It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2009, 04:26 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

FisforFozzy HB User
Staying friends with tdoc.

Do you think it's possible to become friends w/your tdoc after terminating your therapy? Not in a romantic sense.....just, pals? Or is this a ghastly ethical breach of conduct?

Old 04-11-2009, 04:52 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB User
Re: Staying friends with tdoc.

I can't imagine that a doc would feel comfortable continuing a non-professional relationship after your care was not in his/her hands, especially if they were of the opposite sex. This just sounds like something that might be considered unethical in regards to the patient/dr. code. I mean why would you want to, knowing that they know everything about you, every little nook and cranny of your mental "house" so to speak. It just seems like a wierd thing to do, but that's just my opinion.

kat

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2009, 06:31 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

FisforFozzy HB User

I don't see how it's that much "weirder" of a desire than to desperately miss working with someone you get along well with. It seems very human to me to want to avoid the pain of severing a very intimate relationship, and to search for any way (illogical or not) around breaking that tie. I guess the problem is that the intimacy is really one-sided here.

Last edited by FisforFozzy; 04-11-2009 at 06:32 PM.

Old 04-11-2009, 06:43 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB User

Honestly being frank the way you talk about searchign for any way, illogical or not, sounds kind of stalkerish, and I'm sure you don't mean it that way. But I just can't imagine a professional Psychologist or Psychiatrist agreeing to 1. becoming a friend to one of their ex-patients, because lets face it, you were never friends, you were dr. and patient, and 2. contiuing to seeing an ex-patient on a social basis after the dr. patient relationship has been severed, 3. this was never meant to be an "intimate" relationship, I mean yeah it's great and preferrable if you get along well with your pdocs and tdocs, but at the end of the day, their still just your doctors.

I'm sure it would be strange for them with all that they know about you, it would most likely be very uncomfortable for them.

kat

Old 04-11-2009, 06:47 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FisforFozzy View Post
Do you think it's possible to become friends w/your tdoc after terminating your therapy? Not in a romantic sense.....just, pals? Or is this a ghastly ethical breach of conduct?
I know someone who continues to be friends with her tdoc after they stopped seeing each other due to insurance reasons. I see nothing wrong with this as long as the tdoc feels comfortable maintaining a friendly relationship.
Prozac 40mg
Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Old 04-11-2009, 07:10 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

light the world HB User

I don't see anything wrong with seeing a tdoc after your therapy is done. As long as the tdoc is ok with.
I know I used to see a social worker at my old school on a regular basis because of my anxiety. I know longer see her but we still stay in contact.

Meds: Clonazepam 4mg, Seroquel 200mg

Old 04-11-2009, 07:32 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

FisforFozzy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlin09 View Post
Honestly being frank the way you talk about searchign for any way, illogical or not, sounds kind of stalkerish, and I'm sure you don't mean it that way.

kat
LOL. No, I didn't mean it that way. I meant searching for a psychological justification----not for any physical means. lol.

Anyway, yeah, I get you.

Old 04-11-2009, 07:56 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by under View Post
I don't see anything wrong with seeing a tdoc after your therapy is done. As long as the tdoc is ok with.
I know I used to see a social worker at my old school on a regular basis because of my anxiety. I know longer see her but we still stay in contact.
I still see a tactile interpeter (an interpeter who facilitates communication for a deafblind person) despite the fact that she has worked with me many times in the past. She's okay with this since I no longer use her services due to the fact that I now have cochlear implants.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 04-11-2009 at 07:57 PM.

Old 04-11-2009, 07:59 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

When I start practicing psychiatry, I do not plan to see any of my patients outside of the office setting since I do not feel comfortable with this arrangement.

However, I think every tdoc and pdoc has the right to decide this for themselves.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 04-11-2009 at 08:01 PM.

Old 04-11-2009, 08:11 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User

The therapists I've see all have had an adamant NO to this. There is something, too, about them not being allowed to associate for two years after termination.
I'd love to be a friend of two of them, but can't. Not for an intimate (emotionally, that is) relationship, just because we share the same interests.

Seaturtle

Old 04-11-2009, 08:29 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

As much as I love my tdoc, I would feel very uncomfortable asking him if we could maintain a friendly relationship after I stop seeing him as a patient.

I feel differently about my tactile interpreter though since (as Seaturtle said) we share many of the same interests.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 04-11-2009, 08:58 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by under View Post
Ummm....yeah but probably in a student teacher/social worker type way, isn't she quite a bit older than you?? I mean would you really call yourselves friends? Like going out for pizza, taking in movie hangig out at each other's houses friends?

That's the question that's on the table here.

kat

Old 04-11-2009, 09:01 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams in neon View Post
I still see a tactile interpeter (an interpeter who facilitates communication for a deafblind person) despite the fact that she has worked with me many times in the past. She's okay with this since I no longer use her services due to the fact that I now have cochlear implants.
Once again though isn't that apples and oranges? You have to admit that there is a big difference between regular doctors and Psych Docs.....it's just a whole difference dimention and relationship.

And an interpretor many people are very good friends with their iterpretor because they have to spend so much time with them.

k

Old 04-11-2009, 09:05 PM   #14
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB User

I've played on a softball team with my GP, as a hitter, and had a runner for me, it was her idea, and I was totally comfortable with it....but would never in a million years be comfortable doing anything like that with either my pdoc or tdoc, and I love both of them and wouldn'tchange them in a millionyears. I don't know, I just couldn't imagine any professional pdoc or tdoc beingcomfortable with that type of arrangement.

kat

Old 04-11-2009, 09:15 PM   #15
Inactive
(female)

FisforFozzy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlin09 View Post
I've played on a softball team with my GP, as a hitter, and had a runner for me, it was her idea, and I was totally comfortable with it....but would never in a million years be comfortable doing anything like that with either my pdoc or tdoc, and I love both of them and wouldn'tchange them in a millionyears. I don't know, I just couldn't imagine any professional pdoc or tdoc beingcomfortable with that type of arrangement.

kat
Okie-dokey. Thank you, kat. You have been very thorough in your explanation of your adamant "it's a no-go" stance. It's a sub-par idea. I think I've got it.

Closed Thread