It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2009, 11:16 PM   #1
(female)

Angelinchat2 HB User
As you can see....

I am up ... and wide awake I sure hope this is not going to start over again. Please tell me that it doesn't do that I am not sure I can handle another round so soon. I have taken 2 of the zprexa like she gave me the first time on it...heck I'm not even yawning! But when I stepped on scale today I just about freaked...gained 10lbs? I only been taking it for a week. Can it make you gain that much in such short amount of time? And if it does, I am going to call her scream...

Hashimotos
IBS/Gerd
Bipolar
PTSD
Panic and Anxiety Attacks
lower back/hip/leg pain being checked

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2009, 11:18 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User
Re: As you can see....

I've heard some people on Zyprexa gain weight fast. I'm actually getting sleppy between the clonozapem and the neurontin.

kat

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2009, 11:19 PM   #3
(female)

caitlin122 HB User

I don't know about zyprexa making you gain weight, as when i was on it i didn't gain any weight, but i understand your frustration about not being able to sleep. i take xanax to sleep, and just like tonight, i take it and not even a yawn like said. being able to not sleep is ont of the worst feelings. you get anxious because you know you should sleep, but when you can't you get irritated, then you get angry because you ddint sleep. it happnes a lot

Old 04-08-2009, 11:20 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

light the world HB User

I was on Zyprexa for about 3 weeks back in November. I gained 30 pound in total from it. It is supposed to be one of the worst meds for weight gain I'm afraid. I hope your able to get some sleep. I know how it feels to not get any. I was once not able to sleep for about a week straight I think. But I was given melatonin which seems to be working.

Meds: Clonazepam 4mg, Seroquel 200mg

Old 04-08-2009, 11:20 PM   #5
(female)

Angelinchat2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlin09 View Post
I've heard some people on Zyprexa gain weight fast. I'm actually getting sleppy between the clonozapem and the neurontin.

kat
Kat that is awesome...I think maybe if I get up and get busy then I'll tire myself out. I will stop taking that stuff it is gonna make me gain 10 lbs every week lol

Hashimotos
IBS/Gerd
Bipolar
PTSD

Old 04-08-2009, 11:22 PM   #6
(female)

Angelinchat2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by caitlin122 View Post
I don't know about zyprexa making you gain weight, as when i was on it i didn't gain any weight, but i understand your frustration about not being able to sleep. i take xanax to sleep, and just like tonight, i take it and not even a yawn like said. being able to not sleep is ont of the worst feelings. you get anxious because you know you should sleep, but when you can't you get irritated, then you get angry because you ddint sleep. it happnes a lot
Caitlin,
Your so right about feeling anxious and then getting mad...I'm there grrrrr.

Hashimotos
IBS/Gerd
Bipolar
PTSD

Old 04-08-2009, 11:26 PM   #7
(female)

Angelinchat2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by under View Post
I was on Zyprexa for about 3 weeks back in November. I gained 30 pound in total from it. It is supposed to be one of the worst meds for weight gain I'm afraid. I hope your able to get some sleep. I know how it feels to not get any. I was once not able to sleep for about a week straight I think. But I was given melatonin which seems to be working.
ewwwww 30lbs in 3 weeks. I will stop taking them...I only like about 17lbs being 200lbs...and I'm short so I'm starting to look like a rolly polly . And I just went through 8 days with only 17 hours sleep for 8 days. My body can't do another..I am getting tooo old for this crap...lol

Hashimotos
IBS/Gerd
Bipolar
PTSD

Old 04-08-2009, 11:31 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

light the world HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelinchat2 View Post
ewwwww 30lbs in 3 weeks. I will stop taking them...I only like about 17lbs being 200lbs...and I'm short so I'm starting to look like a rolly polly . And I just went through 8 days with only 17 hours sleep for 8 days. My body can't do another..I am getting tooo old for this crap...lol
Well if it works it works. There are other antipsychotics you could try. Seroquel is a good one if your trying to get to sleep. Seroquel has a really heavy sedation to it. Its usually really good for people who have bipolar and have this schedule where they can't sleep. Anyways if you don't want to continue the Zyprexa I'd call your pdoc and see what he/she could do.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:36 PM   #9
(female)

Angelinchat2 HB User

That I will do tomorrow. It is too hard for a woman my age (43) to just up and lose all that weight like I was when I was say early 30's. In 6 yrs I have gained 60 lbs and I do not seem to be able to get it down. I know part of it probably is due to my thyroid also being wacky....sigh

Hashimotos
IBS/Gerd
Bipolar
PTSD

Last edited by Angelinchat2; 04-09-2009 at 02:34 PM.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:41 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

irishwriter HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by caitlin122 View Post
caitlin

every pill i touch, look at, take seems to make me gain weight. when i'm not taking any meds it just goes away. am so tired of it all. i give up.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:56 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

light the world HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelinchat2 View Post
That I will do tomorrow. It is too hard for a woman my age (43) to just up and lose all that weight like I was when I was say early 30's. In 6 yrs I have gained 60 lbs and I do not seem to be able to get it down. I know part of it probably is due to my throid also being wacky....sigh
I must add though if your thinking of seroquel it can still have that weight gain side effect. Its just not as heavy as the Zyprexa. Geoden or Risperadol are the two best in terms of the newe antipsychotics that have less of a weight gain for a side effect.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:15 PM   #12
(female)

bluegreensky HB User

i was on zyprexa for 3 years, worked very well for bp but i gained 132lbs in that period..im on serequel 600mg at night now to help me sleep and have been gaining a steady 2lbs a week...i discussed with pdoc about going onto geodon when stable again..will see how it goes...risperdal has way too many side effects so pdoc not keen on that...

Old 04-09-2009, 02:38 PM   #13
(female)

Angelinchat2 HB User

Lots going on here this morning or else I would have posted this as soon as my pdoc and I talked. We talked about my wieght gain...she even said what about 10 -12 lbs of gaining? She could tell I was super upset...almost in tears. She said hun I had not meant for you to stay on it but for about a week so that we could get your manic state under control. So I am not taking zyprexa anymore...YIPPIE!! She did put me back on klonopin...1mg just to help take the edge off that anxious feelings when I get that way or if in a panic state. I have not set time to take it. She just give me a 10 day supply. I told her that is what I prefer since I am a person that can come addicted to things pretty easy.

Hashimotos
IBS/Gerd
Bipolar
PTSD

Closed Thread