It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2009, 05:06 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

light the world HB User
Todays Pdoc Appointment

Hello everyone. Today I had my fourth pdoc appointment with my psychiatrist that I got reffered to that works for a program that deals with people that have psychosis, schizophrenia or bipolar related disorders. Today he diagnosed me with bipolar II. Since I haven't had psychotic symptoms for over 6 weeks now he did not make the diagnosis as bipolar II with psychotic features. He thinks that the psychotic symptoms will permanently be gone which sounds like goods news, ofcourse nobody can be 100% sure of these things.

I'm glad that I finally have a diagnosis, something that tells me that this is what your going through. But then again its really painful because all of my teachers will have to know about it. Just like they had to know about the psychosis. I personally want to look into whether they have the right to know because I don't really want them to know.

Anyways so far I'm not in any depressed or hypomanic state now so I'm glad that the meds are working. At least this indicates that the meds should be working.

Anyways I hope everyone else is doing well on the board.

Meds: Clonazepam 4mg, Seroquel 200mg

Last edited by light the world; 04-08-2009 at 05:07 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2009, 06:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User
Re: Todays Pdoc Appointment

Ben,

I'm glad your appointment went well and that you finally have a diagnosis.

Why do your teachers need to know about your diagnosis? I've had bipolar for 3 years yet I never told any of my professors about it.

I don't know what laws you have for people with disabilities in Canada, but here in the U.S., teachers cannot ask you what kind of disability you have since that is a violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).

I know this to be true because when I spoke to my university's disability office, they said none of my professors will ever know that I have bipolar if I request accommodations for it. All my professors will know is that I receive accommodations for a disability (which I already do because of my deafblindness).

By the way, that is definitely good news about your psychosis permanently disappearing. Does that mean you are no longer diagnosed with psychosis?
Prozac 40mg
Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Last edited by dreams in neon; 04-08-2009 at 06:54 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2009, 08:20 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

light the world HB User

Well the pdoc never said anything about the psychosis being undiagnosed. I hope it doesn't come back but who knows it might come back. It could start back up tomorrow even or maybe it won't start back up in months or years to come. Hopefully it doesn't come back at all.

Reasons why the teachers need to know about my psychosis or any of my disorders I have know idea why. It could be because of the odd things I would use to do in class that my pdoc would consider to be psychotic. Maybe I was considered a threat to other students and the teachers needed to know about that. It also could be that I signed consent forms for the school program that I'm in. These forms allow the school program to see everything that was discussed between me and my psychiatrist. Although I'm going to ask whether it could be terminated. Is that possible?

Old 04-08-2009, 08:31 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User

Hello,

Yes, you should be able to rescind those permissions. They are way beyond the limits of anything I've ever heard of. Usually, when I have signed some permissions like that, there has been a time limit on them, and if I specified no time limit, I just asked that they be make invalid.
Insist on this. There is no reason your teachers should be informed unless you choose, and never, ever, should professionals be able to tell each other everything about you.

"Nothing about me without me."

I am glad you've found a dx, though - now you can treat it.

What grade in school are you?

Old 04-08-2009, 08:39 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

light the world HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaturtle View Post
Hello,

Yes, you should be able to rescind those permissions. They are way beyond the limits of anything I've ever heard of. Usually, when I have signed some permissions like that, there has been a time limit on them, and if I specified no time limit, I just asked that they be make invalid.
Insist on this. There is no reason your teachers should be informed unless you choose, and never, ever, should professionals be able to tell each other everything about you.

"Nothing about me without me."

I am glad you've found a dx, though - now you can treat it.

What grade in school are you?
Thanks for the info, I'm currently in grade 12. I'm in this program at school though that helps people who have social anxiety disorder. So I'll still have to go back another year of highschool because my anxiety was to overwelming this year. I'll still need to get 4 credits for next year. I don't really know how I'm going to do it though. I'm in a class of 6 right now but going from that to a class of 30 is to much.

Last edited by light the world; 04-08-2009 at 08:40 PM.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:57 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by under View Post
Thanks for the info, I'm currently in grade 12. I'm in this program at school though that helps people who have social anxiety disorder. So I'll still have to go back another year of highschool because my anxiety was to overwelming this year. I'll still need to get 4 credits for next year. I don't really know how I'm going to do it though. I'm in a class of 6 right now but going from that to a class of 30 is to much.
Maybe the Paxil you will be prescribed will help reduce your anxiety. If you take Clonazepam at a later time, that should help as well.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 04-08-2009, 09:00 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ben,

I'm at a high risk for psychosis too yet I don't feel it is necessary to tell my professors about my bipolar. If I do become psychotic during class, they will call 911 so that I can go IP.

I really don't think it's any of my professors business that I have bipolar.

By the way, I wonder why your pdoc didn't diagnose you as being BPII with psychotic features if your psychosis came come back at any time?

I don't hear voices unless I'm manic, depressed or accidentally skip a dose of my meds yet my diagnosis of atypical BPI accounts for my psychotic symptoms.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 04-08-2009 at 09:01 PM.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:43 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

light the world HB User

The pdoc said he would make it bipolar II with psychotic features if the psychotic symptoms came back. I'll be going to a new school next year so at that time I won't let them know about the psychosis or bipolar. I will let them know about the social anxiety disorder though.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:28 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
The pdoc said he would make it bipolar II with psychotic features if the psychotic symptoms came back. I'll be going to a new school next year so at that time I won't let them know about the psychosis or bipolar. I will let them know about the social anxiety disorder though.
As long as your meds treat the symptoms you have, it really isn't all that important what your diagnosis is.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 04-08-2009 at 11:29 PM.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:39 PM   #10
(female)

Angelinchat2 HB User

Quote:
Hello everyone. Today I had my fourth pdoc appointment with my psychiatrist that I got reffered to that works for a program that deals with people that have psychosis, schizophrenia or bipolar related disorders. Today he diagnosed me with bipolar II. Since I haven't had psychotic symptoms for over 6 weeks now he did not make the diagnosis as bipolar II with psychotic features. He thinks that the psychotic symptoms will permanently be gone which sounds like goods news, ofcourse nobody can be 100% sure of these things.

I'm glad that I finally have a diagnosis, something that tells me that this is what your going through. But then again its really painful because all of my teachers will have to know about it. Just like they had to know about the psychosis. I personally want to look into whether they have the right to know because I don't really want them to know.

Anyways so far I'm not in any depressed or hypomanic state now so I'm glad that the meds are working. At least this indicates that the meds should be working.

Anyways I hope everyone else is doing well on the board.
I am very glad that you finally got a diagnosis and that you seem to be stablized at the moment. I only had a few days of stable...or so it seems.

Hashimotos
IBS/Gerd
Bipolar
PTSD
Panic and Anxiety Attacks
lower back/hip/leg pain being checked

Old 04-08-2009, 11:59 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

light the world HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelinchat2 View Post
I am very glad that you finally got a diagnosis and that you seem to be stablized at the moment. I only had a few days of stable...or so it seems.
Well I kind of feel guilty. It shouldn't just be me whos getting better I hope that everyone on this board will get better and continue to do so.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:03 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

light the world HB User

Man this is not good. Its 2am in the morning and I'm not even tired. The melatonin seems to not be doing much anymore. I hope this sleeplessness doesn't start up again.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:10 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ben,

If it continues for another 2 nights, I would contact your pdoc for a sleep med like Ambien CR or Trazodone.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 04-09-2009, 12:18 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

light the world HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams in neon View Post
Ben,

If it continues for another 2 nights, I would contact your pdoc for a sleep med like Ambien CR or Trazodone.
Well I meet my nurse on Friday so if it keeps up she can tell my pdoc about it. A sleep med would be nice.

Old 04-09-2009, 01:00 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Well I meet my nurse on Friday so if it keeps up she can tell my pdoc about it. A sleep med would be nice.
I take 100mg of Trazodone when I'm feeling level and 300mg when I'm manic or can't sleep. All I can say is thank goodness for Trazodone. If it weren't for this med, I'd never get any sleep.

By the way, in case you're wondering, it's 2am here. I haven't taken my Trazodone tonight because I'm waiting for my mood to level out. If I have to, I'll take a short nap later this afternoon.

If I feel level again today, I'll take my 100mg of Trazodone so I can get back on a regular sleep cycle.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Closed Thread