It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2009, 10:10 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User
Edema and BP Meds

Hi everyone,

When I went to the ER in December right before being admitted IP, the ER doctor said I had severe edema in my legs and ankles. Could my bipolar meds be responsible for this? Also, what can be done to help the pain? My legs and ankles are painful to the touch.
Prozac 40mg
Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Old 04-21-2009, 01:19 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

irishwriter HB User
Re: Edema and BP Meds

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams in neon View Post
Hi everyone,

When I went to the ER in December right before being admitted IP, the ER doctor said I had severe edema in my legs and ankles. Could my bipolar meds be responsible for this? Also, what can be done to help the pain? My legs and ankles are painful to the touch.
dreams,

i use elecon (don't know what it would be called there). dermatologist said stress induced eczema on my fingers and it only appears during extreme stress. hope you find treatment that works. can you talk to a dermatologist or pharmacologist about it? sorry misread and thought you said ecxema not edema! talk to gp about it sometimes drinking more water and keeping away from salty foods helps with edema.

Last edited by irishwriter; 04-21-2009 at 01:21 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2009, 02:20 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishwriter View Post
dreams,

i use elecon (don't know what it would be called there). dermatologist said stress induced eczema on my fingers and it only appears during extreme stress. hope you find treatment that works. can you talk to a dermatologist or pharmacologist about it? sorry misread and thought you said ecxema not edema! talk to gp about it sometimes drinking more water and keeping away from salty foods helps with edema.
I drink plenty of water. Due to the fact that I don't like regular or bottled water, I drink flavored water instead.

As far as salt is concerned, I don't eat alot of it in my diet. When I go to the grocery store, I have the clerk read labels to me so I can avoid it as much as possible. If I eat alot of salt, I experience a marked increase in my tinnitus.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 04-21-2009 at 02:22 AM.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:19 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

light the world HB User

I don't know whether your bp meds are whats causing this but I do know other causes that can create edema. Some causes would be Cirrhosis, congestive heart failure, any sort of kidney disease or damage, damage to your veins in your legs, and an inadequate lymphatic system. I do know that if your taking vasodilators or calcium antagonists it can cause edema.

One type of treatment that can be used is using a diuretic. These help to increase your kidney's output of sodium and water. An example of one of these meds would be Lasix. I'm not a medical professional nor have I experienced this so I can't reccommend any to you. Another way to help prevent edema is to decrease your sodium intake.

I hope this bit of info helps.

Meds: Clonazepam 4mg, Seroquel 200mg

Last edited by light the world; 04-21-2009 at 10:20 AM.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:38 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

under,

I don't eat alot of salt. I have whoever helps me shop read labels, so I try to be careful to avoid salt whenever possible since it tends to make my tinnitus worse.

Do you know if diuretics can interfere with BP meds?
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 04-21-2009, 11:14 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

light the world HB User

Quote:
under,

I don't eat alot of salt. I have whoever helps me shop read labels, so I try to be careful to avoid salt whenever possible since it tends to make my tinnitus worse.

Do you know if diuretics can interfere with BP meds?
No I don't know whether diuretics interfere with BP meds, sorry. Thats something to ask a doctor. Diuretics don't really help with the pain that the edema causes it justs helps to heal the edema. This is only one type of med that I'm aware of that can help with edema as well. I don't know whether there are others. I hope you find the cause of the edema and that you can find something to help treat the pain. My grandma has this on her feet. Sometimes its even too painful for her to walk on.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:31 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by under View Post
No I don't know whether diuretics interfere with BP meds, sorry. Thats something to ask a doctor. Diuretics don't really help with the pain that the edema causes it justs helps to heal the edema. This is only one type of med that I'm aware of that can help with edema as well. I don't know whether there are others. I hope you find the cause of the edema and that you can find something to help treat the pain. My grandma has this on her feet. Sometimes its even too painful for her to walk on.
Thanks. I need to also talk to my GP about possible sleep apnea and having a sleep study done, so I will definitely mention the edema as well. I'm hoping that addressing both issues will help me feel better. I feel great as far as my BP is concerned, it's just the edema, CTS and migraines that are causing me problems.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 04-21-2009 at 11:32 AM.

Old 04-21-2009, 01:37 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

light the world HB User

Its good to hear that your BP is under control right now. May I ask dreams what CTS and sleep apnea is. I've never heard of those.

Old 04-21-2009, 01:42 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Its good to hear that your BP is under control right now. May I ask dreams what CTS and sleep apnea is. I've never heard of those.
CTS is carpal tunnel syndrome. It causes pain, tingling and burning in the hands. I wear wrist splints 24/7 (based on the recommendation of my PT and GP) on both of my hands to help control the pain, etc.

Sleep apnea is when a person stops breathing during their sleep. They may wake up in the middle of the night feeling like they can't breathe and struggle for air. People with sleep apnea oftentimes have fits of on again off again sleep and wake up feeling very tired. They may also have headaches upon awakening. I have all of these symptoms. When I wake up in the middle of the night, I feel like I'm about to die.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 04-21-2009 at 01:42 PM.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:12 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

irishwriter HB User

Quote:
hey under, good to see you on boards, how are you doing right now?

iw

Old 04-22-2009, 12:48 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

light the world HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishwriter View Post
hey under, good to see you on boards, how are you doing right now?

iw
Doing fine at the moment. I've had increased anxiety but my moods are level right now which is good.

Old 04-22-2009, 01:47 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

typeing HB User

dreams, just did a search, and the meds that can cause an edema are:
* Hormones like estrogen (in birth control pills or hormone replacement therapy) and testosterone
* A group of blood pressure lowering drugs called calcium channel blockers (such as nifedipine, amlodipine, diltiazem, felodipine, and verapamil)
* Steroids
* Antidepressants, including MAO inhibitors (such as phenelzine and tranylcypromine) and tricyclics (such as nortriptyline, desipramine, and amitriptyline)

*from another website... not sure if i can give the name... don't feel like being warned again...*
hypothyroid
cortizone deficient

Old 04-22-2009, 02:38 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeing View Post
dreams, just did a search, and the meds that can cause an edema are:
* Hormones like estrogen (in birth control pills or hormone replacement therapy) and testosterone
* A group of blood pressure lowering drugs called calcium channel blockers (such as nifedipine, amlodipine, diltiazem, felodipine, and verapamil)
* Steroids
* Antidepressants, including MAO inhibitors (such as phenelzine and tranylcypromine) and tricyclics (such as nortriptyline, desipramine, and amitriptyline)

*from another website... not sure if i can give the name... don't feel like being warned again...*
I think it's against board rules to mention websites, but it's okay. You gave me enough information. Thanks!

The only med I'm taking on that list is an anti-depressant -- Fluoxetine -- but my edema started before my pdoc prescribed it.

My edema was diagnosed in December, but I didn't start taking Fluoxetine until January.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 04-22-2009 at 02:40 PM.

Old 04-22-2009, 02:42 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

typeing HB User

Quote:
I think it's against board rules to mention websites, but it's okay. You gave me enough information. Thanks!

The only med I'm taking on that list is an anti-depressant -- Fluoxetine -- but my edema started before my pdoc prescribed it.

My edema was diagnosed in December, but I didn't start taking Fluoxetine until January.
hmmm. i'm sorry. no idea
hypothyroid
cortizone deficient

Old 04-22-2009, 02:57 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeing View Post
hmmm. i'm sorry. no idea
No problem. I have an appointment with my GP on Monday to discuss my edema, possible sleep apnea and having a sleep study done.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Closed Thread