It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2009, 05:19 PM   #1
(female)

bright12 HB User
Need Advice

I am a 31 year old mother of 3 and I was just diagnosed with Bipolar mania yesterday. I am terrified by what this means. I am off this week from work but I have to go back Monday. I don't know whether or not to tell my boss.
I desperately need advice.

Last edited by bright12; 04-08-2009 at 05:19 PM.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:10 PM   #2
(female)

caitlin122 HB User
Re: Need Advice

I think it depends how well your relationship is with your boss. I would not tell them, because you never know how people will react to news like this. Many people still have a huge stigma attached to mental illness, and you don't want to be discrimated against. Although that's illegal, it still happens. I was recently laid off after one week of telling my boss I was bipolar. You're boss has no need to know, unless it affects your work performance. If your performance at work is suffering, you may end up having to tell him, but I would hold off for now. I know how scary it can be when your first diagnosed, it takes a while to cope with it, but keep coming here to this board. You'll get great support, and learn so much about the disorder from others as well. Welcome to the board! And good luck...I hope this helped.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2009, 07:13 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

I completely agree with Caitlin 100%, unless you just have this totally awesome best friend in the world relationship with your boss, I wouldn't say a thing, they don't have to know.

Welcome to the Boards.

Kat

Old 04-08-2009, 07:45 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

friendsville HB User

I relied on Ativan(Lorazapam) to get me past bouts with anxiety.I met a woman who worked in the E/R who took this pill each morning before coming to work.It was a Godsend to both of us.A family doc can give you a prescription if he is willing.Good luck Bill

Old 04-08-2009, 10:15 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

If your seeing a pdoc then it's not a good idea to go to a gP to get some benzo's as they can interact seriously with your psych meds.

kat

Old 04-08-2009, 10:50 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

irishwriter HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright12 View Post
I am a 31 year old mother of 3 and I was just diagnosed with Bipolar mania yesterday. I am terrified by what this means. I am off this week from work but I have to go back Monday. I don't know whether or not to tell my boss.
I desperately need advice.
hi.to hope you get used to diagnosis. i would agree with others and say don't tell boss yet. also you could check out the laws in your area. in some states you're even allowed a few extra days off/month if needed. do as much research as you can before making a decision. sometimes people's reactions can be v. hurtful so take your time.

take care.

iw

Old 04-11-2009, 12:47 PM   #7
(female)

janet1970 HB User

I would advise having an FMLA paper signed by your MD and in place in case you have to miss work. I had one that was good for a year and it really made things smoother when I missed time. I am pretty new at this so I am learning too. You might think of joining a support group. Your doctor or therapist may recommend one. Good luck.

Old 04-11-2009, 08:49 PM   #8
(female)

tigger5150 HB User

I agree with everyone as well.... there is no need to tell your boss until you are in a situation that requires you to. If you are stable and able to get up go to work and do your job there is no need for them to know. My current bosses know because I had to be hospitalised otherwise I would not have said a thing.

Good luck and welcome to the board.

Old 04-12-2009, 01:20 AM   #9
(female)

caitlin122 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by janet1970 View Post
I would advise having an FMLA paper signed by your MD and in place in case you have to miss work. I had one that was good for a year and it really made things smoother when I missed time. I am pretty new at this so I am learning too. You might think of joining a support group. Your doctor or therapist may recommend one. Good luck.
Welcome to the board janet! I can't tell you enough has great this forum has been, and what greatly needed support and understanding I have received her. Welcome!

Old 04-12-2009, 12:02 PM   #10
(female)

bright12 HB User
Smile Re: Need Advice

Thank you guys for all your advice. It has really helped me. I am going to see my therapist tomorrow. I will let you guys know what she thinks and I will get your take on things. Thanks again

Old 04-13-2009, 12:13 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

irishwriter HB User

Quote:
Thank you guys for all your advice. It has really helped me. I am going to see my therapist tomorrow. I will let you guys know what she thinks and I will get your take on things. Thanks again
bright,

sorry i just re read your original post and saw that you said that you were terrified of your diagnosis. i hope you have settled with it? there are lots of books out there that help. 'an unquiet mind - kay redfield jameson' , the mindful way through depression, the family silver, to name but a few. best of luck with your therapist appointment. i had a gp about twelve years ago who said that if i had asthma or diabetes i wouldn't hesitate to treat it nor would i be terrified of it or embarassed by it. thinking of you today.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:15 PM   #12
(female)

bright12 HB User

Thank you very much. I will definitely pick up some of those books. I have calmed down about the diagnosis and my therapy appt went really well. I really like her and she helped my to understand my diagnosis better. Thanks again!

Old 04-14-2009, 02:26 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

Bright,

I would sing the "Don't Worry Be Happy" song for you,but I guess it doesn't apply, the point is don't be terrified, you'll get through it and adjust, just like we all have to, or have had to. It just takes some time. Don't rush yourself,you'll be fine. We're all here for you, if you need us just give a shout.

kat

Old 04-14-2009, 11:28 PM   #14
(female)

evangeline11 HB User

Bright- It took me so long to accept that I had BP- even though it was so textbook- so I'm relieved for you that you arent wasting time fighting it. I really fought it for 2 solid years before I accepted it and made it so much harder on myself.

Another great book is DETOUR: My Bipolar Road Trip by Lizzie Simon, it was one of the first I read about BP.

Old 04-15-2009, 12:33 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

irishwriter HB User
Thumbs up Re: Need Advice

Quote:
Thank you very much. I will definitely pick up some of those books. I have calmed down about the diagnosis and my therapy appt went really well. I really like her and she helped my to understand my diagnosis better. Thanks again!
bright,

am v. glad your therapy session was good. it makes such a difference and am also glad she helped you understand this disease. it can be managed, it just takes time sometimes to find the right meds because each person is so different. glad you liked her too. are you on any meds at the moment?

iw

Closed Thread