It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2009, 01:10 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User
Does Your Pdoc Treat Hypomania?

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering how many of you have a pdoc who treats your hypomania.

In other words, they make appropriate med adjustments and/or changes.

None of the pdocs I've had since my diagnosis (2) have ever treated my hypomania. My current/new pdoc told me that if I'm hypomanic, I should pay close attention to my moods and go IP if I start to feel myself escalating into mania or crashing into a severe depression.

I have to admit that I envy people who have pdocs that change meds when necessary. I can't seem to find these kinds of pdocs (with the exception of my previous pdoc) for whatever reason.

I'm frustrated by this to the point where I feel like giving up, not taking my meds or seeing a pdoc.
Prozac 40mg
Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Last edited by dreams in neon; 04-08-2009 at 01:13 PM.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:18 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User
Re: Does Your Pdoc Treat Hypomania?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams in neon View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm wondering how many of you have a pdoc who treats your hypomania.

In other words, they make appropriate med adjustments and/or changes.

None of the pdocs I've had since my diagnosis (2) have ever treated my hypomania. My current/new pdoc told me that if I'm hypomanic, I should pay close attention to my moods and go IP if I start to feel myself escalating into mania or crashing into a severe depression.

I have to admit that I envy people who have pdocs that change meds when necessary. I can't seem to find these kinds of pdocs for whatever reason.

I'm frustrated by this to the point where I feel like giving up, not taking my meds or seeing a pdoc.

Any thoughts?
My pdoc treats hypomania and of course (we all know) makes med changes when necessary. If I'm hypomanic, then I call him and he has me come into the office and we talk about what's going on and then if anything needs adjusted he does. Usually he just ups the clonazapen and one of the mood stabilizers if necesary. He doesn't force me to go IP, he's strongly, strongly reccomended it the past 2 weeks but not made me, he makes sure that I know I can alwasy call his home number at any time of the day or night as does my pdoc..

Kat

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2009, 01:31 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

I don't have my pdoc's home phone number and I highly doubt he would give it to me.

My pdoc doesn't force me to go IP. He encourages me to do so, but has never told me that I had to go.

I just wish I could find a pdoc who would take hypomania seriously. I can't seem to find a pdoc who believes in changing meds when needed.

I did find an Internet listing for an old pdoc I used to work with years ago. I'm strongly thinking about contacting his office to schedule an appointmemt with him since I'm familiar with his treatment philosophy and thought he was one of the best pdocs I've ever had.

By the way, I hope I'm not coming across as if I'm hopping from one pdoc to the next. I'm not. All I'm trying to do is find a pdoc who believes in changing meds when necessary and treating hypomania -- especially since I'm prone to manic/psychotic episodes and psychotic depression.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 04-08-2009 at 01:33 PM.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:18 PM   #4
(female)

caitlin122 HB User

Dreams,
My pdoc will adjust meds as necessary and treat my hypomania. My tdoc also tells me I can call him anytime. I have both of my docs cell numbers, that way if there is an emergency during non office hours, I can still reach them. Having those numbers is a comforting feeling. Even though I have never has to use those numbers, just having them makes me feel a bit safer.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:04 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

caitlin,

I don't think my pdoc will give me his cell phone number.

However, I do have the number for his voice mail, nurse and receptionist.

Good news. I decided to call my pdoc's nurse to let her know that I'm hypomanic. My pdoc agreed to a 2500mg PRN dosage of Depakote whenever I feel hypomanic. He also said that I could take an 8mg PRN dosage of Risperdal. I was told that either med would work and that it was up to me which one I wanted to take. Since this is the case, I do not intend on seeing a different pdoc.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 04-08-2009 at 08:08 PM.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:06 PM   #6
(female)

caitlin122 HB User

That's awesome that he is giving you that flexibilty to use at your discretion. Just knowing you those options available to you should make you feel safer and not worry as much.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:10 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by caitlin122 View Post
That's awesome that he is giving you that flexibilty to use at your discretion. Just knowing you those options available to you should make you feel safer and not worry as much.
I agree caitlin. His nurse told me that he said I'm responsible enough to take these meds on a PRN basis given how good I've been about taking Clonazepam exactly as prescribed. I feel alot better now -- especially since I don't have to change pdocs!
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 04-08-2009, 10:10 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Quote:
Dreams,
My pdoc will adjust meds as necessary and treat my hypomania. My tdoc also tells me I can call him anytime. I have both of my docs cell numbers, that way if there is an emergency during non office hours, I can still reach them. Having those numbers is a comforting feeling. Even though I have never has to use those numbers, just having them makes me feel a bit safer.
My tdoc got onto me this mornign because I didnt call her at 3:00 am sunday monring when I got to the point of self injury, but I'd already called her 3 times last week for that and felt like I was just bugging her life too much.

kat

Old 04-08-2009, 10:14 PM   #9
(female)

caitlin122 HB User

I know what you mean Kat, I had that same situation the other day. I was tyring to reach my friend all day because I really needed her, but she wan't answering, so I stopped calling, and ened up not doing so well that night. Well...I guess it's not the same, because you were trying to reach your doc and I was only trying to reach my friend, but i know how you feel about trying to reach someone when you truly need it and them not being able to be there...It totally sucks

Old 04-08-2009, 10:20 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Quote:
I know what you mean Kat, I had that same situation the other day. I was tyring to reach my friend all day because I really needed her, but she wan't answering, so I stopped calling, and ened up not doing so well that night. Well...I guess it's not the same, because you were trying to reach your doc and I was only trying to reach my friend, but i know how you feel about trying to reach someone when you truly need it and them not being able to be there...It totally sucks
Well no my doc was home, I just didn't call her 'cuz i felt so bad callign her at that time of the morning when I'd already called her 3 times that week. I just alwasy feel like i'm bugging her. But sometimes she's the only one who can talk me down from cutting.

kat

Old 04-08-2009, 10:24 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlin09 View Post
My tdoc got onto me this mornign because I didnt call her at 3:00 am sunday monring when I got to the point of self injury, but I'd already called her 3 times last week for that and felt like I was just bugging her life too much.

kat
My tdoc does the same thing to me if I come to an appointment manic or severely depressed and don't call him beforehand.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 04-08-2009, 10:25 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

light the world HB User

Quote:
Well no my doc was home, I just didn't call her 'cuz i felt so bad callign her at that time of the morning when I'd already called her 3 times that week. I just alwasy feel like i'm bugging her. But sometimes she's the only one who can talk me down from cutting.

kat
Just wondering but aren't there any numbers you can call in your local area. Like there are numbers that I can call that are on 24/7. They let you talk to someone whether its depression, anxiety, psychosis anything really.

Meds: Clonazepam 4mg, Seroquel 200mg

Old 04-08-2009, 10:31 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by under View Post
Just wondering but aren't there any numbers you can call in your local area. Like there are numbers that I can call that are on 24/7. They let you talk to someone whether its depression, anxiety, psychosis anything really.
Have you ever called a crisis line when you were psychotic? I've never been able to because I've never been able to think clearly enough.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 04-08-2009 at 10:32 PM.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:33 PM   #14
(female)

Angelinchat2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by under View Post
I have that as well Under...plus my pdoc's number.

Hashimotos
IBS/Gerd
Bipolar
PTSD
Panic and Anxiety Attacks
lower back/hip/leg pain being checked

Old 04-08-2009, 10:37 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

irishwriter HB User

Quote:

kat
kat, i know how you feel, if i call pdoc too much i really feel like a bother, then if he tells me to call at a particular time and doesn't answer i give up because i then feel even worse. si continues at same rate and is only thing still that provides any relief. wish he would come up with the magic combo for me! am tired of taking the meds and nothing working.

Closed Thread