It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2009, 12:11 PM   #1
(female)

wyowyome HB User

Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum. Just looking to make a few online friends who understand bipolar issues. I was dx a year ago- been affected all my life. Thought it was depression or anxiety- couldn't figure out why antidepressants didn't help or why I became manic when I bumped up their dose!! NEVER considered bipolar disorder. "Those" people are crazy..... Couldn't be me! Well, now I have come to accept it- can't believe I didn't recognize the symptoms ALL THOSE YEARS! At least now I have a direction to seek help with with things get low. Hope to find some people to relate to! Thanks!

Old 04-13-2009, 12:21 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User
Re: Newbie

Welcome to the board!

I was diagnosed with bipolar 3 years ago at the age of 35, but my pdoc and tdoc think I've been showing clear symptoms of the disorder since age 20.

When I think back, I experienced manic episodes during my teens, but didn't know it since I had no idea what mania was.

I'm just glad to be diagnosed and am not someone who goes their entire lives showing signs of bipolar without being diagnosed.
Prozac 40mg
Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Last edited by dreams in neon; 04-13-2009 at 12:21 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2009, 01:59 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

FisforFozzy HB User

Hey there, wyowyome. Welcome! I'm new here too. I was misdiagnosed for many years as well, and like you, given medicine that only exacerbated the problem. I wonder how common this is? Anyway, hi!

Old 04-13-2009, 02:02 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FisforFozzy View Post
Hey there, wyowyome. Welcome! I'm new here too. I was misdiagnosed for many years as well, and like you, given medicine that only exacerbated the problem. I wonder how common this is? Anyway, hi!
It's very common for people to be misdiagnosed.

In my case, I've had 5 diagnoses over the past 18 years. (major depressive disorder, schizoaffective disorder, rapid cycling BPI, atypical BPI with ultradian rapid cycling and PTSD)
Prozac 40mg
Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Old 04-13-2009, 02:42 PM   #5
(female)

kellyn HB User

Hi! and welcome! i'm a newbie too. i was also misdiagnosed as having depression and given anti-depressants which really sent me out of control. it's definitely tricky given that people are more likely to go to the doc when they're depressed than when they're manic. i've been diagnosed now for 3 years, and just started coming to the site. it's really nice to finally find some people with which i can share my experiences given that i really have no one else that i've shared my diagnosis with. glad you finally got the appropriate diagnosis and hopefully a more effective treatment!

Old 04-13-2009, 03:56 PM   #6
(female)

wyowyome HB User

Thanks for all your replies! I will be around- probably sometimes more often and sometimes not (the nature of my bipolar beast...) Hope to get to know some of you, offer my support, and receive support wherever applicable.

Old 04-13-2009, 05:12 PM   #7
(female)

caitlin122 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyowyome View Post
Thanks for all your replies! I will be around- probably sometimes more often and sometimes not (the nature of my bipolar beast...) Hope to get to know some of you, offer my support, and receive support wherever applicable.
welcome to the board! it's a great place for support

Old 04-15-2009, 11:44 AM   #8
(female)

mom3x HB User

HI I am a newbie too. I am here because my 15yr old son is on a downward spiral. A year ago he tried to kill himself. He has been seeing a pdoc since but in the last 6-8wks he is raging anger, mixed with wanting to sleep all the time. He wants nothing to do with school or sports both of which he loved a few months ago. He has several great friends but insists on clinging to one who tells him he is on sugar pills or meds to make him be controlled by his evil parents. He refuses to take meds at times and today refuses to go to the doctor. He is a big kid 6'3" and 200 lbs so we can't really muscle him. I don't know what to do.

Closed Thread