It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2009, 10:21 PM   #1
(female)

Elf_Ears HB User
Risperdal helping me sleep

Wow, I slept 8 hours last night after taking rispedal. I'm glad I called my pdoc. I was worried about my hypomania, even though it was positive, but he was mostly concerned with my sleep.

I'm not 100% sure why my pdoc didn't adjust my lamictal, or add anything besides .25mg Risperdal. I've continued to have positive hypomania for 4 days now. I'm liking it, generally feeling happy, a little giddy maybe some of the time. And creative! DH is wanting me to write a fantasy book from all the ideas I share with him. But I'm afraid of it going negative, fast. I just don't have a good pattern to recognize yet.

I should sleep now, but I'm enjoying the final quiet of my house. Tomorrow is a potentially stressful day for my daughter. She's introducing her Eastern Indian boyfriend to some of our extended relatives. I feel kinda sorry for him. It's like Show and Tell. Oh well, her turn will come...

Ok, I'm yawning like crazy here The Risperdal is kicking in. G'night all...

Old 04-11-2009, 05:56 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User
Re: Risperdal helping me sleep

Elf,

Perhaps your pdoc wanted to see how well Risperdal worked in helping you sleep before making changes to your Lamictal. It's always best to add or change one med at a time so that your pdoc can see exactly what meds aren't working appropriately. If he prescribed .25mg Risperdal, increased your Lamictal and/or added another med, it would have been more difficult for him to determine this. In my case, my old pdoc added Fluoxetine to my regimen in January. When I wasn't experiencing any positive results, he decided to add Clonazepam on a PRN basis to help control my rapid cycling. I'm glad this was the approach he took because if he would have added Clonazepam at the same time he prescribed Fluoxetine, it would have been difficult to determine which med was not working.
Prozac 40mg
Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2009, 06:26 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB User

Elf,

It's strange that you say you Hypomanic but yet your sleepign 8 hrs.....I know even on sleeping meds when I'm hypomanic or manic I don't sleep.

kat

Old 04-11-2009, 06:29 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlin09 View Post
Elf,

It's strange that you say you Hypomanic but yet your sleepign 8 hrs.....I know even on sleeping meds when I'm hypomanic or manic I don't sleep.

kat
If Elf started taking Risperdal, it's very possible for her to be hypomanic and sleep for 8 hours since sleepiness is a side effect of this med. I know when I started taking Risperdal, it made me extremely drowsy.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 04-12-2009, 05:42 AM   #5
(female)

Elf_Ears HB User

I wrote that after one night. Sadly, the following 2 nights I was up til 1:30 and 2. I have to work in the church nursery this morning, and woke up feeling like I had a hangover, which I didn't. (maybe from desserts from a soiree we hosted last night ) Still, after 20 mins, I'm feeling pretty good. This is my usual pattern lately - 4-5 nights of 5-6 hrs sleep, waking up alert, then flagging in the evening after 11, but still part of me can't sleep. Then I'll wake up feeling wiped out on day 5 or 6, and feel normal within 15-20 mins.

My sleep pattern was this way for about 1 week at the end of Jan, when my brother's wife, 38, died of pancreatic cancer. So I thought is was emotional insomnia. I still think it was, but my tendency has always been to sleep less when under any stress, and sometimes when there is no stress.

I used to feel frustrated because I didn't want to get sick from lack of sleep, then I found that I did pretty well. So now when I wake up after 5-6 hrs, I just get up and start the day w/o feeling irritated about the lack of sleep. I tell myself, "You can cat-nap later. " But I rarely do. I think my worry comes from always making sure my kids got all their sleep, and I'm applying that to myself. Also, dh often sleeps 8-1/2-9 hrs, and I compare myself to him and think, "I'm not going to function as well." He is an amazing ponderer, with a long attention spanable to read for hours every day, if he can. I can't even read a book or watch a movie for more that 30 mins w/o getting squirrelly. (Actually, change that to 12 mins for a book.)

I noticed something yesterday. I was "overheating" and knew I needed down time. But because of the busyness of the household and company, I couldn't. So I did something I've often done, starting phoning friends and relatives so that I could fold laundry and chat at the same time. This is how I like to do housework, and I think that's normal. But I had an almost panicky need to talk to someone, even though half of me didn't have the emotional energy to. Is this a problem for with of you? Fortunately for me, dh took all the kids and company bowling for 2 hrs, and I was able t be alone in the house, and actually watch a movie for 45 mins. But not until I got some housework done.

BTW, I'm noticing a dizziness over the last 5 days, along with the highs/restlessness. Is that part of hypomania?

Old 04-12-2009, 05:44 AM   #6
(female)

Elf_Ears HB User

BTW, Happy Easter, if you celebrate it. There were five baskets on our dr table this morning. I heard the Easter Bunny filling them at 1:45am

Old 04-12-2009, 07:34 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elf_Ears View Post
BTW, I'm noticing a dizziness over the last 5 days, along with the highs/restlessness. Is that part of hypomania?
I've never heard of dizziness being a symptom of hypomania, but I could be wrong. I suspect that your dizziness may be a side effect of Risperdal since you just started taking it.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 04-12-2009, 07:37 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elf_Ears View Post
But I had an almost panicky need to talk to someone, even though half of me didn't have the emotional energy to. Is this a problem for with of you?
When I'm manic, I tend to be very outgoing and flirtatious although I don't know if I would describe this as being a need to talk to someone. Due to my impulsive behaviors when manic (i.e. asking strangers for their phone numbers and e-mail addresses), I lock myself up in the house whenever I'm manic.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 04-12-2009, 12:01 PM   #9
(female)

bluegreensky HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams in neon View Post
I've never heard of dizziness being a symptom of hypomania, but I could be wrong. I suspect that your dizziness may be a side effect of Risperdal since you just started taking it.
dizziness is a definately a side-effect...check out this link for a complete list of side-effects...it's quite long

http://www.*****.com/drugs/drug-9846-Risperdal+Oral.aspx?drugid=9846&drugname =Risperdal+Oral&pagenumber=6

Old 04-12-2009, 10:01 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB User

Risperadol made my hubby way dizzy too.

kat

Closed Thread