It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2009, 11:52 AM   #1
(female)

mom3x HB User
newbie and in need of help for my son FAST

HI I am a newbie too. I am here because my 15yr old son is on a downward spiral. A year ago he tried to kill himself. He has been seeing a pdoc since but in the last 6-8wks he is raging anger, mixed with wanting to sleep all the time. He wants nothing to do with school or sports both of which he loved a few months ago. He has several great friends but insists on clinging to one who tells him he is on sugar pills or meds to make him be controlled by his evil parents. He refuses to take meds at times and today refuses to go to the pdoctor. He is a big kid 6'3" and 200 lbs so we can't really muscle him. I don't know what to do.

We have begun looking into a therapist and a different pdoc. Is that the next logical step.

Old 04-15-2009, 12:47 PM   #2
(male)

BrownCore HB User
Re: newbie and in need of help for my son FAST

Therapy is always a good idea.

You didn't really explain how the doctor was going about doing his job, so I can't really offer an opinion as to whether or not you should do a switch.

Since it seems that he does not want to take medication, has rage issues, and severe depression, always keep in mind that involuntary commitment is always an option on the table if you become extremely concerned.

Good luck, and I hope everything goes well.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2009, 01:03 PM   #3
(female)

mom3x HB User

His current doctor sees him for about 15-20 minutes then "adjusts" meds with RX pad and calls me into and says your son seems to be _____ I think we can help that with this med. It was only after an ER visit a few weeks back that I was told therepy may be helpful. He has been to the er and we were told unless he is a danger to himself or others they would not even consider keeping him. He is supposed to be on Seroquel Abilify & lamotrigine. He hates them because he is tired all the time and they don't help he says.

Last edited by mom3x; 04-15-2009 at 01:10 PM. Reason: to add info

Old 04-15-2009, 01:25 PM   #4
(male)

BrownCore HB User

I'm sorry he is not tolerating the medications well.

I'm fortunate. I'm on a massive dose of Seroquel (600 mg), and I barely have any side effects. The sedation has even decreased. I'm not tired at all throughout the day.

If he is not tolerating the meds well, a switch of medications may be in order...he might tolerate other drugs much better.

If the doctor doesn't want to work with you as far as that's concerned, you should find a new doctor.

Old 04-15-2009, 04:27 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB User

It's the Seroquel that Is making him drowsy all the time as the other two Abilify and Lamictal tend to be activating. Have you talked to his pdoc about this? perhaps it's time to come off of the seroquel....2 mood stabilizers and an anti-psychotic should give some room to cut back on the seroquel. I'd give his pdoc a call and talk to him about it. If he won't work with you on this problem or takes an "i'm the dr. I know what's best" approach, I'd definitely find a pdoc that will work with you.

kat

Old 04-16-2009, 04:15 PM   #6
(female)

evangeline11 HB User

I was young when I was diagnosed as well and did not want to take meds for some of the same reasons. What has helped me is being informed about what the medication is, what its actually supposed to do, potential side effects, etc.
I agree with what the others have said, but it also may be the case that the medicine is not what is making him tired. I had periods when I was on zero meds that I would be in a downward cycle (depression) and just sleep for 15 hrs a day. I always felt tired, then I would eventually cycle upward into mania where I never needed sleep.

It is a unique disorder with no simple solution. Therapy may help, but he has to want help for it to be effective. Ultimately, its not worth the risk. If he needs to be hospitalized to become medication compliant, you have to do it. The suicidal feelings are just too unpredictable. So if he's mad about it at first, one day he'll thank you for saving his life.

Closed Thread