It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2009, 03:27 PM   #1
(male)

BrownCore HB User
Benzodiazepines.

Hey, everyone...I guess I'll introduce myself.
My name is Francois, 21 years old, and I live in Orange County, New York.

I'm currently taking:

150 mg Lamictal ( 75 + 75) - My white blood cell count was found to be low last month, so I may have to come off of this if it does not correct itself.

20 mg Celexa, which will probably be increased.

600 mg Seroquel, at bedtime.

Depression, as most of you will understand, is my main issue.
I credit the Seroquel for helping quite a bit with that, but I still feel that I am undermedicated.

When the severe anxious/depressed mood swings hit me, I'm pretty much defenseless against them...the only thing I can do is try to sleep through the worst of it...which is what I did last night. I suffer, but I get through it.

This is where my questions come in:
A: What are you taking?
B: What are your experiences with benzodiazepines?

Are they useful when used as needed in situations like these?
Which ones have you tried?

Give me an idea of what to expect, and how I should go about getting an rx from my doctor if these should in fact help me.

Thanks a lot.

-Francois

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2009, 06:25 PM   #2
(female)

caitlin122 HB User
Re: Benzodiazepines.

Welcome to the board Francois.
I take Lamictal 50mg, Effexor XR 75 mg both once a day, and Xanax .5 mg at night to sleep. You'll find this board really helpful for advice and encouragement. I have only been on Lamictal for a little over a month, so I don't really know it's effect on me yet, especially since I have had numerous devestations in the past month. I have fallen into a really bad depression, and my life keeps getting worse, so my depression is not letting up.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2009, 07:47 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

light the world HB User

I take ativan for my anxiety. 4mg a day. I'm also allowed to take 2mg extra if I ever needed it. Its a high dose though. When I used to take clonazepam though I found it was a lot more helpful for my anxiety. I also wouldn't have to take as much of it. It was also great for helping me sleep. I had to switch to ativan though.

If your thinking about getting a benzodiazepam you can get it from a gp or a psychiatrist.

Meds: Clonazepam 4mg, Seroquel 200mg

Old 04-13-2009, 10:14 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Francois,

Benzo's tend to add to depression. Per your post I'm not sure why you want to take it. Did someone reccomend it to you? I have BiPolar with severe med resistand BiPolar Suicidal Depression. My current cocktail is Laimictal 300mg, Abilify 10mg, Buspar 45mg, Trazadone 200mg, Neurontin 600mg, Wellbutrin SR 300mg, Topamax 100mg, and Clonazapam 1.5mg. Lot's of drugs and still barely touch the depression when it crosses into the suicidal ideation range. The only reason I take the Benzo clonazapam is for 1. Sleep at nigth, and 2. SH/SI urge control during the day. I also take Vit. D, Centrum Silver, and Biotin, these are all prescribed by my pdoc, whom I see 1 to 2 times a week, I also see a tdoc once a week. I also take 2 heavy duty narcotics, oxycontin and percocet, for chronic pain, and these can be depression causing so I have to be careful of al these things. So as for taking benzo's when your depressed, unless there is some specific reason you need to take them, you have to watch out for them increasing your depression.

Like you I used to take a massive dose of Seroquel at night but the hand tremors and loss of "grasp" got to be too bad, so I had to stop. I was at 550mg. when we stopped it. I use some now on a prn basis if I just need to sleep and i'm totally desperate. I generally don't fall asleep until 4:ish or 5:00.

If there are any other questions we can answer, please do not hesitate to ask, we will answer if we can.

kat

Old 04-13-2009, 10:21 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

[QUOTE=under;3954804]I take ativan for my anxiety. 4mg a day. I'm also allowed to take 2mg extra if I ever needed it. Its a high dose though. When I used to take clonazepam though I found it was a lot more helpful for my anxiety. I also wouldn't have to take as much of it. It was also great for helping me sleep. I had to switch to ativan though.

If your thinking about getting a benzodiazepam you can get it from a gp or a psychiatrist.[/QUOTE/]

Under, just a note, it seems that the OP is under a pdoc care with all the psych meds, and you never want to suggest that someone go to a GP to get benzo's if they are as that would be looked upon as doc shopping. Just an FYI.

Hope your sleeping is doing okay.

kat

Old 04-13-2009, 10:34 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

light the world HB User

Thanks for the clarification Kat. Your right that it would obviously be better to get benzos from a pdoc. To be honest I'm surprised gp's can give out benzos. Although I'm not up with all of the reasons for taking them.

My sleeping is doing ok but its a bit messed up. I usually get to sleep around 3:00am and sleep till 11-12:00 in the morning. I'm getting enough sleep but it really effects school.

Meds: Clonazepam 4mg, Seroquel 200mg

Last edited by light the world; 04-13-2009 at 10:35 PM.

Old 04-13-2009, 10:55 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

oh yeah sure GP's can give em, they toss em out like they're candy in our area, it's ridiculous.

kat

Old 04-13-2009, 10:57 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by under View Post
Thanks for the clarification Kat. Your right that it would obviously be better to get benzos from a pdoc. To be honest I'm surprised gp's can give out benzos. Although I'm not up with all of the reasons for taking them.

My sleeping is doing ok but its a bit messed up. I usually get to sleep around 3:00am and sleep till 11-12:00 in the morning. I'm getting enough sleep but it really effects school.
I'z fixing to say, "dude that's like 8 hrs. a night!" I'd kill for half of that. I still do the 4 or 4:30 until 9 with one 35 min interuption to ge my son off to school.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:32 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User

My med regimen consists of 1500mg Depakote, 20mg Fluoxetine, 6mg/day Risperdal, 100mg or 300mg PRN Trazodone and .5mg Clonazepam PRN.

I take .5mg Clonazepam 2x/day (although lately I've been able to decrease this to once/day) to help control my rapid cycling and it's working like a charm. It also helps reduce the intensity of my voices as well as anxiety associated with my PTSD flashbacks.

I took Clonazepam once when I was depressed and found that it did not make me feel worse. If anything, it made me feel better since I was able to calm down and avoid rapid cycling into agitation.
Prozac 40mg
Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Last edited by dreams in neon; 04-14-2009 at 12:35 AM.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:46 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

irishwriter HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownCore View Post
Hey, everyone...I guess I'll introduce myself.
My name is Francois, 21 years old, and I live in Orange County, New York.

I'm currently taking:

150 mg Lamictal ( 75 + 75) - My white blood cell count was found to be low last month, so I may have to come off of this if it does not correct itself.

20 mg Celexa, which will probably be increased.

600 mg Seroquel, at bedtime.

Depression, as most of you will understand, is my main issue.
I credit the Seroquel for helping quite a bit with that, but I still feel that I am undermedicated.

When the severe anxious/depressed mood swings hit me, I'm pretty much defenseless against them...the only thing I can do is try to sleep through the worst of it...which is what I did last night. I suffer, but I get through it.

This is where my questions come in:
A: What are you taking?
B: What are your experiences with benzodiazepines?

Are they useful when used as needed in situations like these?
Which ones have you tried?

Give me an idea of what to expect, and how I should go about getting an rx from my doctor if these should in fact help me.

Thanks a lot.

-Francois
hi francois,

i am taking lamictal 400, lexapro 20, thyroxine 150, klonopin .5 three times/day, xanax .5 three times/day as needed and eltrptophan 1000. the only ones i find helpful for depression and anxiety are klonopin, thyroxine and xanax. with anxiety kind of under control the depression lessens a little and i sleep a little better. good luck with gp help. i hope you find combo that works for you.

iw

Old 04-14-2009, 08:18 PM   #11
(male)

BrownCore HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishwriter View Post
hi francois,

i am taking lamictal 400, lexapro 20, thyroxine 150, klonopin .5 three times/day, xanax .5 three times/day as needed and eltrptophan 1000. the only ones i find helpful for depression and anxiety are klonopin, thyroxine and xanax. with anxiety kind of under control the depression lessens a little and i sleep a little better. good luck with gp help. i hope you find combo that works for you.

iw
This is the effect I have read about/hoped for.

With the anxiety lessened, the suicidal thinking would hopefully subside...even just a little bit.

I'll take anything I can get.

I started seeing a PDoc almost 2 years ago.

I understand it can take even longer to find the right cocktail...so I've been patient and waiting to see if antidepressants and such can curb the worst of it.

It really hasn't been...and I need something that makes it tolerable when the worst of it comes.

Old 04-15-2009, 12:42 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

As far as benzos are concerned, I've found that Klonopin also helps reduce my SH tendencies.

In fact, I haven't SHed since I started taking it a month ago.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 04-15-2009, 01:07 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

irishwriter HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownCore View Post
This is the effect I have read about/hoped for.

With the anxiety lessened, the suicidal thinking would hopefully subside...even just a little bit.

I'll take anything I can get.

I started seeing a PDoc almost 2 years ago.

I understand it can take even longer to find the right cocktail...so I've been patient and waiting to see if antidepressants and such can curb the worst of it.

It really hasn't been...and I need something that makes it tolerable when the worst of it comes.
hi again,

is your pdoc open to suggestions from you? usually antid's on their own make a bp person manic/suicidal (i believe that effexor xl caused extreme agitation which led to cutting) but used as a boost for a mood stabiliser like lamictal or eltryptophan they can help keep suicidal urges at bay. (so far i'm sometimes reluctantly still alive!) glad you are able to keep patience, i have been trying for years for the right combo but keep trying new ones so hopefully will get the cocktail right some day. we all still have off days/weeks etc so come on here and vent any time. take care. hope pdoc is good and kind to you. basic requirements!

iw

Old 04-15-2009, 01:11 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

irishwriter HB User
Thumbs up Re: Benzodiazepines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams in neon View Post
As far as benzos are concerned, I've found that Klonopin also helps reduce my SH tendencies.

In fact, I haven't SHed since I started taking it a month ago.
Dreams,

i wish it had that effect for me. if anything i have escalated during the last month/six weeks (very stressful times though) and am running out of room, have to wait for healing to find spaces again! wish i could stop. i won't be wearing a swimsuit any time soon!

iw

Old 04-15-2009, 02:24 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishwriter View Post
Dreams,

i wish it had that effect for me. if anything i have escalated during the last month/six weeks (very stressful times though) and am running out of room, have to wait for healing to find spaces again! wish i could stop. i won't be wearing a swimsuit any time soon!

iw
Have you talked to your tdoc about learning some techniques to help control your SH? My tdoc suggested that I keep a rubber band around my wrist and pull it whenever I feel like harming myself. He also recommended that I dip my arm in ice cold water to distract myself long enough so that I don't SH. Both of these techniques are widely recognized and used in DBT.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 04-15-2009 at 02:26 AM.

Closed Thread