It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2009, 11:13 AM   #1
(female)

bluegreensky HB User
The typical meds combo..?

Hey guys, i have been researching bp meds like crazy the last couple of days and have finally come up with a pretty extensive list of up to date meds that are available in south africa...i want to know as much as possible about meds when i meet with pdoc on 9th...can anyone please tell me what the ideal combo is...not meaning specific trade names but rather combination of types e.g. antipsychotic & antidepressant & sedative or something like that...thanks...

Old 04-06-2009, 03:59 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Llama HB User
Re: The typical meds combo..?

The ideal combo is different for everyone. Some need an antipsychotic, some don't. Some need an antidepressant, some don't. etc.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2009, 04:11 PM   #3
(female)

caitlin122 HB User

Llama is right. Everyone needs a different combo, because the chemistry in our brains is all different, but I think it's great that your researching meds. This will give you a better idea of what you might need as opposed to a doctor telling you what you need. You can go in with suggestions, and that could help. How are the doctors in South Africa?

Old 04-06-2009, 11:13 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Like the other posters said, nobody's combo is te same. some take 7 and some only take 1 or 2 it just dependds on the person.

k

Old 04-06-2009, 11:34 PM   #5
(female)

bluegreensky HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by caitlin122 View Post
Llama is right. Everyone needs a different combo, because the chemistry in our brains is all different, but I think it's great that your researching meds. This will give you a better idea of what you might need as opposed to a doctor telling you what you need. You can go in with suggestions, and that could help. How are the doctors in South Africa?
My opinion of pdocs here is that they are not very open to suggestions, i think that most of the time they think that people with mental illness don't have the ability to recognize what they need...means they're not really open to discussion...'m sure that there must be some exceptions, but i haven't come across one yet...

Old 04-07-2009, 06:06 AM   #6
(female)

caitlin122 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegreensky View Post
My opinion of pdocs here is that they are not very open to suggestions, i think that most of the time they think that people with mental illness don't have the ability to recognize what they need...means they're not really open to discussion...'m sure that there must be some exceptions, but i haven't come across one yet...
I'm sorry to heat that Blue...that must make treatment even harder for you. I hope you do come across a doc who is openminded. That's why I think it's great and even more important that you are reseraching all the meds at home, this way you have a better idea of what is what, so that way if the pdoc doesn't tell you much, you'll still be educated on the meds.

Old 04-07-2009, 03:57 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlin09 View Post
Like the other posters said, nobody's combo is te same. some take 7 and some only take 1 or 2 it just dependds on the person.

k
Exactly.

After I was diagnosed with bipolar, I only took 2 meds (Depakote and Risperdal).

Since my symptoms have become worse, I now take 5.
Prozac 40mg
Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Last edited by dreams in neon; 04-07-2009 at 03:58 PM.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:08 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Hey blue,

How are you doing, have you had any luck with findinf a new pdoc or talking more with your pdoc? You had mentioned med combos', well they can train so fast that since I last posted I've added 3 more to my combo for a total of 8, so it is always useless.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:24 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Hey blue,

How are you doing, have you had any luck with findinf a new pdoc or talking more with your pdoc? You had mentioned med combos', well they can train so fast that since I last posted I've added 3 more to my combo for a total of 8, so it is always useless.
What 8 meds are you on, Kat? I know you've had alot of med changes, so I don't remember.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 04-07-2009, 09:11 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

I'm on:

Lamictal
Abilify
Buspar
Wellbutrin SR
Clonozapen
Neurontin
Topamax
Trazadone

and a couple of herbals/vit. Vitamin D, Biotin.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:16 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kat,

Excuse my poor short term memory. I'm not questioning you because I doubt your pdoc, but I'm just wondering if he plans to keep you on Trazodone? I'm asking because I thought I remember you mentioning the fact that you may stop taking it eventually.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 04-08-2009, 12:13 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

irishwriter HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by caitlin122 View Post
I'm sorry to heat that Blue...that must make treatment even harder for you. I hope you do come across a doc who is openminded. That's why I think it's great and even more important that you are reseraching all the meds at home, this way you have a better idea of what is what, so that way if the pdoc doesn't tell you much, you'll still be educated on the meds.
hi blue,

i hope you can find new pdoc who is more interested in making it a level playing field when dealing with a patient. am lucky with my guy who is usually open to my reasearch on any drug and taking my opinions into consideration, eg i refused ect and epilim as latter caused rapid weight gain and former causes memory loss so no way. my memory has already been effected enough by they meds i am on. good luck with it all. let us know how you get on.

iw

Old 04-08-2009, 01:02 AM   #13
Inactive
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams in neon View Post
Kat,

Excuse my poor short term memory. I'm not questioning you because I doubt your pdoc, but I'm just wondering if he plans to keep you on Trazodone? I'm asking because I thought I remember you mentioning the fact that you may stop taking it eventually.
I know your' not questioning him silly...i'm down to 100 and next week when I go back he'll take me off. With all the stuff i'm on he didn't want to take any chances with causing any problems just stopping it. He's being over cautious but I prefer that then not.

Old 04-08-2009, 05:07 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
I know your' not questioning him silly...i'm down to 100 and next week when I go back he'll take me off. With all the stuff i'm on he didn't want to take any chances with causing any problems just stopping it. He's being over cautious but I prefer that then not.
I agree that it's better to be on the safe side.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Closed Thread