It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2009, 01:46 PM   #1
(female)

bluegreensky HB User
Dissociation

Hi all, have any of you experienced dissociation in some form or another? Have you received treatment? What kind of treatment? I know that it is more common in people with PTSD and BPD, but I'm more interested in a form of it called 'depersonalization'...let it rip people...

blue

Old 04-14-2009, 02:18 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User
Re: Dissociation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegreensky View Post
Hi all, have any of you experienced dissociation in some form or another? Have you received treatment? What kind of treatment? I know that it is more common in people with PTSD and BPD, but I'm more interested in a form of it called 'depersonalization'...let it rip people...

blue
I experince dissasociation, my tdoc calls it "zoning out" my mind just "goes within itself" when it doesn't want to deal with the trauma from my PTSD. I also have absence seizures which is alot like the same thing, but have't had one in 2 years. So we're pretty sure that these days it's just my brain kicking into self preservation mode and dissasociating, so as not to have to deal with the memoriest of the PTSD.

I also dissasoiate when I cut (self harmwise) myself, I don't feel any pain at all, but when I accidently cut myself like a paper cut, or while I'm peeling vegges, then I feel it, it hurts like crap.

kat

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2009, 01:00 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

irishwriter HB User

Quote:

blue
Blue,

at the moment i feel v. detached from everyone and everything. is it something like that you're talking about? i just can't visualise beyond today.

iw.

Old 04-15-2009, 01:29 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User

I experience dissociation whenever I have a PTSD flashback. I haven't sought treatment for it yet, but I'm still in the beginning stages of PTSD exercises so it may take some time before I address this with my tdoc.

I also dissociate whenever I feel severely depressed. I'm unable to move, speak or think clearly which is why I completely separate myself from people and feel as if I'm in a different body than my own.
Prozac 40mg
Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Last edited by dreams in neon; 04-15-2009 at 01:31 AM.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:34 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

My most major Dissasociative state was when I repressed the memories of being molested as a child up until a year and a half ago, and then WHAM it just all came back and hit me like a ton of bricks. My pdoc explains it that my "mind" finally thought that is was safe enough to "remember" what had happened. Personally I'd have preferred to not have remembered it. Alot of this is what lends itself to the Borderline Personality Disorder diagnosis, this is what my pdoc and I talked about today. Apparantly that type of scenario is a perfect set-up for having BPD later in life..

kat

Old 04-15-2009, 07:58 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User

I have a Dissociative Disorder, too. I don't remember half of what I do, unless I write it down. I also have huge blank periods in my life when i don't remember anything at all (apparently, according to my therapist, I do remember at times, just am out of touch with those states of awareness that do.

iAs far as the kind of depersonalization and derealisation you refer to, oh, yes. I just "leave" mentally, or see myself at a distance, or feel like someone I don't know. Sometimes, I feel strangly unreal and don't really recognize the things around me (my own apartment, e.g.,) - everything seems strange and alien.

Is that kind of what you meant?

Old 04-15-2009, 08:13 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

FisforFozzy HB User

I'm not sure if this is what you mean, or if it even counts, but here goes:

sometimes during therapy, if the tdoc is trying to get me to open up about things that are difficult for me to talk about, (usually because the issue is just so affectively charged I feel like it would make me too vulnerable to get that emotional in front of another person), I feel myself leave my body. It's like I'm watching the session from the other side of the room. My entire memory of the session is from the other side of the room too----like I really did watch the whole thing from that perspective. It's bizarre. Another eerie part is that I seem to lose the ability to feel when this happens. Things that should very well make me incredibly sad have absolutely no impact on me. I hear myself talking, but I have no physical or emotional connection to the words----yet I know, logically, they belong to me. It blows my mind.

But no, I've never received treatment specifically for this. I've never even mentioned it before now. I didn't realize it happened to other people.

Last edited by FisforFozzy; 04-15-2009 at 08:14 PM.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:13 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

My tdoc says I've had PTSD for the past 20 years, but didn't know it for the same reason I didn't know I had BP. My last dissociative episode was during my last PTSD flashback. All I remember is what happened before the flashback. I was sitting in my GP's waiting room when I suddenly heard a child crying. I immediately started hearing myself cry as a child when my father physically abused me and my parents emotionally abused me. I could hear the voices of my parents over and over again, but could not hear anything else. It wasn't until my flashback ended that I was brought back to reality although it always takes me a few minutes before I realize what happened and can make sense of my surroundings.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 04-15-2009 at 10:14 PM.

Old 04-16-2009, 12:31 AM   #9
(female)

bluegreensky HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FisforFozzy View Post
I'm not sure if this is what you mean, or if it even counts, but here goes:

sometimes during therapy, if the tdoc is trying to get me to open up about things that are difficult for me to talk about, (usually because the issue is just so affectively charged I feel like it would make me too vulnerable to get that emotional in front of another person), I feel myself leave my body. It's like I'm watching the session from the other side of the room. My entire memory of the session is from the other side of the room too----like I really did watch the whole thing from that perspective. It's bizarre. Another eerie part is that I seem to lose the ability to feel when this happens. Things that should very well make me incredibly sad have absolutely no impact on me. I hear myself talking, but I have no physical or emotional connection to the words----yet I know, logically, they belong to me. It blows my mind.

But no, I've never received treatment specifically for this. I've never even mentioned it before now. I didn't realize it happened to other people.
This is exactly what I was referring to, I experience the same things lately and for all the same reasons as you are mentioning here, I've done some research and this form of dissociation is called depersonalization. My tdoc doesn't really have any experience in treating this condition, so I'm trying to get as much information I can get on treatment strategies and coping skills elsewhere...I've received some advice and info on 'grounding methods' but really feel I need some more...anyone out there with any info no matter how trivial it seems, please share with me...thanks..

blue

Old 04-16-2009, 08:11 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User

Some medication will help this (others will have this as a side-effect)

I found this to help a lot: ground yourself in the immediate present. Look around, name 6 things you see, hear, feel, look at the room around you and get yourself into that room in the present. Fully ocupy your space and the moment. I sometimes stop and look around and tell myself that "nothing is wrong here at this moment."
That grounds me in reality. I also find that being with other people and getting into interesting conversations helps.

Try not to panic over these occurrences - only increases anxiety and makes them worse. Instead, tell yourself "Oh, here I am in this state," - don't fight it. Our minds can only be in one place at one time (well, for bps, maybe a couple), but we can direct our thoughts.

I dissociate a lot when under to much stress, or when some trauma comes up in therapy that i cannot handle. I find, though, that if I work at getting into the feelings, I will be with them, in reality, not at a distance from them.

By no means can I do this all the time. I hope this might help you a bit. I that those of with bp and especially PTSD and a lot of trauma (present or past) need to just "go away" for a awhile An unless it causes you to disconnect from reality altogether or makes a mess of something in your life, I think a certain amount of it saves us.
Also, "civilians" do this all the time, too.

Old 04-17-2009, 02:35 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

irishwriter HB User

Quote:

blue
blue,

thanks for post, it made a lot of things clearer for me in that i have experienced disassociation when raped during marriage, a lot of the time now when sh brings me back or when talking about difficult things with tdoc. my sister asked me once how i can sound so positive and i responded that if i were to express how i was really feeling it would be a howl! who wants to hear that.

iw.

Last edited by irishwriter; 04-17-2009 at 02:35 AM.

Old 04-17-2009, 08:08 AM   #12
Inactive
(female)

As usuall Seaturtle is spot on with her advice. My tdoc and I practice being "Grounded in the Here and Now" which is a technique developed for depersonalization and dissasociation. You bascially cocentrate on things in th room and continue to bring tem to your attention throughout your session, your tdoc shoul ask you to remeber them every 15 min. or so, to make sure you re still with her. Also you can concetrate on keeping you body, feeling seated in your space. Concentrate on your feet on the floor, your butt in the seat, your back against the seat, etc. Thesethings keep your mind on the "here and now" and keep you from slippig off into another place. I have to use these a lot, because I "zone out" quite a bit. Which is our terminology for dissociation or depersoalization.

kat

Old 04-18-2009, 01:32 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

irishwriter HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlin09 View Post
As usuall Seaturtle is spot on with her advice. My tdoc and I practice being "Grounded in the Here and Now" which is a technique developed for depersonalization and dissasociation. You bascially cocentrate on things in th room and continue to bring tem to your attention throughout your session, your tdoc shoul ask you to remeber them every 15 min. or so, to make sure you re still with her. Also you can concetrate on keeping you body, feeling seated in your space. Concentrate on your feet on the floor, your butt in the seat, your back against the seat, etc. Thesethings keep your mind on the "here and now" and keep you from slippig off into another place. I have to use these a lot, because I "zone out" quite a bit. Which is our terminology for dissociation or depersoalization.

kat
that book 'the mindful way through depression' (available online) gives a lot of these exercises and when i feel motivated enough to do them they help enormously.

iw

Old 04-18-2009, 06:38 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlin09 View Post
My tdoc and I practice being "Grounded in the Here and Now" which is a technique developed for depersonalization and dissasociation.
I wonder if DBT would help me whenever I start to drift in and out of reality due to my voices? Based on what you described about being aware of your physical surroundings, it seems as if it could. I'll have to ask my tdoc about this at my next appointment.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 04-18-2009 at 06:40 AM.

Old 04-18-2009, 03:09 PM   #15
Inactive
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams in neon View Post
I wonder if DBT would help me whenever I start to drift in and out of reality due to my voices? Based on what you described about being aware of your physical surroundings, it seems as if it could. I'll have to ask my tdoc about this at my next appointment.
Dreams,

This isn't really related to DBT, this is more part of diassociation/depersonalization awareness. or part of EMDR. By the way i start my DBT group therapy on May 4.

kat

Closed Thread