It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2009, 08:04 AM   #1
(female)

Bunnylover HB User
Coping with paralysis (mental, not physical)

I found out I won't have employment for the fall (financial cutbacks at the university I adjunct at), and my husband is taking a major hit financially as well (he works for a now-struggling non-profit) so I'm feeling really anxious, which gets me into a cycle of anxiety, and I can't get out of it. Which means I don't do anything but obsess.

What I really should be doing is getting off my rear and working on my dissertation, because the sooner I can finish, the sooner I can (hopefully) get a real job, which would make things better, and lower my anxiety. But it's like I get stuck, which only makes the problem worse.

I'd love to hear how people cope with these not helpfull cycles.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:01 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User
Re: Coping with paralysis (mental, not physical)

I wish I could help you but i've been unempolyed since the end of Feb. and it's thrown me into a really bad depression that I can't seem to crrawl out of....all I do is lay in bed all day. I try to make contacts via the internet and phone...but there just isnt much out there.

kat

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2009, 08:03 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User

Hi,
Maybe you could try starting with a very limited goal that wouldn't seem like too much. Perhaps something like working on your dissertation for an hour only. If you feel you can do that, great, then that success might feed into more.
I think sometimes we are just too overwhelmed to act. Then we need to take a major amount of stress off ourselves and do small things for a while.

I can't tell you not to be overwhelmed by all the difficulties you face now, just that sometimes I can take action, however small, I feel less helpless and buffeted about.

And have compassion for yourself for being under such strain. Take it gentle, and it will come along.Do everything to give yourself rest and treats, too.

I hope this might help a little bit,

Seaturtle

Old 04-07-2009, 08:15 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

hi Seaturtle,

I miss you on the boards, I hope you're doing okay.

kat

Old 04-08-2009, 12:19 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

irishwriter HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnylover View Post
I found out I won't have employment for the fall (financial cutbacks at the university I adjunct at), and my husband is taking a major hit financially as well (he works for a now-struggling non-profit) so I'm feeling really anxious, which gets me into a cycle of anxiety, and I can't get out of it. Which means I don't do anything but obsess.

What I really should be doing is getting off my rear and working on my dissertation, because the sooner I can finish, the sooner I can (hopefully) get a real job, which would make things better, and lower my anxiety. But it's like I get stuck, which only makes the problem worse.

I'd love to hear how people cope with these not helpfull cycles.
Hi Bunny,

i find it extremely difficult to leave the house unless absolutely necessary but clonazepam and xanax help when i have no choice. baby steps are the only way to do it. maybe either a sentence or a paragraph of your dissertation might help you. i do hope your situation with your husband's work situation improves. this recession seems to be hitting everwhere big time. my two sons are both out of work and one of them has just moved back home as he just could not afford to live away at the moment. am hoping to get his social welfare payments sorted soon. he's a good person so it is good in the main to have him home though it does mean less time to myself which i find difficult.

will be thinking of you, take care.

iw

Old 04-08-2009, 05:54 AM   #6
(female)

Bunnylover HB User

Thanks for the support. Seaturtle, you're right about setting small steps, I know that is what I need to do, but it helps to hear it. I did get a bit done yesterday.

This stupid recession is hurting so many, particularly those who were already struggling already. My heart goes out to everyone here that is affected. I'm really scared because they're messing with my husband's health insurance, which is how I'm insured, and I'm terrified of loosing my great pdoc and/or my prescription coverage--it's been such a long struggle to find a med combo that works, and a good doctor.

Closed Thread