It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2009, 04:15 PM   #1
(female)

redtoenails HB User
Smile Stability

I have been stable for several months now. It is better than cycling but I still do miss the intensity of my moods. I took today off from writing papers (I'm in college) and just relaxed. It gave me the perspective that I have just now started working on anything in my life that is not mood stabilization and I should be happy with the progress I am making. This however will not prevent me from being frustrated by the slow pace that life moves at when I am not manic. It is just a nice and somewhat useful moment of clarity.
I am battling weight gain and I have just started cutting back on my food intake and exercising everyday. I just wish the weight was gone already!
I am trying to make friends but that takes time as well. When I was depressed I could barely speak to people. Now I can talk to anyone and it is really an accomplishment. However I still wish I had more friends to spend time with.
Also I am currently battling lithium related acne and patiently waiting for the dermatologist to work his magic is not so easy especially since he admitted it is taking longer than earlier.
So basically I feel fat, ugly and I have only a handful of friends. But I am trying to fix all these things so I guess there is hope.
Is anyone else fed up with waiting for their life to start?

Old 04-16-2009, 04:36 PM   #2
(female)

evangeline11 HB User
Re: Stability

WOW--- you described me exactly! I lost a lot of friends during depressions because I just secluded myself. It was too hard to have a conversation or leave the house. so I can definetly relate to feeling like I dont have enough friends. Most of my best friends live in Michigan and I'm in Georgia so its tough. How do you "make friends" as an adult?

I am 28 and feel like I have wasted so much time just trying to stabalize as well. It has taken me- I cant believe Im admitting this-- almost 7 yrs to get a flipping Bachelors degree! I failed some classes when I just stopped attending when depressed and had to retake a bunch and with my husband being in the military we moved a lot and I had to switch schools.

I also let my weight get out of control when my husband was deployed in Iraq & I had the worst time of my life. Just tried to drink beer and eat as much as I could to numb all the craziness. So that was almost 3 yrs ago and I'm still battling the weight. Its hard for me to establish and keep a routine with anything- let alone exercise!

So I'm right there with you!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2009, 06:18 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Fed up with life....hmmm....such a small sentence packed full of so much. I never let myself have a life frm the beginning. When I was young I was scared my friends would learn my secrets...the ones that came in the night, at the hands of my father....then as a teenager when it finally stopped, the damage was done. I met my husband at 16 and found one person to trust. We married at 19, and had our first child shortly after I turned 21...3 weeks later my husband came home to me huddled in a corner of the nursery with a bottle of pain pills,having had slashed my writ with a razor blade. Apparantly BiPolar when undiscovered and unmedicated gets about a 100 times worse after childbirth. Thus the first suicide attempt. So the pdocs and tdocs and meds started, which I would accept for a couple years then get stable and decide I was "healed" didn't need it anymore. During this time the only person who knew was my husband. Of course things would get bad again, and back to pdocs and tdocs and meds and suicide attempts, hospitilizations....and still nobody knew....oh did I mention that the self harm had been rampant this whol time since I was 13 and not even my husband knew about that...hiding my "life" took such a toll and I rarely wantd to live. I stayed so depressed I'dhave rather just died. So the cycle repeated itself feelin healed, not being compliant, being compliant, suicide attempts, etc. The whole time what had happened when I was a child had dissapeared from my mind, total dissasociation, just a blank in my childhood. The depression ran rampant for 20 years, my marriage the same for 20 years, 10 years in the monster in my husbad came out, the abusive alcoholic, verbally, physically...cheating....but he was the only one who knew, he took care of me when things were bad, how could I ever leave? How could I ever tell anyone? Finally in December of 2007 my dissociation ended, and the depression became so bad I was basically comatose, everything came flooding back, all the childhood abuse, everything.....that is when I met my current pdoc, who started me on meds, and sent me to my current tdoc. Since then there have been 2 more suicide attempts for a total of 7 in 20 years, 4 hospitilazations, the last one being July of last year. But finally I was able to tell someone, my best friend in the world, and she didn't balk, didn' condem, she understood and cared and still to this day a year and a half later checks with me almost daily, makes sure I'm okay. I also told my mother in law who although can be a bit overwhelmin also treats me well in spite of my mental illnesses. In telling I became brave enough to leave my abusive husband and live my life as hellish and scary as it can be sometimes. So yes at times, many in fact I get fed up with this life, the constant self harm, the constant suicidal depression, the falling into the pit of darkness that many times it;s so hard to climb out of...but hopefully I won't let this beat me, I will try and beat it, so that I don't always have to be fed up with my life.

Old 04-17-2009, 03:19 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User

I've been unstable for the past 1.5 years and am just now starting to enjoy some stability. It has been a long time coming and it's nice to *finally* feel level again.

I know what you mean as far as college is concerned. I graduated high school in 1989 and have been attending university classes ever since. I changed majors 5 times and am now 2 classes away from earning my Bachelor's degree in social work. I'm tired and at the end of my rope as far as school is concerned. I love to learn, but I just don't have it in me to sit in a 3 hour lecture thanks to my bipolar. I ended up failing all of my classes last semester which caused my GPA to fall from a 3.7 to a 3.5. Due to the fact that I had constant problems with rapid cycling, auditory hallucinations, mania and racing thoughts, my social work advisor, pdoc and tdoc all suggested that I take the spring semester off so that I could get my rapid cycling under control. I took their advice and plan to resume my studies this September if things continue going as well as they have over the past few weeks. <fingers crossed>

I refuse to let bipolar defeat me and plan to continue my education by receiving a Master's in psychology and an MD in psychaitry.
Prozac 40mg
Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Last edited by dreams in neon; 04-17-2009 at 03:19 AM.

Old 04-17-2009, 03:25 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

irishwriter HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlin09 View Post
Fed up with life....hmmm....such a small sentence packed full of so much. I never let myself have a life frm the beginning. When I was young I was scared my friends would learn my secrets...the ones that came in the night, at the hands of my father....then as a teenager when it finally stopped, the damage was done. I met my husband at 16 and found one person to trust. We married at 19, and had our first child shortly after I turned 21...3 weeks later my husband came home to me huddled in a corner of the nursery with a bottle of pain pills,having had slashed my writ with a razor blade. Apparantly BiPolar when undiscovered and unmedicated gets about a 100 times worse after childbirth. Thus the first suicide attempt. So the pdocs and tdocs and meds started, which I would accept for a couple years then get stable and decide I was "healed" didn't need it anymore. During this time the only person who knew was my husband. Of course things would get bad again, and back to pdocs and tdocs and meds and suicide attempts, hospitilizations....and still nobody knew....oh did I mention that the self harm had been rampant this whol time since I was 13 and not even my husband knew about that...hiding my "life" took such a toll and I rarely wantd to live. I stayed so depressed I'dhave rather just died. So the cycle repeated itself feelin healed, not being compliant, being compliant, suicide attempts, etc. The whole time what had happened when I was a child had dissapeared from my mind, total dissasociation, just a blank in my childhood. The depression ran rampant for 20 years, my marriage the same for 20 years, 10 years in the monster in my husbad came out, the abusive alcoholic, verbally, physically...cheating....but he was the only one who knew, he took care of me when things were bad, how could I ever leave? How could I ever tell anyone? Finally in December of 2007 my dissociation ended, and the depression became so bad I was basically comatose, everything came flooding back, all the childhood abuse, everything.....that is when I met my current pdoc, who started me on meds, and sent me to my current tdoc. Since then there have been 2 more suicide attempts for a total of 7 in 20 years, 4 hospitilazations, the last one being July of last year. But finally I was able to tell someone, my best friend in the world, and she didn't balk, didn' condem, she understood and cared and still to this day a year and a half later checks with me almost daily, makes sure I'm okay. I also told my mother in law who although can be a bit overwhelmin also treats me well in spite of my mental illnesses. In telling I became brave enough to leave my abusive husband and live my life as hellish and scary as it can be sometimes. So yes at times, many in fact I get fed up with this life, the constant self harm, the constant suicidal depression, the falling into the pit of darkness that many times it;s so hard to climb out of...but hopefully I won't let this beat me, I will try and beat it, so that I don't always have to be fed up with my life.
kat,

it is so hard to keep picking myself up and dusting myself off to start again, i do get tired of it a lot and lately am tempted to go off meds. started seroquel last night though and once again have hope that this lot will work. i hate having those hopes dashed every time and cannot get out of this bout of suicidal depression. i truly hope it stops soon as i don't know how much more i can take.

iw

Old 04-17-2009, 07:58 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Irish,

I know how you feel, becaue honesly you and I tend to be in the same place at the same time alot of the time. The Seroquel should help you, it did me alot once upon a time. It is also one of the only meds specifically prescibed for Self Injury. So I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed that this will give you some release. Hell, sleep deprivation alone can make you want to not go on, as I've learned first class. With 2 of my main meds having been majorly reduced for the next 2 weeks, I am struggling big time with the severe depressin and the suicidal thoughts.....hopefully I can hold on until I get back on my normal med schedule. I also get so tired of all the med changes and feelings of despair and hopelessness and just want to chuck it all....but I try to force myself to take it one hour at a time and see if I can survive that. Maybe you cantry that...very small steps...little bits at a time. Just remember you're not alone and we can help each other do this.

kat

Old 04-17-2009, 08:18 AM   #7
(female)

redtoenails HB User

I am glad I am not alone. Sometimes I feel like I am the only person in the world struggling to start over. I hope everyone who is trying to get stable, gets stable. Your stories reminded me of my own struggle and how fortunate I am to be stable. I will have to work hard to build the life I want but I am getting there. evangeline11 do you have a tdoc? Mine finally got me out of my house and trying new things. Good luck to all.

Last edited by redtoenails; 04-17-2009 at 08:19 AM.

Old 04-17-2009, 12:41 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

I will echo Red in that I think a good tdoc is a valuable tool for getting "stable" in the BP hell. I would never trade my tdoc for anything in the world, she is great. She makes sure that I utilize her to the utmost extent, she tries new therapies that she thinks will help me. She pushes me into therapies that she is not able to do, when she knows that I need them, and she is always there for me, and I mean always. Last week alone I called her 4 times, because I was going to go on a self harm cutting spree, and she's instructed me that anytime I feel like that is going to happen, or if I feel suicidal, I mean 90% of the time I feel that way, but if I feel as though I'm going to act on the feelings to call her. 2 of the times last week were after midnight, and she takes the calls, talks me down from the "cutting ledge" so to speak, gets me calm and never bats an eye. She never complains, or talks about it next session, it's like a friend called....it's that normal. Not many tdocs would offer this type of caring, compassion and help, or not many that I've had in the past, so this one...all I can say is she is a monumental part of my treatment and getting "well". My pdoc is the same way in his caring and compassion, but a different type of relationship. I see my tdoc every week, and my pdoc every week to 2 weeks, so i get alot of care from my docs. If I didn't have these docs or even the same types of docs....I'd have been gone from this earth a year and a half ago.

kat

Old 04-17-2009, 03:54 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

One thing I love about my tdoc is how he warns me whenever I'm manic. I can't always recognize this for myself, so when he brings this to my attention, I can act accordingly. He can also pinpoint triggers and patterns in my rapid cycling that I may not be aware of.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 04-17-2009, 04:49 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams in neon View Post
One thing I love about my tdoc is how he warns me whenever I'm manic. I can't always recognize this for myself, so when he brings this to my attention, I can act accordingly. He can also pinpoint triggers and patterns in my rapid cycling that I may not be aware of.
Dreams,

I'm not sure how to ask this without you thinking I'm being mean or something but i"m not, I'm just curious. How can you not know when your manic? I've just never heard of anyone that is manic as often as you are not knowing? I know that when I get manic sometimes you guys have to tell me by my posts, but i'm only manic like a handful of times a year. Does your hearing and sight loss have to do with it?

kat

Old 04-17-2009, 05:08 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Dreams,

I'm not sure how to ask this without you thinking I'm being mean or something but i"m not, I'm just curious. How can you not know when your manic? I've just never heard of anyone that is manic as often as you are not knowing? I know that when I get manic sometimes you guys have to tell me by my posts, but i'm only manic like a handful of times a year. Does your hearing and sight loss have to do with it?

kat
I can't always tell when I'm manic because when I feel happy during this time of year, it may be due to the weather. I'm always happy during the spring and summer months, but this doesn't always have to do with being manic. I simply love warm, sunny weather.

I also can't tell when I'm manic if certain events happen to me. If several positive events take place in my life, I may feel happy about them, but I don't always know if this is due to mania or not.

My tdoc also says I speak rapidly when I'm manic. Most of the time I don't even realize I'm doing this. I also rock and wring my hands which are also things I'm not aware of.

Keep in mind too that I've been unstable for the past 1.5 years, so I've been manic pretty often which makes it difficult for me to tell the difference between feeling very happy (i.e. level) and feeling manic. Rapid cycling complicates this further because I may rapid cycle between normal mood and mania several times an hour and sometimes minute by minute.

I also don't realize that I'm manic when I'm actively psychotic. Many people who hear voices deny anything is wrong. When I'm at the point where my voices are very loud and angry, it's difficult for me to acknowledge that anything is wrong. Unless my voices are at a moderate level, I don't realize that I'm having a manic/psychotic episode.

Does that help clarify?
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 04-17-2009 at 05:09 PM.

Old 04-18-2009, 12:48 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

irishwriter HB User

Quote:
I will echo Red in that I think a good tdoc is a valuable tool for getting "stable" in the BP hell. I would never trade my tdoc for anything in the world, she is great. She makes sure that I utilize her to the utmost extent, she tries new therapies that she thinks will help me. She pushes me into therapies that she is not able to do, when she knows that I need them, and she is always there for me, and I mean always. Last week alone I called her 4 times, because I was going to go on a self harm cutting spree, and she's instructed me that anytime I feel like that is going to happen, or if I feel suicidal, I mean 90% of the time I feel that way, but if I feel as though I'm going to act on the feelings to call her. 2 of the times last week were after midnight, and she takes the calls, talks me down from the "cutting ledge" so to speak, gets me calm and never bats an eye. She never complains, or talks about it next session, it's like a friend called....it's that normal. Not many tdocs would offer this type of caring, compassion and help, or not many that I've had in the past, so this one...all I can say is she is a monumental part of my treatment and getting "well". My pdoc is the same way in his caring and compassion, but a different type of relationship. I see my tdoc every week, and my pdoc every week to 2 weeks, so i get alot of care from my docs. If I didn't have these docs or even the same types of docs....I'd have been gone from this earth a year and a half ago.

kat
that is so strange, i have that kind of support from my pdoc and without his help and validation i too would be gone from this earth many times during the last year and a half! he doesn't pressure me and just tells me to make sure the wounds are kept clean and cared for. he's available on phone any time even on weekends and i speak to him most days sometimes two or three times a day depending on how bad the days are. we are both v. lucky to have found these people who keep us from the brink. i just emailed him telling him almost this exact thing!

iw

Old 04-18-2009, 12:53 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

irishwriter HB User
Wink Re: Stability

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtoenails View Post
I am glad I am not alone. Sometimes I feel like I am the only person in the world struggling to start over. I hope everyone who is trying to get stable, gets stable. Your stories reminded me of my own struggle and how fortunate I am to be stable. I will have to work hard to build the life I want but I am getting there. evangeline11 do you have a tdoc? Mine finally got me out of my house and trying new things. Good luck to all.
i too am trying to get stable. i tell pdoc i would like to be happy without being ecstatic or manic and i would like to be sad without being suicidal. i seem to have no barrier to mean things said to me and each time i end up on the floor. i had seroquel added in during the week and it does seem to have given me back the few good hours in the day which is a vast improvement on being suicidal all the time. goood to hear about your stablility. it gives me hope. i rarely leave the house but a short job i had to do got me out two weeks ago and again during the coming week. also pdoc got me to put two of my short plays on camera last week which was also a major step in getting me out of house and gaining back a little confidence.

Old 04-18-2009, 12:59 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

irishwriter HB User

Quote:
Irish,

I know how you feel, becaue honesly you and I tend to be in the same place at the same time alot of the time. The Seroquel should help you, it did me alot once upon a time. It is also one of the only meds specifically prescibed for Self Injury. So I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed that this will give you some release. Hell, sleep deprivation alone can make you want to not go on, as I've learned first class. With 2 of my main meds having been majorly reduced for the next 2 weeks, I am struggling big time with the severe depressin and the suicidal thoughts.....hopefully I can hold on until I get back on my normal med schedule. I also get so tired of all the med changes and feelings of despair and hopelessness and just want to chuck it all....but I try to force myself to take it one hour at a time and see if I can survive that. Maybe you cantry that...very small steps...little bits at a time. Just remember you're not alone and we can help each other do this.

Kat,

thanks for response to post. i too am keeping everything crossed. got two good nights sleep which made such a difference am actually thinking of trying to stop cutting, not there yet but feel that i will. seroquel seems to have been a good addition and has restored the few good hours in the day and maybe as it is increased it will improve even more. baby steps help and i try to leave the house at least once/day even if it is only to go to get some groceries. the other night i came very close to doing 'it' but the opportunity passed and now i have more hope for stability. we can help each other, you are right. this is a life saver in many ways.

kat

Old 04-18-2009, 07:00 AM   #15
Inactive
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams in neon View Post
I can't always tell when I'm manic because when I feel happy during this time of year, it may be due to the weather. I'm always happy during the spring and summer months, but this doesn't always have to do with being manic. I simply love warm, sunny weather.

I also can't tell when I'm manic if certain events happen to me. If several positive events take place in my life, I may feel happy about them, but I don't always know if this is due to mania or not.

My tdoc also says I speak rapidly when I'm manic. Most of the time I don't even realize I'm doing this. I also rock and wring my hands which are also things I'm not aware of.

Keep in mind too that I've been unstable for the past 1.5 years, so I've been manic pretty often which makes it difficult for me to tell the difference between feeling very happy (i.e. level) and feeling manic. Rapid cycling complicates this further because I may rapid cycle between normal mood and mania several times an hour and sometimes minute by minute.

I also don't realize that I'm manic when I'm actively psychotic. Many people who hear voices deny anything is wrong. When I'm at the point where my voices are very loud and angry, it's difficult for me to acknowledge that anything is wrong. Unless my voices are at a moderate level, I don't realize that I'm having a manic/psychotic episode.

Does that help clarify?
Yes, it does, sorry for my being dense...it's just the few times in the last year that I've been manice, I was like, "How could anyone not know they're like that??" but you've made me understand. I'm just never happy like you explain it, at my best I'm tranquil, I guess is the word to use...so i can easly tell if i'm hypomanic or manic. Thanks for the explanation.

kat

Closed Thread