don't stop your meds cold turkey I did that and it caused more problems than it was worth. There are so many medications out there now that perhaps your combination doesn't suit you and you need a different one. Like Kat, I've been on so many combinations that I couldn't list them all - and at the moment still trying a new combination as we have not found one to break through my deep depression/SI/self harm, although at the moment this one is the first in a long time that has "budged" me even a little and according to my pdoc the antidepressant is one of the very old ones... I also agree with Kat and the others, a good relationship with your pdoc is absolutely essential. I started out with one when first diagnosed that was fabulous, he retired and 2 in a row that I just wasn't comfortable with, now I have one that works for me... he can take one look at me when I walk in the office and know what's going on and works with me. I wish you well, this is not an easy journey for any of us BP'ers, but you have found a place where you will find a lot of support!

Old 04-05-2009, 07:52 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User

Lamictal doesn't ha have that effect on me. I'm on that and Wellbutrin.
What you experienced is pretty normal, I think, stopping them and feeling just sooo good for a couple of days. I've done that, and never felt so good for those few days. Of course, then wham! And since Lamictal is an anti-seizure med, you could really be harmed.
Above advice is great - work with you doc to change the meds so you can do it safely and a minimum of discomfort.
And don't give up. You'll find the right meds. If this doc can't give you that, then find another.

Hope you find support here to see you through.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:26 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

I don't mean to scare anyone, but if you're taking an anticonvulsant, immediately stopping meds could result in a seizure.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 04-05-2009, 08:29 PM   #12
(female)

caitlin122 HB User

I don't think your scaring anyone, I think it's great that you are educating everyone on the possibility of a bad thing that could happen. That's what we are here for. To look out for each other. Thanks for the info Dreams, anyone who is on Lamictal, Depakote, etc. should know this info. Myself included. Thanks.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:32 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by caitlin122 View Post
I don't think your scaring anyone, I think it's great that you are educating everyone on the possibility of a bad thing that could happen. That's what we are here for. To look out for each other. Thanks for the info Dreams, anyone who is on Lamictal, Depakote, etc. should know this info. Myself included. Thanks.
You're welcome!

This is what the attending pdoc when I was IP in 2006 told me would happen if I stopped taking my meds.

I've only stopped taking my meds once and that was for a week when I was manic. I'll never do it again because I started hearing voices, was delusional and extremely paranoid.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 04-05-2009 at 08:34 PM.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:37 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

light the world HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams in neon View Post
I don't mean to scare anyone, but if you're taking an anticonvulsant, immediately stopping meds could result in a seizure.
Thats good to know seeing that I have absent seizures and am on tegritol.

Meds: Clonazepam 4mg, Seroquel 200mg

Closed Thread