It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2009, 06:58 PM   #1
(female)

lindy77077 HB User
Unhappy Bipolar II Disorder and PTSD with 30lb weight gain

I'm new to this and hoping others can provide me with some information and words of encouragement that have experienced the same thing. I was officially diagnosed in September of 2008 with Bipolar II and with a change in medication, a quick and swift weight gain followed. I was being treated for depression for over 10 years and PTSD for 4. After 4 weeks of the diagnosis and a change in meds, I gained 20lbs, the following weeks I gained 10. As far as my meds go, my change started when I went into the psychiatrists' office for the first time on the maximum dose of Wellbutrin (which stopped working hence my referal to a psychiatrist from a family doctor for a reassessment of my atypical depression diagnosis). She first added Effexor to the Wellbutrin and continually increased it until I got unbearably suicidal and was re-assessed as bipolar (II). My new combinations starting. First was staying on Effexor, sleeping pills (forgot the name), clorazapam and Epival. I was so sedated and still never slept so we added seroquel. I then slept but took me about 5 hours to wake up in the morning and get out of bed and moving. We then tried a variety of combinations and I am now back on Wellbutrin (after trying Effexor and Cipralex) and Epival so just the 2 for this. Since January 2009, I have been jogging 5km 3x per week and eating better but not a single pound loss. Does anyone have any helpful thoughts or suggestions for me?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2009, 08:17 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User
Re: Bipolar II Disorder and PTSD with 30lb weight gain

I can emphasize with your frustration regarding weight gain. After I started taking Depakote and Risperdal 3 years ago, I went from weighing 127 to 157. To make matters worse, my GP told me that I was pre-diabetic. After several depressive episodes last year, I ended up losing 30 pounds and dropped back down to 127. I continued to lose weight due to rapid cycling (since I don't eat when I'm manic or depressed). My current weight is 114. However, I do have some concerns about gaining more weight and think this will be a problem for me since my pdoc recently added Risperdal to my regimen. While I'm of the opinion that it's better to be fat and stable instead of skinny and manic and/or depressed, I do have concerns about developing pre-diabetes again. Some of the things I do to help maintain my weight are to take a 2 hour walk every day, run for an hour on my treadmill on a daily basis and take the stairs instead of the elevator whenever I can. I don't know if these suggestions will help, but I thought I'd mention them in the hopes that they do.
Prozac 40mg
Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Last edited by dreams in neon; 04-19-2009 at 08:19 PM.

Old 04-19-2009, 08:52 PM   #3
(female)

lindy77077 HB User

Thank you, that is informative and helpful. I just got on tonight and have been reading some of the threads which have also been helpful in seeing - ok, it's not just me! I think what I need to do is to move toward a daily regime of exercise, the challenge is I find the thought of that a bit overwhelming but I think I just have to put my mind to it. Diabetes is my main concern. I was 167 (within my BMI but at the high end). I couldn't get lower as my big challenge with the depression was eating..... Now I waiver between 198 and 202 - which is a shocker to me and 169 is the top of my BMI so really more than just cosmetic, I feel I need to get down again and if it takes starting off on the treadmill 40 min each day and go from there, just do it as NIKE used to say..... Although mentally I'm not perfect, boy oh boy am I better and you're right, that's something I don't want to give up.

Old 04-19-2009, 09:23 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

If you don't mind my asking, how is your diet? I don't eat as well as I should, but I have cut down on alot of sugar, caffeine and junk food since I find that all of them can cause me to become manic or depressed.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 04-20-2009, 07:41 AM   #5
(female)

kathy53048 HB User

I also experienced a 20 pound weight gain over 6 months on a new medication. I joined weight watchers and took alli for a year, plus water aerobics three times a week. The weight came off, but much more slowly than ever before. This might work for you; but just keep trying. You can do it too!

Old 04-20-2009, 10:53 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Kathy,

How does Alli work exactly? Do you have to eat specific foods, like the carb diet or one of those? Does it have stimulants in it that would interfere with the manic side of the BiPolar?

kat

Old 04-20-2009, 01:08 PM   #7
(female)

luvchris HB User

I don't know how it works but PLEASE be careful! Mixing meds is not such a good thing. I know what it is like to gain weight because I gained 50 pounds. I am now working with my doctor changin my meds and exercizing. Good luck!

Old 04-20-2009, 02:07 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

I've heard that diet pills like Alli can cause intestinal problems like diarrhea, so you want to be careful about taking them. Many diet pills also contain stimulants which can induce mania.

In my opinion, it's better to be fat and stable instead of skinny, manic and/or depressed.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 04-20-2009 at 02:09 PM.

Old 04-20-2009, 04:02 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

I think somehow a couple of you got the impression that i was going to take the alli, I was just enquiring. Both my pdoc and pharmacist do not allow any diet pills for BP patients, especially with all the meds that I am on, since almost all diet pills have some kind of stimulants in them and thats what makes them work. stimulants and BP do not play well together.

The only reason I enquired is because of the commercials that Wynonna does where she takes it but yet, although she claims it works she's still as heavy as ever. I've been dealing with this disease for 19 yrs. so I know better than to take any meds that my pdoc doesn't prescribe, also I've not gained any weight on my meds.

kat

Old 04-20-2009, 08:14 PM   #10
(female)

lindy77077 HB User

My diet is actually pretty good as I took control of that about 4 years ago. I don't have caffeine, really limit my sugar intake etc. I am wondering more and more today if it is primarily water weight gain. The weight gain happened within a 4 week period and it occured to me today it may be water weight. I haven't talked about this with my doctor or psychiatrist although I booked an appointment now with my doctor and left my psychiatrist a message tonight about it. I nicked my leg while shaving today and while took a tissue away from my leg where I pressed down for about 30 seconds, I noticed a severe indentation which of course went away but it took a couple of minutes. I get this from my socks (and they are not tight). This never happened before. Today I was quite upset and was happy I had an appointment with my psychotherapist scheduled.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:19 PM   #11
(female)

lindy77077 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindy77077 View Post
My diet is actually pretty good as I took control of that about 4 years ago. I don't have caffeine, really limit my sugar intake etc. I am wondering more and more today if it is primarily water weight gain. The weight gain happened within a 4 week period and it occured to me today it may be water weight. I haven't talked about this with my doctor or psychiatrist although I booked an appointment now with my doctor and left my psychiatrist a message tonight about it. I nicked my leg while shaving today and while took a tissue away from my leg where I pressed down for about 30 seconds, I noticed a severe indentation which of course went away but it took a couple of minutes. I get this from my socks (and they are not tight). This never happened before. Today I was quite upset and was happy I had an appointment with my psychotherapist scheduled.
Just an add on... boy is this frustrating!

Old 04-20-2009, 08:34 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
I nicked my leg while shaving today and while took a tissue away from my leg where I pressed down for about 30 seconds, I noticed a severe indentation which of course went away but it took a couple of minutes. I get this from my socks (and they are not tight). This never happened before.
I have a variety of indentations in my legs and ankles which are painful to the touch. I discovered this after I went to the ER in December right before being admitted IP. The ER doctor said I have what he considers severe edema and thinks my BP meds are responsible for causing it.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 04-20-2009 at 08:36 PM.

Old 04-21-2009, 06:39 AM   #13
(female)

lindy77077 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams in neon View Post
I have a variety of indentations in my legs and ankles which are painful to the touch. I discovered this after I went to the ER in December right before being admitted IP. The ER doctor said I have what he considers severe edema and thinks my BP meds are responsible for causing it.
I was quite upset last night (and the past few days) so called my psychiatrist last night and left a message. I spoke to her this morning and she confirmed that's that I have and we are going to change my mood stabilizer. I am currently on something called Epival and not sure until I see her on Monday what the change will be.... over the course of the treatment of testing different things, this is the medication that has stayed constant and increased so we'll see. Perhaps a change would be right for you too?

Old 04-21-2009, 07:59 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Perhaps a change would be right for you too?
I'd rather not change any of my meds. I'm just now starting to enjoy feeling level after being unstable for the past 1.5 years. I haven't rapid cycled in quite awhile nor have I been manic, hypomanic or depressed. I plan to ask my GP and pdoc if there is something else I can do.

In the meantime, I'm also going to try wearing diabetic stockings (which someone on another BP message board recommended) to see if that helps reduce the pain.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 04-21-2009 at 08:05 AM.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:56 AM   #15
(female)

kathy53048 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlin09 View Post
Kathy,

How does Alli work exactly? Do you have to eat specific foods, like the carb diet or one of those? Does it have stimulants in it that would interfere with the manic side of the BiPolar?

kat
Alli works by blocking the amount of fat your body absorbs from the food you eat. It works best with a low calorie well balanced fruits and vegetables diet like Weight Watchers. I didn't have any side effects, on mania or otherwise.
I felt like it was helping to fight the weight gaining influence of my meds.

Reply Reply