It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2009, 08:55 AM   #1
(male)

confused808 HB User
Bipolar? Psychosis? Old curse envy?

Good Day to all!

My wife was admitted at the hospital again for what the Dr. would say is Bipolar. This is her 2nd time hospitalized, with the first one being Psychosis NOS. Now she has three medications, Lithium, Ambilify (only for a month) and Restoril (for sleeping). Since, everything seems to be lost for now, I have a few questions:

1. Family History - She does not have any family history of this illness - could this be another misdiagnosis again?
2. Cure - I heard a lot of bad things about Bipolar - Any insights on this?

I am getting alot of pressure from her family because they really think that this is some sort of curse/craft put onto her (yes they believe that).

Any Help is greatly appreciated

Old 04-13-2009, 12:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User
Re: Bipolar? Psychosis? Old curse envy?

There are several different diagnoses a person can have when schizophrenic symptoms co-exist with bipolar. They include schizoaffective disorder, BPI or II with psychotic features, bipolar NOS (not otherwise specified) and atypical bipolar.

One does not need to have a family history of bipolar in order to be diagnosed with the disorder. Stress as well as other environmental factors can cause a manic and/or depressive episode. In my case, stress, the death of my mother, anethesia and the loss of my residual hearing after cochlear implant surgery were all responsible for my first manic/psychotic episode in 2006 and my diagnosis of bipolar.

As for cures, there is no cure for bipolar. However, it can be treated with meds. While a person may still experience manic and/or depressive episodes while on meds, meds reduce the frequency and severity of symptoms. Some people who are on meds are stable enough that they no longer experience manic or depressive episodes.

I've been hearing voices since 1991. If you have any questions about auditory hallucinations or what your wife may have been experiencing, let me know and I will be more than happy to answer them.

I take 6mg/day of Risperdal and just started this med recently. Thanks to this med, I haven't heard any voices for the first time since 1991.
Prozac 40mg
Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2009, 12:11 PM   #3
(male)

confused808 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams in neon View Post
There are several different diagnoses a person can have when schizophrenic symptoms co-exist with bipolar. They include schizoaffective disorder, BPI or II with psychotic features, bipolar NOS (not otherwise specified) and atypical bipolar.

One does not need to have a family history of bipolar in order to be diagnosed with the disorder. Stress as well as other environmental factors can cause a manic and/or depressive episode. In my case, stress, the death of my mother, anethesia and the loss of my residual hearing after cochlear implant surgery were all responsible for my first manic/psychotic episode in 2006 and my diagnosis of bipolar.

As for cures, there is no cure for bipolar. However, it can be treated with meds. While a person may still experience manic and/or depressive episodes while on meds, meds reduce the frequency and severity of symptoms. Some people who are on meds are stable enough that they no longer experience manic or depressive episodes.

I've been hearing voices since 1991. If you have any questions about auditory hallucinations or what your wife may have been experiencing, let me know and I will be more than happy to answer them.

I take 6mg/day of Risperdal and just started this med recently. Thanks to this med, I haven't heard any voices for the first time since 1991.

Hmmm.. All I know is that she is always

1. Thinking Negative
2. Thinks she is better off dead
3. Thinking alot of the past

She was fine after her initial hospitalization, but when stress at her work came up, she all of a sudden became angry and agitated. She was screaming at something and acted like she was talking to somebody but nobody was there. I am really concerned because we have kids.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:17 PM   #4
(male)

confused808 HB User

Hi All.

Since my wife's latest relapse, I am really scared and concerned that when she goes back to her line of work that she might aggravate her condition again. I felt vulnerable the last time when she relapse that I felt that my kids are not safe with her. With that said, can my wife file for disability for her current condition? I have a feeling that my wife will never be mentally tough again to battle the stress and rigors of working.

Please advise.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:45 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yes, it is possible for your wife to file for disability. For more information, contact Social Security. Be aware that the first application you file will most likely be denied, but subsequent applications may not be. Also, if she is seeing a therapist and psychiatrist, ask them for documentation which describes how her symptoms negatively affect her ability to work. The more supportive documentation you can receive, the better.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 04-14-2009 at 12:46 PM.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:48 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by confused808 View Post
Hmmm.. All I know is that she is always

1. Thinking Negative
2. Thinks she is better off dead
3. Thinking alot of the past

She was fine after her initial hospitalization, but when stress at her work came up, she all of a sudden became angry and agitated. She was screaming at something and acted like she was talking to somebody but nobody was there. I am really concerned because we have kids.
Do you and your wife attend her psychiatrist appointments together? If so, you may want to write a list of symptoms you notice her exhibiting and give this to her doctor.

Is your wife on any meds? It sounds as if she may be experiencing depression. If she isn't bipolar, anti-depressants may be helpful.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 04-14-2009 at 12:49 PM.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:56 PM   #7
(male)

confused808 HB User

Do you and your wife attend her psychiatrist appointments together? If so, you may want to write a list of symptoms you notice her exhibiting and give this to her doctor.

Is your wife on any meds? It sounds as if she may be experiencing depression. If she isn't bipolar, anti-depressants may be helpful.

- Yes, I do attend all her appointments and have a ready list for anything that goes on with her. She just recently exhibited the said relapse but this time the relapse was a violent one.

1. She was screaming like she was talking to somebody
2. All the contents of her anger was towards her parents, her friends, what happened in the past

She is under Ambilify (for a month) and Lithium as well as a sleeping pill.

What really rattled me is that all the things that came out of her mouth was everything that happened in the past, her past issues etc but like I said, she was extremely violent.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:57 PM   #8
(male)

confused808 HB User

Quote:
Yes, it is possible for your wife to file for disability. For more information, contact Social Security. Be aware that the first application you file will most likely be denied, but subsequent applications may not be. Also, if she is seeing a therapist and psychiatrist, ask them for documentation which describes how her symptoms negatively affect her ability to work. The more supportive documentation you can receive, the better.
Oh wow - her Dr told her to go back to work next week but I am afraid that she will have another relapse again - like I said, I don't think my wife can function normally again. I will def contact the SS office to see if this can be done.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:55 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Oh wow - her Dr told her to go back to work next week but I am afraid that she will have another relapse again - like I said, I don't think my wife can function normally again. I will def contact the SS office to see if this can be done.
Many people are able to maintain employment despite having a mental illness which includes psychosis while some are not. I can't make a judgement about your wife either way since I'm not a psychiatrist, but I would recommend that you contact Social Security. You have nothing to lose by doing so. Good luck!
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 04-14-2009 at 02:55 PM.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:58 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
- Yes, I do attend all her appointments and have a ready list for anything that goes on with her. She just recently exhibited the said relapse but this time the relapse was a violent one.

1. She was screaming like she was talking to somebody
2. All the contents of her anger was towards her parents, her friends, what happened in the past

She is under Ambilify (for a month) and Lithium as well as a sleeping pill.

What really rattled me is that all the things that came out of her mouth was everything that happened in the past, her past issues etc but like I said, she was extremely violent.
I wonder if she has PTSD since it's common for people to become angry or fearful when they are triggered by sounds or situations in their environment. I have PTSD myself and experience flashbacks whenever I hear certain sounds. During my flashbacks I also hear the voices of my abusers and can become very combative if someone tries to touch me during this time.

As for the Abilify your wife is taking, that may help the voices she hears or the images she sees, but it might take awhile for it to start working since she has only been on this med for 4 weeks. Sometimes it can take 6-8 weeks before someone notices a reduction in their symptoms.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 04-14-2009 at 03:02 PM.

Old 04-14-2009, 05:53 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB User

Quote:
Honestly, it can take several years for disability to be approved.

kat

Old 04-14-2009, 11:43 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlin09 View Post
Honestly, it can take several years for disability to be approved.

kat
Not if he works with a lawyer that specializes in Social Security disability.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 04-20-2009, 02:50 PM   #13
(male)

confused808 HB User

Quote:
I wonder if she has PTSD since it's common for people to become angry or fearful when they are triggered by sounds or situations in their environment. I have PTSD myself and experience flashbacks whenever I hear certain sounds. During my flashbacks I also hear the voices of my abusers and can become very combative if someone tries to touch me during this time.

As for the Abilify your wife is taking, that may help the voices she hears or the images she sees, but it might take awhile for it to start working since she has only been on this med for 4 weeks. Sometimes it can take 6-8 weeks before someone notices a reduction in their symptoms.
Hmmm....maybe..i am hoping for a diagnosis and the Dr. just gave us that answer. All I know is that she felt paranoid, she always thinks negative..then on the day we rushed her to the hospital, she was sweating profusely, did not sleep, had a blank stare..then she was screaming and really was like talking to somebody and recollecting all the past while having an imaginary person that she was arguing with.

Old 04-20-2009, 02:59 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Hmmm....maybe..i am hoping for a diagnosis and the Dr. just gave us that answer. All I know is that she felt paranoid, she always thinks negative..then on the day we rushed her to the hospital, she was sweating profusely, did not sleep, had a blank stare..then she was screaming and really was like talking to somebody and recollecting all the past while having an imaginary person that she was arguing with.
You might want to ask for further clarification on her diagnosis.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 04-20-2009, 03:07 PM   #15
(male)

confused808 HB User

Quote:
You might want to ask for further clarification on her diagnosis.
That's what the Dr. told me.

Closed Thread