It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2009, 05:10 PM   #1
(female)

last flowers HB User
unable to lose weight

i know there are worse things,(i have been through my fair share) but the weight thing. it just wont go away no matter what i do.
i dont know if it is the abilify, does anyone have a problem with that?
i take zoloft also, but have been for awhile and didnt have problems then.
since holidays, and ip i cant get rid of it. that's 4 mons. i dont want to buy more clothes. i really have more problems at the moment as i feel as crash coming on after a good two months. i dont know that the wine helps.
help............
last flowers

Old 04-15-2009, 05:24 PM   #2
(male)

BrownCore HB User
Re: unable to lose weight

Now that I look back, Abilify caused me to gain a little bit of weight.
Seroquel has not had the same affect on me.

I know it can be hard to work up the drive or motivation to work out, but that's just about the only advice I can offer you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2009, 07:25 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

I've been on Abilify for 5 months and haven't gained any weight. I did gain some on Seroquel but only 12 lbs. I'm not sure what to tell you, I know that other's have said they gained weight on Abilify. I'm sure the wine is not helping at all especially with the meds you're on, have you told your pdoc about the drinking?

kat

Old 04-15-2009, 08:05 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User

Hi,
I can't relate to the weight loss, since I am always struggling to keep my weight up high enough not to be in physical danger.

The drinking, though - yes, I'd think it not only added calories but perhaps doesn't help with your control in eating?

I was speaking with someone in my bp group about her weight problems recently. She is on weigh-gaining meds. She said she really watches it, stays away from everything white (sugar, white flour anything). And she exercises, too.

Have you tried working out at a gym and perhaps consulting a nutritionist? I also agree that your pdoc should know about the drinking.

Old 04-16-2009, 12:58 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Llama HB User

I am on a high dose of abilify and have found that this higher dose causes a little weight gain for me too. Nothing that some extra trips to the gym can't solve though. I go pretty much everyday. I'm finally starting to lose my gut! Yay!

Closed Thread