It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2009, 10:44 PM   #1
(female)

happyfuller HB User
Lightbulb Just Curious

I have been doing tons of research since being diagnosed with BP 2, depression, ADD, PTSD, and social anxiety disorder. I imagine that the rate of people like myself that come from extrememly dysfunctional backgrounds, and have experienced trauma have similar diagnosis. What are the statistics regarding this? I am trying hard to raise my kids in a stable environment, knowing that the odds are against them genetically. Nature vs. nurture. Do they have half a chance when they grow up? Just looking for thoughts on this subject.

Old 04-19-2009, 11:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User
Re: Just Curious

Research indicates that many people with bipolar have experienced trauma at some point in their lives. In some cases, a person's bipolar may be triggered by traumatic events. It's also quite common for bipolar to be diagnosed with other
co-morbid conditions such as PTSD, OCD, ADD/ADHD and dual diagnosis.

In my case, I experienced 4 different kinds of trauma from age 7-18. I was sexually, physically and emotionally abused by my father during this time. I was also emotionally abused by my mother as well.

In addition, my life was threatened at age 9.

As a result of my traumas (according to my tdoc), I started hearing voices in 1991. Back then, I was misdiagnosed as having major depressive disorder.

In 2006, my symptoms became so severe that I was hospitalized a little over a month for my first manic/psychotic episode. It was at this time that I was diagnosed with bipolar 1. Prior to that, I was hospitalized 6 times between 1991 and 1995 for severe suicidal depression. I was also hospitalized 3 additional times (for mania) in November, December and recently.

My most recent diagnosis is PTSD which my tdoc diagnosed me with in January.

Because of the things I experienced during my childhood and teenage years, I struggle with self harm. I don't cut, but I do have several other behaviors -- one of which draws blood. When I self harm, it brings me pleasure because I'm able to exercise some degree of control in my life. I also look at it as a way of punishing myself because it's what I think I deserve.

I think you'll find many people here who share similar experiences to my own.

Unfortunately, trauma is no stranger to those of us who have bipolar.
Prozac 40mg
Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Last edited by dreams in neon; 04-20-2009 at 12:02 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2009, 06:58 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Happy,

Yes most of us have totally dysfunctional hideous backgrounds, but since BiPolar is a chemical imbalance in the brain and a medical/mental illness I'm not sure how much data if any that you'll actually find that says, these background conditins are what causes it. This is a genetic disorder that is passed down through the gene pool. It's not something that you can actually stop, no matter how hard you try and to try will most likely cause you undo stress and then guilt/pain if in the end one of your children do happen to have one of the disorders as they get older. I've been told by Neurologists and past Psychiatrists that it lessens as it hits each generation, manifests itself in a different form of brain chemical imbalance, but i"m not sure this is totally accurate...something else that would take some research. My son had an extremely traumatic childhood, due to being born without an immune system and being in the hospital 80% of his first 2 years of life, he got to the point of "touch aversion" that even as a baby he wouldn't let anyne hold him. He went through medical hell until he was 7 and after that was still in and out of the hospitl and ERs throughout each year, he's had pneumonia 57 times. But he has no sign of any brain chemical imbalance or mental disorder, even though I have BPII w/severe med resistant suicidal depression, Borderline Personality Disorder, PTSD, OCD and severe self harm/self injury.

One thing I do know, all you can do is just do the best job you can with your kids and not worry about what may come...since there is nothing you could do to stop it anyway.

Kat

Old 04-20-2009, 08:29 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

If you do an Internet search for "trauma + bipolar" you'll find plenty of studies which support the fact that it can trigger bipolar symptoms. I've researched bipolar for the past 18 years and have read a number of studies which have come to this conclusion. I would provide you with specific links to these studies, but websites cannot be posted on the board. Hope this helps.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 04-20-2009, 10:37 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Dreams,

I'm not saying it can't "trigger" it, but it's like it's awakening something that's already there, it's not creating it. I've also studied it and talked to many pdocs and tdocs like you I've had this disorder/disease for 19 years also...but different docs and research will give different opinions. If everyone had the same knowledge they could most likely cure it, and wouldn't that be great....maybe one day.

Old 04-20-2009, 11:40 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kat,

I think the OP was referring to triggers since trauma is a trigger of BP and not a cause.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 04-20-2009 at 11:40 AM.

Closed Thread