It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2009, 07:11 AM   #1
(female)

snowbunny09 HB User
Unhappy new and depressed

hi, im new here so please bare with me. a little history:

i was first diagnosed with bp three years ago. ive had lots of ups and downs since then. ive been on lamictal since first diagnosed but the other med kept changing. finally found abilify which worked wonders for me, although recently my husband lost his job and we can no longer aford abilify. now i am currently on lamictal and perphenazine. the only problem with this is that its not helping as much with my depression. the other thing that isnt helping is that i have a new pdoc. my last one had a better job offer and went elsewhere. i really really liked him and now i am lost. all i want to do is cry. why do we get so hooked on our pdocs? he was my first pdoc and i saw him every three weeks for three years. i just saw my new pdoc and i don't know if i'm going to like him or not. he only plans on seeing me once every three months. i don't feel that that is going to be enough.

i could go on and on but my problem is that im really depressed about my pdoc being gone. has anyone else felt this way about their pdoc or is it just me? also does anyone know anything about perphenazine? i haven't been this depressed for a long time.

snowbunny09

Old 04-07-2009, 07:51 AM   #2
(female)

bluegreensky HB User
Thumbs up Re: new and depressed

Hi sb, welcome

perphenazine is a antipsychotic that when prescribed for bipolar is normally intended for the manic phase of bipolar...if you are not prone to mixed episodes, you can discuss with your pdoc the possibility of adding a antidepressant to lift your mood slightly, but i'm sure your pdoc will err on the side of caution when it comes to antidepressants as it can easily cause you to go manic again...other alternative is to lower your dosage...here are some common side effects of perphenazine:

Abnormal Movements of Face Muscles and Tongue - Severe
Extrapyramidal Reaction - Severe
Pigmentary Retinopathy - Severe
Blurred Vision - Severe
Abnormally Low Blood Pressure - Severe
Feeling Faint - Severe
A Feeling of Restlessness with Inability to Sit Still - Severe
Blood Pressure Drop Upon Standing - Less Severe
Stuffy Nose - Less Severe
Increased Production of Saliva - Less Severe
Dry Mouth - Less Severe
Incomplete or Infrequent Bowel Movements - Less Severe
Decreased Sweating - Less Severe
Drowsiness - Less Severe
Dizzy - Less Severe

hope you find this info helpful...

blue

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2009, 08:00 AM   #3
(female)

Bunnylover HB User
Re: new and depressed

I don't know much about them, but most (all?) drug companies have assistance programs if you can't afford their medications. If your husband lost his job, and (I'm assuming) no health insurance, you would probably qualify.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:50 AM   #4
(female)

snowbunny09 HB User

thanks to all of you for responding and telling me about the drug discounts that i can get. i wasn't aware of them, although they won't do me any good for this year because we made too much money last year. ofcourse they go by last year so this year im out of luck. thanks alot for trying anyway.

thanks irishwriter for suggesting that i talk to my pdoc about seeing him more often. i think that i will give that a try even though i don't think that it'll work. who knows maybe i'm wrong. i've never seen a tdoc so i'm a bit nervous about mentioning that but maybe i will.

thank you all and i hope that everything is going well with you

snowbunny

Old 04-08-2009, 12:31 PM   #5
(female)

Angelinchat2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbunny09 View Post
hi, im new here so please bare with me. a little history:

i could go on and on but my problem is that im really depressed about my pdoc being gone. has anyone else felt this way about their pdoc or is it just me? also does anyone know anything about perphenazine? i haven't been this depressed for a long time.

snowbunny09

I know the feeling about losing pdoc. I found out today mine has been moved to another clinic and only will come to the clinic I go to once month. They were gonna give me a new pdoc...a man and I'll only talk with a woman and my pdoc knows that. I fell apart when I heard the news from my tdoc. My tdoc called my pdoc and then called me and told me that I will get to see her when in this clinic on a monthly bases. She has given me her new phone number there and has told me to call her if I need her inbetween from now on.
I do not want to have to start over when I have finally starting letting some things out that I haven't before ...sigh.

Hashimotos
IBS/Gerd
Bipolar
PTSD
Panic and Anxiety Attacks
lower back/hip/leg pain being checked

Old 04-08-2009, 01:21 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelinchat2 View Post
I know the feeling about losing pdoc. I found out today mine has been moved to another clinic and only will come to the clinic I go to once month. They were gonna give me a new pdoc...a man and I'll only talk with a woman and my pdoc knows that. I fell apart when I heard the news from my tdoc. My tdoc called my pdoc and then called me and told me that I will get to see her when in this clinic on a monthly bases. She has given me her new phone number there and has told me to call her if I need her inbetween from now on.
I do not want to have to start over when I have finally starting letting some things out that I haven't before ...sigh.
Jenay,

I am so sorry to hear this. I don't know what is going onlately, everyone is either losing their pdocs or tdocs or having to change for some reason or another, its an epidemic. At least you'll still be ablle to see your's once a month and call in between. It will take some adjusting, but your a strong woman and you'll be able to handle it.

kat

Old 04-08-2009, 10:19 PM   #7
(female)

Angelinchat2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlin09 View Post
Jenay,

I am so sorry to hear this. I don't know what is going onlately, everyone is either losing their pdocs or tdocs or having to change for some reason or another, its an epidemic. At least you'll still be ablle to see your's once a month and call in between. It will take some adjusting, but your a strong woman and you'll be able to handle it.

kat

Kat,
Thanks, I sure don't feel too strong right now. I think the worry is keeping me awake and the stress of knowing she wont be right here anymore. She is office about 45 minutes away. And if real important I can always get hubby to drive me I suppose...sigh. Are you feeling better?

Hashimotos
IBS/Gerd
Bipolar
PTSD
Panic and Anxiety Attacks
lower back/hip/leg pain being checked

Closed Thread