It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2009, 02:18 PM   #1
(female)

Elf_Ears HB User
rapid cycling today

Wow, this hasn't happened for a while. Even though I'm on 150mg lamictal/daily, I'm up and down today, about once an hour, with neutral inbetween. I think that's rapid cycling.

Anyone else have this on lamictal? I don't remember this on 900mg lithium.

Last edited by Elf_Ears; 04-07-2009 at 02:20 PM. Reason: add smileys

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2009, 04:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User
Re: rapid cycling today

Yes, you're rapid cycling. I'm a rapid cycler as well (although it isn't due to meds in my case) and my moods change every hour and sometimes every minute.

I'm not sure what to suggest except to call your pdoc ASAP so that your Lamictal dose can be lowered.
Prozac 40mg
Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Last edited by dreams in neon; 04-07-2009 at 04:52 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2009, 11:29 PM   #3
(female)

Elf_Ears HB User

But i really like it. My non high times have not been depressed, but rather tired, or like I'm idling.

I've noticed that the highs are lasting about 10 minutes, then I go neutral, or just feeling a little run down. But that fades to normal, then high again. And round it goes...

The lamictal may need to be lessened. I've not been sleeping as well the last few months. One thing about lithium - I slept great on it. If only I wasn't forgetting so many appts, etc... That's why I switched - poor short-term memory. I've not had that problem on the lamictal. And I feel more like myself on it than any other psychotropic drug I've been on before. (Lexapro, Celexa, lithium).

Last edited by Elf_Ears; 04-07-2009 at 11:31 PM. Reason: more words needed

Old 04-07-2009, 11:34 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

The only problem with waiting it out is the potential for severe mania. Believe me, you don't want to experience that. I've had a severe manic episode and it was NOT fun. I enjoy my manias too, but not to the point where I'm willing to risk becoming psychotic, delusional and paranoid. When you're rapid cycling on a minute by minute basis, that needs to be addressed ASAP.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 04-07-2009, 11:36 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

By the way, are you rapid cycling because of the Lamictal? Lamictal can cause mania which is why I'm asking.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 04-08-2009, 01:04 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

irishwriter HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elf_Ears View Post

Wow, this hasn't happened for a while. Even though I'm on 150mg lamictal/daily, I'm up and down today, about once an hour, with neutral inbetween. I think that's rapid cycling.

Anyone else have this on lamictal? I don't remember this on 900mg lithium.
hi,

am on 400mg of lamictal/day and it is the only drug that hasn't really given me any side effects except for a lack of interest in reading, (first time since i was seven, i was reading six/seven books/week) i miss the ability to fill time with that distraction. i had the same effect on lithium (1200/day) but went off that due to the fact that it didn't work for me. lamictal doesn't seem to be doing a whole lot yet either and am on it for over eight weeks (maybe about sixteen weeks) pdoc just added ltryptohan to boost it so another waiting game. hope lamictal works for you and pdoc reduces dose to reduce effects without decreasing the efficiency of it. good luck with it.

iw.

Old 04-08-2009, 06:08 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishwriter View Post
hi,

am on 400mg of lamictal/day and it is the only drug that hasn't really given me any side effects except for a lack of interest in reading, (first time since i was seven, i was reading six/seven books/week) i miss the ability to fill time with that distraction. i had the same effect on lithium (1200/day) but went off that due to the fact that it didn't work for me. lamictal doesn't seem to be doing a whole lot yet either and am on it for over eight weeks (maybe about sixteen weeks) pdoc just added ltryptohan to boost it so another waiting game. hope lamictal works for you and pdoc reduces dose to reduce effects without decreasing the efficiency of it. good luck with it.

iw.
Irish,

My love of reading has diminished over the last year or so but I never attributed it to Lamictal, did your pdoc tell you it could do that? My pdoc is thinking of going the Lithium route again (20 yrs ago), but I don't thing I'm going to, I don't just need all the hassle that comes with it..I hope you're havin a really great day today.

kat

Old 04-08-2009, 06:30 AM   #8
(female)

Elf_Ears HB User

This lack of interest in reading is interesting. Maybe it's because I'm hyper, but other than being on lithium, I'm not able to sit still for long. I itch and wriggle. Even if a family member wants to have a nice long talk, I find I'm more able to read if I'm doing something, though it must be mindless, dishes or laundry, for example. Maybe I'm ADHD too.

I couldn't sleep til 1:30 last night. I've not had insomnia like that for a while. Then I woke up, and thought, "I still got it!" (unaccounted-for happiness)

The thing about these times of happiness is that they are not new to me. I think, "I rememeber this!" I felt this way frequently through my late teens - mid-30's, then I crashed in a bad way... Tdoc thought depression, but after some risk-taking behavior, Pdoc knew better... though I'm called Mood Disorder NOS, I think I'm bpII.

About that happiness earlier in my life: was I having lots of hypomania w/o true depression? Could my "lows" have been just feeling neutral? Has anyone else experienced that?

Family history: Grandma was schizophrenic, mom battles depression, aunt seems bipoplar, needs ECT sometimes. Sister is very paranoid, almost delusional, anxious, but undiagnosed of course, because of the paranoia. Don't really know what's going on with her. Just thought this info might help any of you with advising me...

Old 04-08-2009, 06:42 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

It's possible to have constant hypomania without depression. This happens to alot of people who are diagnosed with atypical bipolar. They tend to have frequent hypomanic episodes where they cycle between normal mood and hypomania or they always have hypomania. I feel like the latter describes my teen years. I had many manic episodes although I didn't recognize what they were at the time. I rarely felt depressed and was always engaging in risk taking behavior and poor decision-making.

If you are having difficulty sleeping, I would strongly encourage you to let your pdoc know since lack of sleep can make mania worse.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 04-08-2009 at 06:52 AM.

Old 04-08-2009, 06:43 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

By the way, what does your pdoc mean by "Mood Disorder NOS?"

Since you rapid cycle and experience mania, wouldn't you be considered bipolar or Bipolar NOS?
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 04-08-2009 at 06:53 AM.

Old 04-08-2009, 06:56 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlin09 View Post
My pdoc is thinking of going the Lithium route again (20 yrs ago), but I don't thing I'm going to, I don't just need all the hassle that comes with it..
My old pdoc wanted to add a small dose of Lithium to my cocktail if my moods didn't improve, but I'm glad it never reached that point. I've heard that Lithium has alot of side effects and I'm not crazy about having yet another blood test to check my Lithium levels like I do with Depakote. I know Lithium is an excellnt mood stabilizer that works great for many people, but I prefer not to take it if at all possible.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 04-08-2009 at 06:59 AM.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:59 AM   #12
(female)

Elf_Ears HB User

[QUOTE]It's possible to have constant hypomania without depression. This happens to alot of people who are diagnosed with atypical bipolar. They tend to have frequent hypomanic episodes where they cycle between normal mood and hypomania or they always have hypomania.[QUOTE]

OK, wow that is me. I did put a call in to my pdoc. I'm kinda bummed to stop this. I've not been hypomanic this whole spring, or at least didn't feel this unaccounted for happiness, but maybe I was zinging a little. I've started a college course, 23 after graduating HS, and I'm getting 100% on all the papers, with amazing comments from my prof. He even used the word "amazing" about the one paper, and 8-pg case study, when 3-4 pgs were required. The other paper he called a "model critique" and wants to use it for it for future classes! Also, I just took up Suzuki cello, and I'm loving it! I'm almost 42, and I feel like I'm in a personal renaissance. And it some kind of bp is responsible - I'm glad for it!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

OK, pdoc just called, and after hearing my symptoms, changed my dx from mood disorder to bipolar II. And he prescribed risperdal to help me sleep. I got off the phone and just cried. Even though I had diagnosed myself as bpII, there's just something really heavy about hearing a pdoc say it...

I feel better after playing my cello...

Old 04-08-2009, 09:17 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

[QUOTE=Elf_Ears;3949251]
Quote:
OK, pdoc just called, and after hearing my symptoms, changed my dx from mood disorder to bipolar II.
I thought you might have bipolar based on your symptoms. Did he also say that you're a rapid cycler? From what I understand, rapid cycling is more common among females who have BPII. I'm a rare bird since I have rapid cycling BPI.

I know how you feel about the relief of finally having a diagnosis. I felt the same way in December when my old pdoc correctly diagnosed me after 18 years with atypical BPI with rapid cycling. I've had 5 diagnoses that entire time and only 2 of them (atypical BPI with rapid cycling and PTSD) were correct.

By the way, congrats on your papers! I've had similar comments from my professors on the papers I've written while manic.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 04-08-2009, 10:04 AM   #14
(female)

Elf_Ears HB User

Before I say anything more, Let me thank you, Dreams, for your time and availability to me. I really needed this today.

Actually, I cried out of a quiet devastation... I don't want this label. But I guess I knew it down deep, esp after so much (prob hypomanic lol) research. I'm glad you got relief from your dx. It must have been validating after so long. Even in just the 90 mins since I got this blow, I am feeling some little relief. Just a little...

BTW, he did say I was rapid-cycling. Also, I'm thinking I'm not atypical, though I might have been before age 34. Now I'm definately bpII. By age 35, I began to have depression episodes with angry energy between, each going on for 3-4 days before switching. I'm not sure, but I'm thinking that a combo of having baby #5, which we really wanted, and coming to grips w/my dyfunctional parents brought on the depression stuff. I also had, for the 1st time, post-partum OCD for a yr after baby #5. But it wasn't all the time, so I was able to really enjoy my new little boy.

Quote:
By the way, congrats on your papers! I've had similar comments from my professors on the papers I've written while manic.
So there is a silver lining. Weren't some of the famous composers and artists bipolar? That's my comfort.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:05 AM   #15
(female)

Elf_Ears HB User

Gotta go to class now - you have a blessed day, Dreams. You certainly have been a blessing to me!

Closed Thread