It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2009, 01:01 PM   #1
(female)

bluegreensky HB User
treatment resistant..

hi all, i have been stuck in this mixed episode for at least 9 weeks now and pdoc just keeps upping the dosage of my serequel(quetiapine)...but to no avail, i get a couple night's good sleep after increased dosage but then go back to being busy busy busy....what does it mean to be treatment resistant? and is it different from being med-resistant? and is med-compliant the opposite of that?...i can't make sense of info on net, so taking the easy way out by asking you guys..hope you don't mind

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2009, 04:56 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Llama HB User
Re: treatment resistant..

I think med-compliant means that you are taking your meds like you are supposed to. Treatment resistant means that your particular case of bipolar is not responding optimally to the medications. It doesn't mean that they aren't helping at all, it just means that they are not helping as good as they should be.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2009, 05:15 PM   #3
(female)

caitlin122 HB User

Med resistant I think would be when your body is resistent to meds altogether, but I could be wrong though, it's just my guess. Sometimes a drug isn't working for you, but the doctor is too stubborn to change it. I would address this with you doc, tell him/her the dosage increase is not working, and you would like to try another med to see if there is something out there that works better for you. It can take a very long time and a lot of med changes before you find ones that work well for you. It can be stressful and tedious, but the payoff in the end can be a better quality of life.

Old 04-07-2009, 12:11 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

well I have Med Resistant Suicidal Depression and that means that on average I see my pdoc every 1 to 2 weeks, as to where most people see theres every month or 3 months even for med management. Everytime I see my pdoc my meds get adjusted or changed, because my depression is very resistant to medication; plus I have severe insomnia due to all the psych meds; and I have the SH/SI to deal with, and you and i talked about that s you know what that is. Med compliant means that you are taking your meds 100% like you are supposed to. I have been med compliant for 1 and 1/2 years now. Currently I am on a cocktail of Lamictal, Buspar, Abilify, Klonopin, Wellbutrin SR, Topamax and Trazadone, I think that's it I'm starting to lose count. Even with all of these drugs I am still suicidally depressed and still not sleeping much, so it's just each person's body chemistry and how they react. I just started the wellbutrin Thursday so hopefully it will kick in soon.

kat

Old 04-07-2009, 12:39 AM   #5
(female)

bluegreensky HB User

That means i'm med resistant and med compliant...a little more knowledge to go into that office with on thursday...thanks guys any thoughts on treatment resistant?...same as med resistant but just includes complete treatment plan i.e. psychotherapy?

Old 04-07-2009, 09:09 AM   #6
(female)

Bunnylover HB User

What else have you tried besides seroquel? It's a good match for some people, but for you there are lots of other things to try that might work better.

Med-compliant doesn't have to mean blindly doing what your pdoc says, in my opinion. Don't just go off your meds, of course, but if they're not working it's fine to ask questions, and politely but firmly insist on pursuing other treatment options. Med-compliant means working with your doctor to find a regime that works for you and sticking with it, not just taking whatever they throw at you.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:50 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegreensky View Post
That means i'm med resistant and med compliant...a little more knowledge to go into that office with on thursday...thanks guys any thoughts on treatment resistant?...same as med resistant but just includes complete treatment plan i.e. psychotherapy?
treatment resistant would just mean that you refuse to go for treatment, or therapy or anythig to control your BiPolar.

kat

Old 04-07-2009, 09:53 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Bunnylover is right you should always take a proactive stance in your mental health treatment. That's one of the first things my pdoc taught me. You don't have to just accept what they say, you have the right to ask for other options and suggest other drugs. Or just say, "Hey, this isn't working we need to do something else, why don't we research some other drugs that might help me". If your pdoc takes offense to this approach, it's probably time to find a new pdoc.

kat

Old 04-07-2009, 04:49 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnylover View Post
Med-compliant means working with your doctor to find a regime that works for you and sticking with it, not just taking whatever they throw at you.
This is an excellent point and something I should have learned a long time ago. I had an inattentive pdoc who never listened to me whenever I told him I was rapid cycling or manic. I wasted 1.5 years with him until I finally put my foot down and found a new pdoc. The pdoc I found ended up dropping me as a client because my case of bipolar was too difficult for him to treat, but he was still a wonderful pdoc just the same. He gave me some stability -- something I haven't had in a very long time. I'm now working with another wonderful pdoc who allows me to have a say in my treatment. If there are meds I'd like to try, he accepts my input provided that it is reasonable.
Prozac 40mg
Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Old 04-07-2009, 09:10 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegreensky View Post
blue,

Have you been told by a pdoc that you are med resistant? Because a pdoc will not take that as part of your diagnosis unless its came from a pdocl.

kat

Closed Thread