It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2009, 05:05 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

light the world HB User
Any good anxiety meds?

I understand that usually people who become manic or hypomanic usually its not that safe to be prescribed any antidepressents which are usually the best for people like me who have a social anxiety disorder. It can make them manic.Besides the benzodiazepines which I know enough about. Are there any other meds that can be used to treat anxiety for long term use with someone that has symptoms of hypomania or mania.

Meds: Clonazepam 4mg, Seroquel 200mg

Old 04-04-2009, 05:07 PM   #2
(female)

caitlin122 HB User
Re: Any good anxiety meds?

I take Effexor ER, which is an anti depressant and an anti anxiety all in one. I am also on a mood stabilizer, Lamictal. Effexor works great for anxiety. I also take xanax at night time, but I take it too when I get panic attacks, and xanax works wonders! While some anti depressants can cause mania, if you are on a mood stabilizer you shouldn't have a problem with it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2009, 05:12 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

light the world HB User

Well I am on a mood stabilizer (tegritol). I guess I'll just have to ask my pdoc on Wednesday about what would be a good choice for me in the end.

Last edited by light the world; 04-04-2009 at 05:13 PM.

Old 04-04-2009, 06:30 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by caitlin122 View Post
I take Effexor ER, which is an anti depressant and an anti anxiety all in one. I am also on a mood stabilizer, Lamictal. Effexor works great for anxiety. I also take xanax at night time, but I take it too when I get panic attacks, and xanax works wonders! While some anti depressants can cause mania, if you are on a mood stabilizer you shouldn't have a problem with it.
Buspar is strictly an anti-anxiety medicine that can be taken as a stand alone or in combination with other meds. It works quite well.

Old 04-04-2009, 08:34 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by under View Post
I understand that usually people who become manic or hypomanic usually its not that safe to be prescribed any antidepressents which are usually the best for people like me who have a social anxiety disorder. It can make them manic.Besides the benzodiazepines which I know enough about. Are there any other meds that can be used to treat anxiety for long term use with someone that has symptoms of hypomania or mania.
Prozac is another good choice for an anti-anxiety med. I take Prozac for my bipolar depression, but I've found that it also helps relieve the anxiety I feel when I'm manic or am having a PTSD flashback.

I'm on 4 mood stabilizers (Depakote, Risperdal, Clonazepam, Topamax), so I don't need to worry about Prozac causing mania.

Besides, I've been taking it since January and haven't had any problems with mania despite this.
Prozac 40mg
Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Old 04-04-2009, 08:35 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Well I am on a mood stabilizer (tegritol). I guess I'll just have to ask my pdoc on Wednesday about what would be a good choice for me in the end.
You're also on Lithium and that's considered a mood stabilizer as well.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 04-04-2009, 08:37 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by caitlin122 View Post
I know quite a few people with BP who take Effexor for anxiety and they all report very good results. Anti-depressants are generally good for treating anxiety. I'm not sure why, but it may have to do with the calming effects these meds have.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 04-04-2009, 08:50 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

light the world HB User

I suppose then its not that bad to take a antidepressent with a mood stabilizer to help control you anxiety then. This is good news because when I meet my pdoc on Wednesday I can ask him about a med for my anxiety. Thanks for everyones input.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:00 PM   #9
(female)

kathryn00 HB User

an ad is the way to go. it prevents anxiety whereas a benzo treats it after it starts. you don't want to take a benzo on a daily basis - it's addicting.

i take celexa, it is pretty good.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:05 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

light the world HB User

Yah I do need an ad. I've tried effexor, celexa, and zoloft so far and none have worked for some reason.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:09 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathryn00 View Post
an ad is the way to go. it prevents anxiety whereas a benzo treats it after it starts. you don't want to take a benzo on a daily basis - it's addicting.

i take celexa, it is pretty good.
I take 2 Klonopin 3x/day and have not had any problems with addiction. The potential for addiction varies from person to person.

By the way, my new pdoc specializes in addiction, so if he felt that there was a high potential for me to become addicted to Klonopin, he would not have agreed to prescribe it.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 04-04-2009 at 09:12 PM.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:11 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
I suppose then its not that bad to take a antidepressent with a mood stabilizer to help control you anxiety then. This is good news because when I meet my pdoc on Wednesday I can ask him about a med for my anxiety. Thanks for everyones input.
As long as you take one or more mood stabilizers, you should not have a problem with mania. Since you're already taking 2 (Lithium and Tegretol), you should be fine.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 04-04-2009, 09:12 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

light the world HB User

I take 4mg of ativan and I don't think I've had any addiction myself to it but the problem is that I could take 10 or 15mg a day and still not have my anxiety calmed down.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:14 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
I take 4mg of ativan and I don't think I've had any addiction myself to it but the problem is that I could take 10 or 15mg a day and still not have my anxiety calmed down.
Have you tried taking doses as high as 10 or 15mg? If not, you may want to consider it and discuss this with your pdoc.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 04-04-2009, 09:17 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

light the world HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams in neon View Post
Have you tried taking doses as high as 10 or 15mg? If not, you may want to consider it and discuss this with your pdoc.
My pdoc said not to ever do that. He said that itwould be too much for me. What do people really take that much of it?

Closed Thread